What’s Harley Davidson doing?

Toddco327

PR Addict

hershey

PR Elite
Buell....was a step, now a step away.
The Biggest Marketing Blunder is turning every dealer into clothing outlet, sometimes a restaurant destination location. Money spent to solidify the Brand...not the bikes.
Line a GoldWing up to a Bagger
yeah I can’t see where you’d feel defeated.

Biggest marketing win was clothing. I've talked to more than a few dealer owners. Hands down they make by far the most money on Harley branded product. The Medina store we wired has a large storage room in the back that is made of block and has lockable doors. The only room with inventory that is locked up separately. Only 2 people with a key, it contains nothing but clothing. Their most profitable items. I would give any thing to have people buy clothing with my company name on it for a 500-1000% profit. Having hundreds of thousands of clothing items being worn in my target area advertising for make a sales is a marketing wet dream.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Came across this article this morning.
For those of you who may not of seen the Long Way Around and Long Way Down motorcycling documentary films, they're actually pretty cool. Kind of gives you the bug for cross country riding on dual sport or adventure bikes.
=====================================================

Ewan McGregor And Charley Boorman Head The ‘Long Way Up’ - On Electric Harley-Davidsons?
Bill Roberson Contributor
https://www.forbes.com/sites/billro...-upon-electric-harley-davidsons/#e247d8e7c1fd

960x0.jpg

Obi-Wan Kenobi was right, you know: That is a major twist.
No, not THAT twist. This one: Ewan McGregor (aka the young Obi-Wan in the Star Wars prequels and soon a new back-story Disney series) and his wingman, Brit TV personality Charley Boorman, have reportedly begun production of the third entry in their popular “Long Way” motorcycle road trip TV series, and are set to travel from the southern reaches of South America and ride the long way “up” to the United States. Which is fitting, because according to numerous reports, the pair have ditched their all-conquering BMW GS Adventure dual-sport machines for something a bit more radical: Harley-Davidson’s new all-electric Livewire motorcycles.
And if the photos trickling out of the southern reaches are accurate, they’re not sparing the whip, either. Shots posted as recently as September 14th on the Facebook fan page Long Way Everywhere appear to show Ewan and team on the road with the Livewire bikes, charging them up as they go.
The Facebook posts appear to show the bikes are clearly being ridden off pavement, and it doesn’t look like there’s knobbies mounted on the rims (yet). Another interesting development: It appears electric pickup truck maker Rivian may also be in on the epic adventure, according to a post on popular off-road riding site ADVPulse. How the Rivian pickups are involved is unclear, but they would certainly jibe nicely with the EV theme of the new show.

McGregor and Boorman gave the adventure or “ADV” riding segment a huge boost in 2004 with their original series Long Way ‘Round, in which the pair rode heavily loaded BMW GS adventure bikes around the world the “long way” from England through Russia, including Siberia, capturing their adventures on video using action cameras, and by including Swiss photographer (and rider), Claudio von Planta, who also rode a kitted BMW during the project. It appears he will be tagging along on this ride as well as he appears with McGregor in one Facebook image.
Both men received some off-road riding instruction before departure and came through to finish the ride, though not without various struggles. The video series was a hit both with riders and non-riders (celebrity helps) and it resulted in a well-received 2008 sequel, Long Way Down, which saw the pair ride from their homes in England to Cape Town on the southern tip of Africa. Boorman was then badly injured in a motorcycle crash in 2016 but eventually recovered.

960x0.jpg

CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA - AUGUST 04: Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman mark the finish line of The ... [+] Long Way Down at the Lagoon Beach Hotel on August 4, 2007 in Cape Town, South Africa. (Photo by Michelly Rall/WireImage)
WireImage
Now, a decade after the Long Way Down entry, it looks like the third installment is underway with electric mobility at the core of the concept. ADVPulse also reported that a pair of Mercedes Sprinter vans may be providing support; both previous Long Way series had prodigious support for McGregor and Boorman, so they weren’t exactly roughing it. However, given the pair’s typical journeys through distant lands where it might be a challenge to find gasoline or food, let alone a Level II electric vehicle charger, it’s suspected the sprinter vans might be ferrying generators for the Livewire bikes, which will need to top up about every 100 miles under favorable conditions. No matter how much support the riders have, this looks to be a monumental test for Harley-Davidson’s Livewire bikes, which are its first foray into the electric motorcycle space. Forbes.com has reached out to Harley-Davidson for comment on the news.
Argentinian news outlets report McGregor arrived in the country (apparently to considerable fanfare) in late August. So far, there’s no word on when the new series will be released. They’ll have to make it all the way up first.

