Cost of Bikes

John250

PR Founding Father
We've talked a lot on this forum about the cost of bikes, and if it is keeping people out of the sport, etc.

Well, I've been trying to sell three different bikes. A 2010 450, a 2016 125, and a 2018 250f. All going up in price from the 2010. All are priced at a price where they should be value wise, actually the 450 a little more than most would book value it at.

I figured the 8 year old 450 would be the one that I would sit on forever. Who wants an 8 year old 450 right? How I was wrong. I could have sold that bike 15 times over, and still have people contact me daily about it. But it was priced under $3000.

The 125 has had inquiries and the 250F just a few. Everyone and I mean everyone has something to trade. No, I don't want a boat, I've been offered a ton of different 4 wheelers, and one guy wanted to trade me a 2017 RMZ 250 (with $17K in it) for the 2018 stock Yamaha.

Point is, the higher the value, the less interest there seems to be in selling them. You would think a low hour year old 250F would be the first one to move. Someone that wants to race, can pick it up and save a couple grand. Does not look that way.

If anyone is looking for two excellent bikes, a 2016 YZ 125 or a 2018 YZ250F I still have a couple I am looking to move!!

John250

PR Founding Father
Been asked to deliver to 330 area codes about 5 times also. They will pay me an extra $400 to deliver. When I say sure, we need to meet at the local PD parking lot they never want to meet there. Home depot seems to be the meeting spot. I asked Georgie if Maple Heights is a good area...…….I guess it is not.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
that area is exactly where all of the bikes get stolen up here lol so no. good rule of thumb. if you're buying a dirt bike you have a way to haul it. if you do not have a way to pick it up, you're probably just trying to steal my bike.

but yes its always harder to sell a newer bike. been that way for years. i've taken deals selling newer bikes w/ 30 hours on them...trading 2 older bikes for it. only because i know i could sell those 2 easier..and every time ive done that im able to sell the 2 bikes for more than i was asking for my 1 bike. sure its a bit of a headache or risk but... it works.

it takes the right person to want to spend high dollar on a used bike when for another little bit you can just get a new one, and this time of the year its way worse. i'd rather off it now for a few hundred less than what you want, than sit on it all winter and then in the spring its 4 months older and worth less anyways.

Motodad23

PR Member
I'll trade you a 2015 yz250f for your 2018. Low hours never raced only ridden trails and my truck is in the shop so I'll need it delivered

jj584

PR Addict
People don’t have cash anymore. It’s easier to finance a new one then pay up front for a used one. People are scared of the 250f’s due to the maintenance, you can buy today and grenade tomorrow and be out an extra $1500. My buddy experienced this, bought a bike that was a good running machine, smooth started easy made no abnormal noises. His kid is a beginner and it dropped a valve, ruined the head to where you can’t rebuild it. Can’t find a used rebuildable head and a new one is as much as a 125. It’s tough. I have 2 18crfs a 450 and a 250, doubt I could get trade in value in cash from someone.

premix

PR Member
Detailed Pictures, detailed discriptions, post in multiple surrounding major cities on Craigslist and add to all of the local moto Facebook groups.

Price wise, the 125 is going to sell for between 3-3500 and the 250f is going to be a hard sell due to 2019 model change and the 2018’s being blown out at dealers for high 5’s. But it only takes one person with cash. Try offering as a package or accept a trade plus cash. Something you can make money on. Hell the last bike I sold I took in a rock river AR’s and a low dash S&W plus cash. Parted with the AR, kept the S&W.

ddmx488

PR Addict
I parted ways with a ‘13 KTM 450SXF, 22hrs, earlier this year for $4100. I wish I’d priced it higher when it only lasted 4 days but I’d had it priced at $4600 months earlier without a single bite. It is absolutely a buyers market and very much not a sellers.

honda907

PR Addict
Look at cycle trader prices on new bikes. If they are selling a brand new 2017 CRF 250 or RMZ 250 for 4999.00 in your area, you might as well sell a good, slightly used 2018 yz 250F for 4 grand.

