Big boys on 250f’s

jj584

PR Addict
I’m sure this has been discussed time and time again but here we go. I’m a fat dude sitting at 230, currently riding a 2008 kx450f. Can the modern 250’s pull me around decently without overworking the motor and causing undo stress? I’m seeing some very enticing numbers for new bikes and weighing all options. The hidden question... 2018 kx250f or 2018 crf250r?

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
If you have the budget for a 18 honda have you ever thought about a KTM? 4 more ponies right off the floor. From what I have read is the honda is a revver and to get into horsepower you need to be in the mid-top. That being said you can get some steals on last years model kawis/yami’s in the spring. I saw an 18 KX250F at cernic’s for like $5700. Keefer testing inc podcast (DTS turned me on to it) has some really good no bullshit content, check that out for sure. Way better than the magazines.

Sent from my iPhone using PitRacer mobile app

Reactions: DTS

jj584

PR Addict
If you have the budget for a 18 honda have you ever thought about a KTM? 4 more ponies right off the floor. From what I have read is the honda is a revver and to get into horsepower you need to be in the mid-top. That being said you can get some steals on last years model kawis/yami’s in the spring. I saw an 18 KX250F at cernic’s for like $5700. Keefer testing inc podcast (DTS turned me on to it) has some really good no bullshit content, check that out for sure. Way better than the magazines.

18 kx250f can be had at the moment for 5400, I love the look of the Honda, the feel and the features and of course the build quality. The engine is not tuned how my kid and I ride though. He currently rides an 05 crf250r and I’m always kicking around the idea of a new bike. I do not personally want anything to do with the triple air fork so I’m avoiding the kaw 450. I also hate that our bikes don’t match brand at the moment.... petty I know, first world problems. I’ve checked ktm off my list, no real local dealer, don’t like the feel I hear parts are expensive. Still trying to figure out if a 250f will live through my size.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
18 kx250f can be had at the moment for 5400, I love the look of the Honda, the feel and the features and of course the build quality. The engine is not tuned how my kid and I ride though. He currently rides an 05 crf250r and I’m always kicking around the idea of a new bike. I do not personally want anything to do with the triple air fork so I’m avoiding the kaw 450. I also hate that our bikes don’t match brand at the moment.... petty I know, first world problems.

Air forks scare me off too. Changing pressures and all that crap. I don’t know enough to want to mess with that everytime I go to the track. Word around the campfire is kawi is going have spring forks on the 19 450f.

jj584

PR Addict
Air forks scare me off too. Changing pressures and all that crap. I don’t know enough to want to mess with that everytime I go to the track. Word around the campfire is kawi is going have spring forks on the 19 450f.

I hear that too but I wouldn’t buy new unless it’s a deal and that’s usually on older stock. I’m thinking 2 18 kx250f’s or I’m going to have to look at the Suzuki closer. Just feels wrong to buy an 18 rmz250f when I can buy a 14 and get the same bike!

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
No brainer there! Lol kawi has a really good 250f motor. My 16’ hits hard as hell on the bottom and pulls nice. I’ll most likely get an 18’ kawi in the spring. I want to test ride some other brands though to see if anything sways me.

D

DTS

Keefer tested.. all the info you could ever want on any 2018 250f.

IMG_0986.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DelBalso28

PR Addict
350 is an amazing bike.
Ktm parts may be more expensive, but once you see the quality, especially internally, you understand why. You can buy the same aftermarket stuff as any other brand for the same price, but chances are you'll prefer to go with oem Ktm because the stuff is that good.
A lot of times aftermarket parts are an upgrade from oem manufacturers, but compared to Ktm they are downgrades imo.
Just some food for thought on that topic.

Team MMR

PR Addict
No brainer there! Lol kawi has a really good 250f motor. My 16’ hits hard as hell on the bottom and pulls nice. I’ll most likely get an 18’ kawi in the spring. I want to test ride some other brands though to see if anything sways me.

Your welcome to try out my yami 250F anytime we are at ram jam or any track for that matter.

jj584

PR Addict
I guess in new model new year excitement im losing track of my goal. I want to get into the efi world with really low hours or new. He’s ridden an 11kx250f, a 14kx250f, and a 17YZF250, he didn’t really rave about any of them over his 05 crf250r. Looking at the reviews and power curves I know the 18 Honda ,and KTM just isn’t for him. He’s not a rev limiter rider. Any opinion from the local average rider on the 17 Honda, or even 16? I still see some of these around.

SCHAFFERNOCKER

PR Addict
I’m sure this has been discussed time and time again but here we go. I’m a fat dude sitting at 230, currently riding a 2008 kx450f. Can the modern 250’s pull me around decently without overworking the motor and causing undo stress? I’m seeing some very enticing numbers for new bikes and weighing all options. The hidden question... 2018 kx250f or 2018 crf250r?

I'm 220 here on a 16 RMZ450. It's not that a modern 250F wont pull you around, its that you'll struggle to get over an obstacle that a 450 would make in 2nd gear, bogged down. I love the yellow bike, the air forks work great, but you need to be watchful and have patience for them. SRS helped me find my setting, I started with their suggestion and changed a little here and there to find my comfort zone. A couple PSI can make the world of a difference. If you see me at the track and haven't made a purchase yet, come say something I'll let you take a test ride.

jj584

PR Addict
We are hoping to be at briarcliff Sunday, I’m going to have pay closer attention to other people’s rides.