Follow me on Twitter or LinkedIn. Check out my website.
Bill Roberson

Last edited:

Ron505

PR Founding Father
I tried this one on for size at Panama City Beach. It sounds delicious. Gave me goose bumps. Not very practical, but damn was it cool! 400 small block.
73187.jpeg
20191023_185515.jpg

NQ1965

PR Elite
Also on Motorcycle News.com
https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/long-way-up-tv-/
Ewan and Charley’s next adventure has begun on electric bikes
Published: 18 September 2019
Updated: 18 September 2019
mcgregor_livewire.jpg

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman have been spotted filming their next TV show on a pair of electric Harley-Davidson Livewires.
The pair were first spotted in Ushuaia, the southernmost town in South America along with their cameraman from the first two shows, Claudio von Planta.
A few days later the gang was spotted in El Calafate, around 500 miles up the road, so it’s clear they’re not hanging around.
A bit of insider info suggests that the plan is to head north, zigzagging a little through South America, with Los Angeles as their final destination, roughly 8000 miles later. What is arguably most interesting is their choice of bike.
The trio are riding on a set of specially prepared Harley-Davidson Livewires – the motor company’s brand new fully electric bike. The machines they’re riding have been specially prepared with increased travel suspension, wire spoked wheels (with a 19" on the front instead of a 17"), dual sport tyres, bigger mudguards, engine guards plus a strengthened subframe with luggage racks.
Based on their choices of bike, we’re assuming the terrain will not be as tough as the routes they took across Europe and Russia, or down through Africa. However planning and running the route on electric bikes will offer its own challenges.
The Livewire has a range around 100 miles, which even with fast charging will limit their progress. It’s also incredibly cold where they are right now, which will no doubt reduce the range, plus the potential off-road pickles.
That also doesn’t even consider the charging time – we doubt there are many DC fast chargers in the middle of the Salar de Uyuni, or any of the Bolivian Altiplano for that matter.
Travelling with the group is a support crew, including a pair of Rivian R1T electric pick-up trucks, all of which will no doubt help them charge while on the road. Even so, we’d still expect a trip of this length to take a couple of months.

In a now removed video published by the Bike Shed Motorcycle Club, TV adventurer Charley Boorman provide the latest details on the forthcoming Long Way Up documentary.
Details remain scant at this point, but the project is set to begin in the coming months. The plan's changed since we last spoke to Charley, however.
"I’m doing Long Way Up for sure, with Ewan," Boorman said in the video. "We’re doing South America to Los Angeles, so South America, Central America, Mexico and then LA. We’re going to start that in a few months’ time, and hopefully do it, yeah.
"We’ve got a few little surprises. We’re not going to do it traditionally, so there’s going to be a little twist.
"We’ll have done the world, then. Then we’ll just have to go into space or something!"
Ewan and Charley ride again
First reported August 21, 2018
They have been around the world and down it, but now Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman are planning a new adventure; riding up from the southern tip of South America to the northernmost point of Alaska and filming it for a new TV series set to be called The Long Way Up.
"We are very much in the early planning stages at the moment," Boorman told MCN. "I’m scared to say too much in case I jinx it, but hopefully it is going to happen.
"We are still trying to figure out how we are going to do it, but I’m so excited about the thought of getting the old team together again."
boorman-mcgregor-copy.jpg

Although still being discussed, the likelihood is that the route will start at Ushuaia, Argentina, which is the southernmost tip of South America, and the pair will then ride north to Barrow, Alaska, which is North America’s northernmost city.
This route will see the pair cover in the region of 15,000 road miles, so it is far from a small undertaking.
"It will definitely take a few months, South America is a beautiful continent to ride through so we won’t want to rush it," said Boorman.
We are all dead keen to make it happen so fingers crossed we will be able to do it in 2019
"It will be work, but it will also be great fun and to do it with the old team of Ewan, Russ Malkin (the producer of the first two adventures), and the rest of the Long Way crew will be fantastic.
"We are all dead keen to make it happen so fingers crossed we will be able to do it in 2019. I honestly can’t wait."
Another interesting aspect still to be decided is which bikes McGregor and Boorman will use this time, having earlier used BMW GS Adventure models.
Boorman is currently an ambassador for Triumph, but with a new BMW GS on the cards for 2019 they’re certainly not going to be left short of offers.

John250

PR Founding Father
A couple friends of mine have some adventure bikes (BMWs) and just took a big trip down the east coast. The exhaust on his BMW has an opening about the diameter of a quarter. Amazing how small it is.

For now Harley is safe because they have a good dealer network and returning customers even though their product line is getting very stale.

Indian on the other hand has not established a solid customer base yet and their product seems too much like Harley's.

IMHO Indian will go the way of Victory and the proof is that you do not see many Indians on the street.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Indian on the other hand has not established a solid customer base yet and their product seems too much like Harley's.
IMHO Indian will go the way of Victory and the proof is that you do not see many Indians on the street. /QUOTE]

It's actually been a surprise to me just how many Indian street bikes I have seen in our area. They're great looking bikes too.
I couldn't ever say that about Victory's. And it seemed like most people's opinion of the Victory was that it was a knock-off version of the Harley.

John250

PR Founding Father
Indian now has a knock off of the Harley Road Glide to follow the street glide knock off that got them back in the market. They definitely did not use original designs, just copied harleys best sellers, and made some improvements. But it's still not a Harley.

Indian is also kicking Harleys ass on the race track right now also.