2019 COCR Schedule

NQ1965

PR Elite
My first GP race at COCR. It was everything I had hoped for, and then some.

Roughly 3-1/2 mile course, very fast sections, challenging sections, great elevation variations, and very scenic.

The 11:00 session was fun, but had some sections, (uphills) that turned into peg deep mud ruts which ultimately resulted in racers getting cross rutted and jacked up midway up the hills. That got pretty aggravating. But we survived it. Afterward they rerouted the course which helped tremendously.

The Afternoon 3:00 session was a RACE!
Didn't get hung up anywhere, carried really good speed most everywhere and just started turning the laps. Was fun being back on the MX track airing it out over the jumps again.

I know that the guys working at the track are all volunteers and I appreciate that, but they did make a major scoring goof on our 50+ race results. They had Jeffro667 scored as "Last Place" when he holeshotted and then led most of, if not the whole race. I came in fifth out of 5, and I never saw Jeff once after the start. In fact if I had taken any longer on my final lap he would have lapped me, because he came in after me.

I'll definitely be back. (just not after any rain storms, haha )

Last edited:

jeffro667

PR Addict
My first GP race at COCR. It was everything I had hoped for, and then some.

Roughly 3-1/2 mile course, very fast sections, challenging sections, great elevation variations, and very scenic.

The 11:00 session was fun, but had some sections, (uphills) that turned into peg deep mud ruts which ultimately resulted in racers getting cross rutted and jacked up midway up the hills. That got pretty aggravating. But we survived it. Afterward they rerouted the course which helped tremendously.

The Afternoon 3:00 session was a RACE!
Didn't get hung up anywhere, carried really good speed most everywhere and just started turning the laps. Was fun being back on the MX track airing it out over the jumps again.

I know that the guys working at the track are all volunteers and I appreciate that, but they did make a major scoring goof on our 50+ race results. They had Jeffro667 scored as "Last Place" when he holeshotted and then led most of, if not the whole race. I came in fifth out of 5, and I never saw Jeff once after the start. In fact if I had taken any longer on my final lap he would have lapped me, because he came in after me.

I'll definitely be back. (just not after any rain storms, haha )
Yeah, it was a fun track for the 3 o'clock session. No biggie on the scoring, I'm just glad that they're keeping a good gp track going! Great seeing you there Mike!

k01

PR Elite
Good on you guys for getting a nice GP put together.
About how many laps did you do around the course - per session ?
At 11:00 I got the big holeshot for my row, pulled over to let everyone go, just rode one lap and finished as well as holeshot 667 did in his session. :D Just wasn't into it Sunday. :rolleyes: Did enjoy the company, even hippie Mike! ;) They supposedly did 45 minutes plus a lap. :cool:

NQ1965

PR Elite
I believe I got 7 laps in on the 3:00 session. Thinking I got 5 on the first.

I'll tell you if a motocross racer wants to build racing stamina and riding skills, doing GP's on the side are the way to go.

Even though it didn't happen, I wanted to get an early start this year racing so that I would be my best by Vintage Days, for both the Cross Country race and MX.
The morning mud wasn't ideal conditions for a GP, but I knew that I still needed those conditions for sort of spring training if you will. It always takes me a race or two to blow the cobb webs out from the winter and regain skills. And of course to help me improve. Who doesn't need more practice tackling mud and ruts right?

When we lined up for the afternoon session, they announced the re-routes and I got really hopeful for a better track. The re-routes took a lap or two to adjust to, but once you got it in your head, you began seeing ways to attack it. So now we had a track that we could carry speed nearly the entire way. But, with that your riding style and mindset had to change as well.

The whole track had dried out a good bit, and the course was becoming worn in from the traffic. It got fast! Carrying more speed around the track, had to stay really focused and responsive.
I recall getting to like lap five and thinking to myself, damn was hoping for a Last Lap flag. No deal...another green. Ended up going two more laps.
Approaching an hour you have to start being smart and careful without losing speed. Your energy is depleted, your legs are shot, (and my damn camel pack hose was pinched off under my Leatt brace).

The race start is just as intense as with motocross, and you try to keep that race pace everywhere that you can without blowing through corners. But you have to go 45-55 minutes.

Mark's teasing me, but I really believe that my new Hippie hair is making me faster. :D

Last edited:

Ron505

PR Founding Father
I'm glad it was fun. I wasn't able to be there, buto I heard that they found out quickly what the glitch was, and it won't happen again. But, everyone has to be signed up at least 15 minutes before their session.

Next up is the buckeye series June 1st and 2nd. Let's get some full gates!

Romanyak256

PR Addict
Track was awesome, wish it was marked a little better after where you go by the pond. I raced the 1:30 session in heavy weight B and A class was with us, i was 3rd off the start but passed everyone and won the whole session, fastest lap time of 6:08, i got in 11 laps total. Was definitely fun and wished they would’ve kept the muddy rutted uphill because it was definitely a separator in that race for sure. You can really tell when a motocross racer hits the track vs a woods guy haha, i had the leader of A class on my ass until we hit the MX track and i was gone.

jstory

PR Addict
I had a good time. I rode the 11:00 and 3:00 sessions. In the first one I made a rookie mistake and almost flooding my bike on the start. Got going way behind and ended up third in the Open class. At 3:00 got a much better start and quickly got to the front. Then almost missed the turn where the track change was and stalled my bike. Brad Sells passed me and I stuck with him the entire race. Two laps to go and he stalled his bike and I regained the lead and held on the win the overall and 40+. It was a blast racing him. With his woods background I was pushing to hang with him each lap through the woods but could catch back up in the fast sections and moto part. Just what I needed to help push my pace in the woods.

Looking forward to the Full Gas Sprint Enduro this weekend in WV. You get to ride on a golf course. How cool is that.

Ron505

PR Founding Father
I had a good time. I rode the 11:00 and 3:00 sessions. In the first one I made a rookie mistake and almost flooding my bike on the start. Got going way behind and ended up third in the Open class. At 3:00 got a much better start and quickly got to the front. Then almost missed the turn where the track change was and stalled my bike. Brad Sells passed me and I stuck with him the entire race. Two laps to go and he stalled his bike and I regained the lead and held on the win the overall and 40+. It was a blast racing him. With his woods background I was pushing to hang with him each lap through the woods but could catch back up in the fast sections and moto part. Just what I needed to help push my pace in the woods.

Looking forward to the Full Gas Sprint Enduro this weekend in WV. You get to ride on a golf course. How cool is that.
Great pace then man! Well done!

NQ1965

PR Elite
Ron505,
Now that they have electronic scoring it would be cool if they could post race stats and results on the COCR website.

Clair Story

PR Member
I had a good time too. The course was a good mix. It took me back to my roots of trail riding in the hills. Too bad there was so many races, etc going on that day. It would have been nice to have a larger turn out. I ran the 3:00 session only 50+ I got passed by Brad Sells and J Story (scoring said I did 7 laps and they did 8 laps) about a 1/2 a lap before the white flag. I didn't see Jeff on the start. I got a terrible start stalled as I took off had to restart my engine Gotta figure out the electric start dead engine thing...lol I still passed several guys on the first few corners and several on the course. No idea what class they were in. I felt I had a decent pace and never stalled or got hung up on the course even though my hands where pretty much numb half the race...lol. They had me at second but I'm betting Jeff was in front of me the whole race. Bummer the scoring was screwed up. Not sure how that happens when you have electronic and physical scoring both. I was looking forward to seeing my lap times compared to everyone else. It was fun and I plan to hit several GP's this year so looking forward to lining up with everyone again. Not sure how many MX races I will hit. I have a hard time setting around most of the day waiting to race.