No a up and coming kid doesn't want you yz250f. They need the badest new bike because they are special( like all of us) and that newest KX ZF is gonna make them the champ at mini Os!

That's the market. If you don't like it, don't sell it. I sell my bikes in days. Every year all the time. I price it to "sell".

Just some FYI

jj584

PR Addict
Everybody pretty much nailed all my continuing thoughts. What’s the next purchase? Is trading it in an option?

honda907

PR Addict
I look at KBB and set to trade in price. I sell it. Usually everyone thinks I'm giving it away. If it doesn't sell, I trade it in.

You have to find s good shop for trading though. Fortunately, I have 2 large MX dealers here in Central PA. They always trade.

2018 YZ 450 for for about 4500. New leftover ones here are 6700, so that's fair

2018 SFX KTM 250 is about 4700. No leftovers, so the price

If your financing a bike, that's on you. When we had a shop back in the mid 80's, bikes were a luxury and very hard to finance.

Moral is racing is expensive. I'm sorry, but that is the harsh reality. I look at bikes like a vacation all year. They cost 3k basically. I never tear into them and they are gone at about 40 hours. I never buy exhausts and that stuff. Your 450 today doesn't need it, and frankly, never did. Not for us normal people.

Even at Club MX, most of those training there ride box stock bikes. Just replace lots of wear items.

Unless your Brayton or Nicolette......

Last edited:

jj584

PR Addict
Another option if you local shop will do it is consignment. Dealer has financing options for the buyer. Maybe they’ll sell it on consignment for 10-15%.

John250

PR Founding Father
I agree with Honda 907. I usually price them to sell also. My bikes are always kept pristine condition, so when someone sees them, they usually jump on them from the condition of them. I really thought I had these two priced to sell, with room to come down on the price. Because of the price, low hours and condition the 450 could have been sold 10 times over.

907, I also agree on the mods. These 250 and 450s are so good a majority of riders can not ride them to what they are capable of, so they are truly wasting their money on $1000 pipes and exhaust.

As soon as they sell, I am buying a new 250 and 450.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
I usually buy from Greg Cameron. He prices all
His Motorcycles after blunt trauma to the head. Or Atleast that’s Only reason I can I think of for why and how he prices like he does. In fact they’re usually better manicured than a bike out of the crate.:eek:

But as far as cost of things. I just bought a lawn mower for more than I have paid for a lot of dirtbikes. What the hell..... this adulting with acreage SUCKS. But I will say dirtbikes have taught me how to hard negotiate and buy at the right time..... .
C53366C6-86F9-4D63-A1FC-FA5C4F523857.jpeg

Last edited:

hershey

PR Elite
Wrong time of the year to sell them. In Feb those things will sell in heart beat. The 125 will go for about 4k is say. There are 05, 06 yamis going for 3 to 3200.

John250

PR Founding Father
Wrong time of the year to sell them. In Feb those things will sell in heart beat. The 125 will go for about 4k is say. There are 05, 06 yamis going for 3 to 3200.
Agree. But I am giving deals to get them moved and get some time on new bikes before March.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Keep the 125 and put your old but on that Then you don't have to worry about all the power of a 450 body slamming you.
The 250f... somehow got stolen. Insurance claim. And NEVER buy another 250f again. Buy a 250 smoker and you will be able to sell it for good money. OR keep it forever..... Rebuild it completely each winter for the price of a fart bike head gasket.

Every time I see an aftermarket exhaust or hubs on a fart bike I laugh. ZERO chance anyone is using all the power the stock pipe is making... and the first dime size chunk of dirt gets stuck to the bike, you just negated the weight savings of the hubs. But they sure look pretty.

Keep the 125 Johnny, I will be your oil sponsor. I have enough Yamalube in the garage to keep the state supplied for years.

Reactions: DTS