Vet class

Meister

PR Founding Father
I should notate that my suggestion is for higher profile races.

I'm ok with the way it is locally. I know some 30+ guys that started late and barely ride that get spooked easily when a faster rider jumps or flys past them. 30c is perfect for them. It's kind of a wash though, because often times it's just a staggered start and they on the track at the same time as the normal +30..

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
the C riders probably feel the same way about lining up next to a guy like Gibson just as much as I do.. so that shouldnt change anything. If they are worried about it being a "c" class..thats why there is a C class they can go race.

so if its not going to be split with ab / c then definitely just one class.

either way i dont care. its not anything thats going to bring me to more races or keep me away. it just stinks racing 5 guys in any class. i would have loved to have all 25 30+ riders on the gate for one drop even if it was scored separately but i know most people hate that. i dont care where i finish, its the mixing it up through the pack and battling that is fun.

MX_Implements

PR Addict
This is funny subject. It’s always the “A” guy or the guys that barely get around the track saying just run them all together. I am kinda stuck in the middle as far as speed. From age 16-20 I had a few serious injuries that kept me from moving up to A class and progressing further.

In the Buckeye Series in southern Ohio we have a weird situation with all 25+/a and 30+/a.

3 out of the top 5 in regular 25+/30+ are A riders. Now all 5 of us are very close in speed and 6th place back there’s a huge speed difference.

In 25+A/30+A there always a low turnout 5-7 riders maybe.

Let’s say at COCR a few weeks ago they only ran one 30+/25+…

Here’s what the entry list looked like

Kilbarger

Micheal Willard

Jeff Gibson

Cody Adams

Bradley Baker

There’s a huge speed difference between those 5 and us. I don’t care who you are but racing for 6-10th place isn’t fun.

So where do you draw the line?

If you looks at class list in many areas and Vet riders are very under catered to. How many 50, 65 and 80 classes do we really need?

I would be willing to bet that vet riders spend more money on gear, bikes and parts than any other demographic of racers.

PR Member
If you want to grow the sport you need cater to the youth. The kids at the track are the ones learning and becoming better riders. If you get the youth hooked you have 30 plus years of those riders coming back. Vet riders for sure spend the most money. A lot of us have kids that ride and race so we spend double. I personally would much rather have my son catered to so he has a great time at the track.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I am proof that making a main 30 years ago should NOT dq me for any 40+ gate.
Make all vet classes 125’s and forget about trophies... now race
There’s a huge speed difference between those 5 and us. I don’t care who you are but racing for 6-10th place isn’t fun.

So, racing Bob, Jim and Ricky for 1st is more fun than racing Bob, Jim and Ricky for 8th???
Literally the only difference is the plastic trophy at the end.

You get a trophy, and you get a trophy...everyone gets a trophy...

Got it

MX_Implements

PR Addict
I am proof that making a main 30 years ago should NOT dq me for any 40+ gate.
Make all vet classes 125’s and forget about trophies... now race

So, racing Bob, Jim and Ricky for 1st is more fun than racing Bob, Jim and Ricky for 8th???
Literally the only difference is the plastic trophy at the end.

You get a trophy, and you get a trophy...everyone gets a trophy...

Got it

Minus the trophy part, your're correct. When's there's contingency money involved I do care.

When was the last time you raced?

If you're the same Chris Knox listed living in Vandalia and Brookville on the AMA website(which you are), you had no problem signing up for B/C and even C age classes not too long ago. They had VET "A" classes to ride those days, why didn't you sign up for them?

Meister

PR Founding Father
I'm telling you.. all classes +25 and up on 125s would be so bad ass.. it's what we all need! No skill designation. Just bike size limitations. This would put my fat ass at a big disadvantage, but it would be so fun.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Minus the trophy part, your're correct. When's there's contingency money involved I do care.

When was the last time you raced?

