Maintenance schedules

For my 144:

Top every 20. Top and bottom every 40. That might Be overkill but I’d rather not push the big bore long intervals like I would a stock 4 stroke.
Oil change every 3 hours.

Air filter 1-2 rides, sand every ride. Hard pack...2-3. Depends.

My husky:

Books says every 1.0 hours change oil. I use belray with ester. Top shelf s**t. Change every 3 hours. 1 hour it doesnt look used. Hell after 3 it comes out still mostly blue with a slight grey hue. Probably could get away with 10 hours with that oil.

Change oil filter with every oil change.
Also do the fuel filter with every oil change.

Same with air filters. Almost every ride. I have a couple of pre filters I use at sand tracks. Went up to Michigan for a weekend. Ride at suoercoop. Peeled the pre filter off when I got to Baja. Was like new. Changed again once I got home....but that was nasty sand. Around Ohio I don’t use pre-filters. And if it’s not dusty don’t really have to change every ride.

I’m gonna run it in my lawnmower. That calls for oil change every 100 hours. We will see how it holds up in the zero turn.

theres no way that manual says 1 hr on oil change. hell my honda manual i think says 10 which is a no thank you...

Oil every 3 hours. Oil filter every other. Air filter changing depends on where I rode at. Crf got a new top end and valves checked at like 20 hrs due to the recall. Otherwise I doubt I’d put enough hours on it during my time owning it to worry about it.

I also use the rotella 15/40 in my yz250f. Change it around 5 hrs and oil filter every other oil change. Air filter as needed but I agree the yz sucks up a lot of dirt. I have new filters but I also clean and reuse got to keep it on a budget. Check valves once a year haven't needed shimmed yet. When my son was on a 2 stroke I was doing a top end in that thing twice a year......don't miss that at all lol

Where did you read that?

I didn’t. I was having clutches issues on my Honda , I called both companies and was picking their brain about my shitty Honda clutch. Both companies said they no longer suggest it because Shell added an additive that was too slick for wet clutches.

Rotella came out smelling funny anytime I tried it in a clutch. I've heard that the newer rotella formula has eliminated the zinc, which I think has more implications for older machinery, but I only put that stuff in dozers, trucks, and tractors, so.....

I didn’t. I was having clutches issues on my Honda , I called both companies and was picking their brain about my shitty Honda clutch. Both companies said they no longer suggest it because Shell added an additive that was too slick for wet clutches.
Have not had any issues on my yz clutches.. wonder if its the difference between the t-3 and t-4 formula..

looking on the shell site... t-4 conventional oil t-5 semi synthetic blend t-6 full synthetic... i am not a 4 stroke guy but i thought synthetic oils where to slippery for wet clutches..

Hmmm i've always used the $14 jug of dyno 15w40, never T6

Luckily I have 4 of the old jugs still on the shelf since my riding has decreased to almost nothing.

For 2018 I found out how to never have to maintain bikes......just don't ride!

My 2018 450 that I've owned for 14 months has 12 hours on it and has required one air filter change. Most of the local riding I did with the bike (BC, Cabin, YTown, OIR) the air filter never even got dirt on it. It wasn't until I took it to FLA that the filter got dirty and I needed to change it!

Funny too -- I just saw the dirty OEM filter in a bag under my bench a week ago. I figured, Oh I might as well clean it....so I filled up the sink with Oxyclean and hot water, tossed it in there, wrangled it all around, then realized I forgot this was the OEM filter and had petroleum based oil on it! (not no-toil) DOH!

In 2016 I ran T4 for most of the year until my clutch started smelling burnt. Around that time is when they changed to a new bottle and I guess a new formula. I switched back to Belray and never had a problem.

When I had my ‘14 KX250f I’d change the oil every 3-4 hours (Amsoil 10-40 full synthetic) new air filter when necessary, and new top end/clutch every season. Never split the cases. Never had a problem for the 3 years I owned it.

For my ‘17 yz250 I do the mostly the same. Checked the clutch a few weeks ago and at 35 hours the plates still look brand new. The only difference is I’m putting a new piston in it every 20 hours. Might be a little unnecessary but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Never tried the Notoil. You guys like it? Might have to give it a shot.

ive been using it for years, i really like it. i use oil i just dump on out of a bottle, never was a fan of any aerosol air filter oil for some reason.... you just have to make sure you're using their cleaner/oil together and it works very well.

ive used their air filters too for a while, i wouldnt put them up there w/ the other top air filter manufacturers, but youll get a good season out of them for sure. I've recently picked up some of their chain lube.. haven't formed an opinion on that yet lol. It sprays on very thin, but has a lot of great reviews... I think I've only rode once since getting it.

after reading some of the threads on the rotella, I think I'm going to put it back on the shelf, I'd say I noticed a little notchy shifting since the rebranded t to t4.. (never used t6). I just figured it was made up in my head, but if that's a characteristic of that oil then Id say i've noticed it. looks like maxima will go in the bikes in 2019!

Back