Battle for Ohio round 1: Malvern

Toddco327

PR Addict
So how was the racing day 1? Any updates? Wasn't able to make the drive out to watch but hopefully someone has pics they can post.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
We made it through most of the first set before the rain came in, became a mudder for the last 2-3 motos. Then we were getting ready to run the second set and we had 2- 30 minute lightening delays, based on the radar it didn’t look like it was going to stop as another big wave of T storms was fast approaching. A riders meeting was called, riders voted to just count moto 1 scores.

Tyler And Tanner collected wins in A and B, Troy Mercer won Vet followed by me then Bwood. Ashley (#53) grabbed the holeshot in C and led wire to wire with Jimmy Hoover in Second. Not sure on the other classes.

On the track, the sand was awesome, I think it made the track more raceable, slowed it down a tad. I like the footprint a little better, except for some of the chicanes made for tough passing options. I think for night racing, this is the answer. Less things to worry about in the dark. For day racing, I think they’re missing a couple separater jumps. Which I think bob does plan to keep adding, the weather kind of tied his hands this spring. I can’t wait to see where this is headed for their super series, he jumps needs dry weather to complete what he has started.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
428 for the weekend. I drove through rain the whole way home, they were probably on dozers for 3-4 hours this morning, got the track in good shape, practice started at 9, racing at 10:30, still a respectable start, faster than some battles have stated with dry weather!

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
Boy had a great time, he loves the new lay out.

He and his memaw.

Attachments

• IMG_20180527_153625.jpg
    IMG_20180527_153625.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 175

TowerGal

PR Founding Father
Great weekend of racing! Battle Round 1 is complete! Thank you to everyone who attended, your support is appreciated! Points and results can be found at http://www.tracksideresults.com/omxa/

Bobbie and crew did a great job getting the track back in shape after all the rain they had! When I got there at 5:30AM, they looked like they had been hard at it for quite some time! Congratulations everyone - Onward to TV LAND for Rnd 2 at the end of June!!!

Hause#0

PR Addict
Bobby and his crew did an AMAZING job! When I got there at 6, there were standing water puddles on the track.... I had no intention of riding. Those guys guys worked their a***s off! Scraping and draining puddles. When practice started the track was incredible! Almost couldn't believe it! Was great all day! Thanks to all who made it happen!

nitrofish

PR Addict
Amazing job to the entire crew! We had no hope of racing after watching it storm all night long. You guys made it raceble by the first practice! Rewind a little bit to Saturday, the place looked great, new grass, trees, banks graded and shaped. Tons of behind the scenes effort that can easily go unnoticed. Racing was great in many classes, I usually don’t watch a lot, but when I would hear Derek gettin’ all fired up, I’d head to the fence. Concessions must have been pretty darn good, the boy ate 3 burgers, fries and a bunch of ice cream. Sign up was the same as all OMA events. Perfect! Great start to the battle series! Thank you.

John250

PR Founding Father
Track crew did a great job for what they had to work with today. Great job And pretty efficent considering they got a late start i actually liked the track with the woods section and the S corners after the finish cut out.

Lots of Vets laying on the ground in moto one. Lotts went down hard with someone else. Gabriel went down, saw him icing his shoulder. I went down in a corner on lap one started passing guys, a slower rider was in the main line over the finish so i went far left to jump past him, only to get kicked by a big kicker and lost it, after almost saving it. Williams got bucked off in moto 2 by a kicker over that jump also. Moto 2 i was not feeling it with all the chop, and basically rode around.

My son rode not so great with 14 and 12 finishes in moto 1. Moto 2, he finally woke up and got good starts and got two 6th place finishes. 35 in 250c.

Disappointing that only a handful of riders from southwest ohio make the trip north to ride these races. Would be great if OMA and Race Ohio could make this even better working together to make it even better 2 races from OMA, two races from Race Ohio for the state championship. Then we would truly get those southern guys north and the northern guys south for 2 races. These by far are the best three races in ohio, and the competition is tough.

Romanyak256

PR Addict
Who is Chris McKinney? Want to know how fast the Vet 30 plus class is? He got 1st in the 125 class, beating Trevor Maley and got 4th in Vet 30 plus! Great job to this Vet guy, showing the young ones how to ride a 125!

I raced with mckinney back in ‘14 in 25+, he was typically a front runner in that class. I believe back then he was on one of fredrik noren’s ktm250sxf

flyin polack

PR Addict
Was standing by the fence watching the Malvern crew do their thing and 2 mini parents were grumbling about how bad it was going to be. I looked at them and said “It’s Malvern...They’ll be watering by noon” Sure enough 1:00 intermission was dusty and needed water.
Great job! Track was doable in practice and prime for racing. Ruts in corners but fast ways around them. Smooth jump take offs and landings. Great effort when things looked impossible. Very well managed!

Last edited:

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
Was standing by the fence watching toe Malvern crew do their thing and 2 mini parents were grumbling about how bad it was going to be. I looked at them and said “It’s Malvern. They’ll be watering by noon” Sure enough 1:00 intermission was dusty and needed water.
Great job! Track was doable in practice and prime for racing. Ruts in corners but fast ways around them. Smooth jump take offs and landings. Great effort when things looked impossible. Very well managed!
I will admit I was very concerned, even thought about pulling the boy out of the 50 Open race and just doing the 50 Jr, because mud races tear up the little bikes clutches and top ends and he has his regional race this coming weekend. After watching moto 1 race I knew it was going to be great. The whole malvern crew done a fantastic job, I made sure to find the owner and thank him and tell him they did a great job.

Zman

PR Addict
We asked good friends from Ontario Canada to come down for the event as gates up there are small. They were super happy they made the trip..track was great despite the rain and he was lucky enough to see bigger gates and a
couple of national US kids in his classes

For Mitch and our family it was great to catch up with our local Moto families..was great seeing so many people we know .

Cheers to Bobby and crew..killed it!

..and On the Road Photography for the memories of the day.
A0FD4622-1B1D-44FE-8D8D-8AED660FDA95.jpeg

Solid Birthday gift for a kid on his 14th bday..no? LOL

hershey

PR Elite
On the road photography always does a fantastic job! Bobby from Malvern worked a deal and all the downloads are FREE! Look on his page for Saturday photos too.

https://www.ontheroadmx.com/MOTOCROSSSUPERCROSS/Malvern-Track-Photos/2018/BATTLE-FOR-OHIO-SUN-52718/

Malvern did a fantastic job! After the amount of rain that fell I couldn't believe how awesome the track was in practice let alone the remainder of the day. The boy and I had a blast.

The only negative was the hillbillies that parked next to us. Ugh.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
On the road photography always does a fantastic job! Bobby from Malvern worked a deal and all the downloads are FREE! Look on his page for Saturday photos too.

https://www.ontheroadmx.com/MOTOCROSSSUPERCROSS/Malvern-Track-Photos/2018/BATTLE-FOR-OHIO-SUN-52718/

Malvern did a fantastic job! After the amount of rain that fell I couldn't believe how awesome the track was in practice let alone the remainder of the day. The boy and I had a blast.

Was it me lol

flyin polack

PR Addict

I was parked caddy corner...

You put a very polite pass on me in the 50+ class...plenty of space, gave me lots of room. Good riding.