Do we really want to continue to call this “Supercross”

hershey

PR Elite
49 main event laps.... ZERO passes for the lead. Yeah, real exciting.

Who cares??? The entire rest of the field was a nail biter!

He was protested and docked 7 points, but gets to keep his win.

Does the rule not state between the flag and the downed rider? It looked to me the rider was between the first ans second jump of the triple. Martin doubled the last two after passing the downed rider. BS call if so IMO.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
From the rulebook:
7. When used on a triple jump, the area of concern is at a minimum, the whole obstacle, I.E. if a rider is down on the face of the triple or after the first or second jump you must not jump any section of the triple.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
So John Gallagher can pick from this list:
d. The Race Director may pronounce the following penalties. 1. Warning 2. Fine 3. Lap deductions or finishing position deductions 4. Time and/or point penalties 5. Disqualification 6. Suspension 7. Probation not exceeding 12 months from the date of offence

Very interesting how there are options and it is up to ONE guy. No way could that be suspicions at all.

On a completely non related topic. A Brinks truck had a "flat tire" outside the Gallagher home on Monday.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
So John Gallagher can pick from this list:
d. The Race Director may pronounce the following penalties. 1. Warning 2. Fine 3. Lap deductions or finishing position deductions 4. Time and/or point penalties 5. Disqualification 6. Suspension 7. Probation not exceeding 12 months from the date of offence

Very interesting how there are options and it is up to ONE guy. No way could that be suspicions at all.

On a completely non related topic. A Brinks truck had a "flat tire" outside the Gallagher home on Monday.
Then tell all your riders to organize. Then they can arbitrarily have a seat at an appeals table. Otherwise shut up. If the riders want to let crap like that happen it’s on them.

Alex186

PR Member
From the rulebook:
7. When used on a triple jump, the area of concern is at a minimum, the whole obstacle, I.E. if a rider is down on the face of the triple or after the first or second jump you must not jump any section of the triple.

Your looking at the old rulebook. They changed the rules this past year to not allow one person to make a decision. The 2018 Rulebook states the following:

Page 61
Defines Race Direction
a. The Race Direction is composed of three officials: 1. AMA Delegate 2. Race Director 3. Clerk of course

Page 54
Determines penalties allowed by Race Direction
d. Race Direction may pronounce the following penalties. 1. Warning 2. Fine 3. Lap deductions or finishing position deductions 4. Time and/or point penalties 5. Disqualification 6. Suspension 7. Probation not exceeding 12 months from the date of offence

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Then tell all your riders to organize. Then they can arbitrarily have a seat at an appeals table. Otherwise shut up. If the riders want to let crap like that happen it’s on them.
NO
That is what the AMA is for.
Feld / AMA have changed that rule more times than any other since the lights started showing up. BECAUSE they are afraid to inforce it. Ruling like that could hurt the tons of dollars rolling in from Honda.
So you keep the trophy and the win in the record books, but not the points of the cash? So next question is... Where does that extra cash go since they did not give it to Martin?
Why don't promoters on a local level enforce the no pit riding rule? Because it will hurt the bottom line.
Rules... What are they good for? Absolutely nothing!

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Your looking at the old rulebook. They changed the rules this past year to not allow one person to make a decision. The 2018 Rulebook states the following:

Page 61
Defines Race Direction
a. The Race Direction is composed of three officials: 1. AMA Delegate 2. Race Director 3. Clerk of course

Page 54
Determines penalties allowed by Race Direction
d. Race Direction may pronounce the following penalties. 1. Warning 2. Fine 3. Lap deductions or finishing position deductions 4. Time and/or point penalties 5. Disqualification 6. Suspension 7. Probation not exceeding 12 months from the date of offence
Alex, Who are those 3 people at that race?

Alex186

PR Member
I believe the AMA Delegate is Mike Pelletier, the Race Director is John Gallagher (agree with you.. not a fan of that guy) and the Clerk of the Course rotates between Tim McAdams and some other FIM Stewards.

I went to Indy, was my 1 supercross I do each year. Honestly, I was in the truck and saw this whole situation (during and post race). And I came away thinking... "man, I wish these team managers, pro agents, and pro team owners acted more like 50cc parents" Was kind of embarrassing to hear some "respected, influential" people say the dumbest, ignorant stuff. Pretty sad to think maybe Knox and most pitracer gurus has more common sense then some of these guys. Btw.. Martin and couple of the other riders, completely professional, understanding, respectful, etc. Now how do we get the adults to act like that?

Made me feel good to talk to some of these next generation riders. The Reeds, Carmichael, Stewart, even Windham.. the last generation was peckerheads. But almost all the 250 guys and the top 450 guys... super cool dudes. Had some really good conversations about some future stuff, them donating some time and efforts to the sport. Kinda pumped.

Last edited:

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
"man, I wish these team managers, pro agents, and pro team owners acted more like 50cc parents" Was kind of embarrassing to hear some "respected, influential" people say the dumbest, ignorant stuff.

Can you expand on that?...your like danglin the carrot lol. Suppose I can understand if you CANT.

Alex186

PR Member
I won't say names. But I'll say that some of the most respected, popular individuals, when they spoke and words came out of their mouths. I looked at them and said to myself, "wait, seriously, you just said that?" Some of these guys basically oversee some of the largest companies in the industry. It would be like talking to Steve Jobs and him saying, "how do I turn on this stupid iphone." And there were a couple of individuals there like that.. and 20 years ago I would be asking them for their autographs.

Says alot about the industry... oh wait I'm in the industry... s**t.

Alex186

PR Member
Ok I'll share this one... I'll describe the individual as a 'major player' in the pro racing industry. He was mad, he was getting loud, he was arguing that the AMA was following their own rules, he had a 2013 AMA Supercross rulebook. They gave him a 2018 rulebook and he left.

Hilarious.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I believe the AMA Delegate is Mike Pelletier, the Race Director is John Gallagher (agree with you.. not a fan of that guy) and the Clerk of the Course rotates between Tim McAdams and some other FIM Stewards.

I went to Indy, was my 1 supercross I do each year. Honestly, I was in the truck and saw this whole situation (during and post race). And I came away thinking... "man, I wish these team managers, pro agents, and pro team owners acted more like 50cc parents" Was kind of embarrassing to hear some "respected, influential" people say the dumbest, ignorant stuff. Pretty sad to think maybe Knox and most pitracer gurus has more common sense then some of these guys. Btw.. Martin and couple of the other riders, completely professional, understanding, respectful, etc. Now how do we get the adults to act like that?

Made me feel good to talk to some of these next generation riders. The Reeds, Carmichael, Stewart, even Windham.. the last generation was peckerheads. But almost all the 250 guys and the top 450 guys... super cool dudes. Had some really good conversations about some future stuff, them donating some time and efforts to the sport. Kinda pumped.

Interesting take on some past champions

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Thanks for posting that Alex. I have a pretty good guess on who was throwing a hissy fit. Did I grow up racing against him? :)

MX955

PitRacer Pro
Knox if you're bored with watching SX catch some of the MXGP races on CBS Sports, exciting outdoor racing going on!

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Knox if you're bored with watching SX catch some of the MXGP races on CBS Sports, exciting outdoor racing going on!
Maybe that’s why I am so irritable. The anchor changed our tv deal to direct tv and now I don’t get cbs sports. Damn her.