If you're the same Chris Knox listed living in Vandalia and Brookville on the AMA website(which you are), you had no problem signing up for B/C and even C age classes not too long ago. They had VET "A" classes to ride those days, why didn't you sign up for them?
Nope, somehow there is another dude with my name that lives in Brookville that raced. So no, that was not me.
Have not raced since 2017. Two back surgeries and complete foot numbness has all but crushed my hopes of returning. But, never say never.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I'm telling you.. all classes +25 and up on 125s would be so bad ass.. it's what we all need! No skill designation. Just bike size limitations. This would put my fat ass at a big disadvantage, but it would be so fun.
Racing the 125 a couple years ago was by far the most fun I ever had on a bike. Zero thought of where I finished, it just did not matter, the fun was competition with other dudes in my age group
If you cant have fun on a 125, you have issues.

jfalat

PR Addict
I have had a 125 up until last year.. wish i didn't sale it.. they are a blast.. i would race more if there was a good reason me to race. a 125 straight up vet class would be a blast and maybe bring in more vet guys to the races.. in the end i need a good reason to race or i will just go have fun riding practice every week.

MX_Implements

PR Addict
Nope, somehow there is another dude with my name that lives in Brookville that raced. So no, that was not me.
Have not raced since 2017. Two back surgeries and complete foot numbness has all but crushed my hopes of returning. But, never say never.

So you’re saying there’s a someone with that exact same name as you, races motocross, lives in the exact same area as you and coincidentally raced age group classes that you would,
isn’t you?
Hmmm.

Meister

PR Founding Father
When was the last time you rode a 125? I did a few weeks ago and nothing about it was fun other than sounding like I was hauling ass everywhere..

I rode a dog s**t slow 03 cr125 a few years ago. It was a hell of a work out and fun. I sounded like Stewart! Lol. I've been soooo tempted to buy a newer yz or ktm 150 for fun..

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
All of these are age old debates that don't have a real good answer. There are guys that were never allowed to ride motorcycles when they were kids that start when they are making money and living on their own, like age 25+ or so, and might actually be beginners. Those guys don't want to be on the track at the same time as the guy that's been racing for 20 years and is "fast" and "Jumps things", because they still need to go to work and don't want to get hurt. Thus the +30 C class was born............. but like all C class threads, there are guys that abuse it and are too good for C class. It's a weird thing and it's beating a dead horse on here. Of course everyone would like to "win" and get a first place trophy sometime, especially if you never got that chance growing up. But those worthless plaques they give now aren't really that cool compared to the old trophies from "back in the day", and my guess is, you have a nemesis on the track that you really care if you just beat him.

Anyway, whatever helps track owners get more riders and keeps tracks open is good with me, I just want a place to ride occasionally when life isn't in the way. I have liked both over the years - Just +30 where everyone is in there (District 14 in Michigan was always that way), and +30 A and +30 B/C ( District 5 in PA was this way that we'd always race in years ago and which is what I'm known for winning at Loretta Lynns). Now, I just like someone my speed that doesn't want to let me by that I can race for a few laps and feel like I had to work hard to "beat" that guy if I finish in front of him, or feel like I can race him again and beat him next time if I finish behind him. Whether that's for the lead at a local race, or for 20th place at Loretta Lynn's while getting lapped by John Grewe is fine with me. I ride for fun, enjoyment, exercise, and the excitement that only motocross can bring me - the trophies are meaningless to me at this point.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
So you’re saying there’s a someone with that exact same name as you, races motocross, lives in the exact same area as you and coincidentally raced age group classes that you would,
isn’t you?
Hmmm.
Bingo!
Of course he is nowhere as good looking as I am.
No lie, I checked in at my carpel tunnel doctor appointment last month and they asked me if I was from Brookville. She said "don't I know you?"
I, of course being the jerk that I am said "nope, from Vandalia and you would never forget me if you knew me"

Oh, and that shot they gave me lasted maybe 4 days... worthless. So now its time for surgery on that.