Dealerships vs online

As a trackside support vendor, we tend to stock most maintenance items the riders need. Aftermarket parts we don't have in the shop or on the trailer are usually available with 1 or 2 day shipping to our shop. OEM parts vary by brand. I've watched many local shops disappear due to a number of reasons ranging from a lack of support to poor management. The industry is all volume based so as large dealers get bigger, they get better pricing making it harder for the little guys to compete. Online shopping has evolved from what used to be cheaper prices till now it's more about the convenience of shopping from your smart phone/tablet while sitting on the couch. If you have a local shop, give them the opportunity to earn your business, most of them will price match when possible...... The industry is changing and shops must do what they can to adapt and survive........ Here's a closing thought for you guys...... If everyone keeps buying everything online and all the local shops close who's going to help you when u have a need service work, have a tech question, need a tube , spark plug or whatever on a Saturday afternoon?.........

Iron Pony seems to be kicking ass. Personally, I only buy VP race fuel from them. Prices on anything other than closeout items are MSRP.

Iron Pony seems to be kicking ass. Personally, I only buy VP race fuel from them. Prices on anything other than closeout items are MSRP.
I hate Pony with a passion. Online shopping is a joke the way it organized and everytime you call in it worse. It’s great for going in and trying on something that your unsure of the size. Than order it from your local dealer or online for 40% less.

It's a bummer to see shops closing down. I always try to support local moto stores. I recieved tons of help from breyley yamaha for years and they closed their doors this year. It was a sad day. My dad went there when he was a kid and I had always gotten my parts and any service I couldnt do myself done there. I know not everyone was super fond of breyleys but they always treated me and my family well. They even helped sponsor a race or two at OIR. Online sales played a roll but so did the decline in bike sales.

I agree sometimes it's easier to just order online and those online stores support the sport as a whole but local dealers have a lot to offer as well.

The incentives online are pretty cool but when you can find a dealer that will give you discounts or help on service it can be a savior too. I know there were times I needed something done to my bike on a Saturday to race sunday and breyleys would get it done within the day or make sure I had the parts to do it myself that night. I just dont see the online incentives being able to get that kind of stuff done.

Trackside support vendors are great. This is where I exclusively get tear-offs or any like emergency stuff.

I’ve bought tear offs, roll Off kits, lenses, spark plugs and tubes / tires from the vendors. Without them there would suck. Hoodies and t shirts made on site are nice for the wife or family that comes to watch.

Every dealer I have bought bikes from always say the exact same thing. "I'm not making anything on this deal" If this is true then why are you selling new bikes? Buying gear from a dealer is just like buying shoes from the neighborhood sporting goods place... oh, forgot they are all gone...Yeah, you buy them at Dick's or online...
A shop with a future is one that has great mechanics. The more complicated the bikes get the more the average joe cant work on them. Cant get that delivered to your door the next day.
We are all sentimental about going to the shop. Its fun to talk and be in our element, but as a business... I just don't think its going to last.

I know for years I used to call the local "big" dealer the "sorry its not in stock" shop... I totally understand why this was the case now. It is not cost effective to have such a large inventory. I have no problem buying things online. It is about the best deal and the quickest turn around.
I see the online bike purchasing coming at some point where you pick out and order your bike and it gets shipped to your house. I mean they are doing that with the cars at Caravan... who's starting the "bikevana"???

Back