What’s Harley Davidson doing?

Vet261

PR Addict
I think you guys are missing John259's main point and I well....ummm....gulp....agree with that he was trying to say. Can't believe I said that.

KTM has created a "Harley-Esq" following with their riders. They sell every sort of KTM branded item you can think of so you can adorn yourself and your house, garage, truck, trailer with KTM branded paraphernalia. Much like you can go into any Harley store and choose from all sorts of clothing, boots, stools, beer glasses, bla bla bla. It's a LIFESTYLE and KTM has copied that from Harley so to speak. They now have the KTM lifestyle.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future KTM opens their own dealerships in the same fashion Harley has with KTM, Husky, GasGas models all on display along with their entire range of accessories and branded items.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
The jap manufacturers have had the same - forever, but they didn't push it as hard - I've never gotten an accessory catalog from any of them like i did from my KTM purchase.
- you'll be amazed at what's out there for Yamaha & Honda - Think of all other products like instruments, autos - boats and such.
Google it - you'll be blown away.
Thing is - it's the jap brand "Brotherhood" isn't as concentrated to one style. Its diversified over a larger demographic so not as noticeable.
Plus, not too long ago most Japanese products were considered inferior

Last edited:

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
F21_x_Honda_-_21_Savage_Campaign_4_Lead_t600.jpg

You knew this pic was coming .....LOL !

RocketRobin

PR Founding Father
I think we need something new to talk about on this dirt bike site than Harley Davidson........... like will Suzuki field any SX/MX riders this year? Did all of the money disappear with the one finance lady who had been stealing from Suzuki USA forever? They have really fallen on hard times and I know it seems like the new RMZ's were going to bring them back, but the new bikes are heavier than other brands in the market, don't have electric start, and didn't set the world on fire when they were released. Now JGR can't get enough support to run a team for them, and it seems like Suzuki might just be the first Japanese motorcycle company casualty of this new world that we all live in.

John250

PR Founding Father
BINGO. Pit is 100% correct in my assessment of KTM. Nothing wrong with it. Yamaha has Blu Cru and GYTR stuff, but nothing like KTM. Yamaha also has done a great job copying the accessories for their Star motorcycle line.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
like will Suzuki field any SX/MX riders this year? Did all of the money disappear with the one finance lady who had been stealing from Suzuki USA forever? They have really fallen on hard times and I know it seems like the new RMZ's were going to bring them back, but the new bikes are heavier than other brands in the market, don't have electric start, and didn't set the world on fire when they were released. Now JGR can't get enough support to run a team for them, and it seems like Suzuki might just be the first Japanese motorcycle company casualty of this new world that we all live in.

Suzuki will be fine. Sales have went up brand wide.
Did you watch the Weege show posted this week? JGR is suffering for several reasons. 1. They have WAY too many employees for ONE rider signed. 2. The ONE rider they have signed is a mid pack rider unless he is on his home track. Hard to get sponsors for someone who is always in the pack = Zero airtime. 3. If "J-Bone" is selling something, no one is buying. He is a mechanic acting as a manager (and not very well) 4. Inventory of parts. Do they really need countless engines for a tiny team?
JGR is just like Honda of Troy was. After the shinny new team look wears off, then you are left with a mismanaged team pushing a product no one wants. Heck, they don't even "sell" anything. At least HoT had sales until the internet killed it.

Vet261

PR Addict
When I first bought my 18 RMZ450, all the rage coming from the Suzuki amateur team, etc was needing to get the different linkage arm.

I tried for weeks to purchase one from JGR. Emails, calls, voice mails. Never a single response, never a single answer when I called the phone. At that point the part was listed on their website but the online purchase option wasn't there.

Finally I gave up and bought one from Ride Engineering.

When I watched that RacerX video and saw the people at the desks, it completely reminded me of myself and coworkers at the office during the week of Xmas just keeping the lights on while most are on vacation. Basically we sit around, browse the web, do nothing really.

MX099

PR Addict
Suzuki will be fine. Sales have went up brand wide.
Did you watch the Weege show posted this week? JGR is suffering for several reasons. 1. They have WAY too many employees for ONE rider signed. 2. The ONE rider they have signed is a mid pack rider unless he is on his home track. Hard to get sponsors for someone who is always in the pack = Zero airtime. 3. If "J-Bone" is selling something, no one is buying. He is a mechanic acting as a manager (and not very well) 4. Inventory of parts. Do they really need countless engines for a tiny team?
JGR is just like Honda of Troy was. After the shinny new team look wears off, then you are left with a mismanaged team pushing a product no one wants. Heck, they don't even "sell" anything. At least HoT had sales until the internet killed it.

J-Bone is the down fall for JGR. Gosslar should be managing that operation.
Coy is too loyal to his people, and because of this he will let J-Bone sink the ship.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
You know, it could be said Obama killed the motorcycle boom... The dates lineup.

I would like to see the market research all the brands do and or consider during the design phase. I am sure Hardly has several models, but I swear they all look the same. One has solid wheels, another has handlebar streamers like my daughters bicycle. But the actual bike.... its the same. If that is your market then fine, but if you want to after a different market then you need to mix it up.
Hardly tried with Buell but as soon as they became controlling owners, sales started to fall. Why? well I don't see any Hardly owners run out and buy one when HD took over. Plus you alienated all your customers that didn't want to be in the "brotherhood" by selling out... or I guess from their angle, buying them out. HD just needs to stay in their lane bro' Sell that crap to the uneducated sheeple that think buying a motorcycle makes them a bad ass.

If I were in control of Suzuki I would concentrate on grass roots racing. Forget dumping money on second or third rate pro motocross teams. Develop a new 85 and 65 from this century. Heck, be the first Jap brand to jump back in the 50 game and the 2 stroke game. (Blue still "makes" 2smokes but haven't made progress in 30 years). Build your market and customer base by getting them young.
Like KTM did.

John250

PR Founding Father
Coy is running the Nascar team since the passing of JD. I look for JGR to be out of the motocross business in the very near future.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Ktm were crap. Now they’re top shelf. Harley was crap. Still Is crap. Who stole what ?!

My victory kingpin 8 ball was awesome. Smooth as butter. Luggy. Loud. Just couldn’t stop traffic from suiciding me. Rented a Harley in Florida for a week. Thoroughly discouraged. But I’m sure there are similar riding Harley’s to my victory.