Winter project

Dano762

PR Addict
'75 RL250 in a barn for the last 25 years. Still lots to do.

thumbnail_IMG_3720.jpg

The Magic of Vapor Honing

IMG_3781.PNG

thumbnail_IMG_3785.png

thumbnail_IMG_3782.png

thumbnail_IMG_3784.png

And Polishing

thumbnail_IMG_3899.jpg

Romanyak256

PR Addict
Found a 03 kx125 for sale on Monday. Guys wanted $300, it needed a cylinder and piston... i asked if he had a title or if i could run the vin and he blocked me... there goes my winter project.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Found a 03 kx125 for sale on Monday. Guys wanted $300, it needed a cylinder and piston... i asked if he had a title or if i could run the vin and he blocked me... there goes my winter project.
You don’t want an ‘03 anyway. It has the old forks. ‘04-‘07 has the best forks any 125 ever had

Bass 67

PR Member
Thank you! It took a lot of tweaking for some stuff as you know the frames on these couldn’t hold up to the power and unpredictable response of the throttle. I was really pleased with the way it turned out. When it fired up, it actually gave me an adrenaline rush!

Dano762

PR Addict
'75 RL250 in a barn for the last 25 years. Still lots to do.

View attachment 69060

The Magic of Vapor Honing

View attachment 69061
View attachment 69062
View attachment 69063
View attachment 69064

And Polishing

View attachment 69065
The finished project. I rode it for about 90 minutes today. Next to try some vintage trials.

RL3.jpg

RL1.jpg

RL4.jpg

RL2.jpg

Most of the credit goes to a friend of mine that has opened a new Vintage Restoration Shop in Louisville.

It is called Louisville Motorcycle Performance. https://www.loumotoperformance.com/ - Ask for Mitch and tell him that DanO recommended him. They did a nice job on the final assembly.

They also bought the Jemco pipe business and have relocated/opened it in Lousville. They are building a pipe for me.

DanO

Vet261

PR Addict
There's a Yamaha back in the house!

So, story of neglect and rescue here. I'm always a sucker for a rescue.....and in this case this bike was literally 3 houses down from me....here we go. Not to mention this is like the first old bike I've bought in 2 years! I've been on a selling spree for a while....

I leave my house one day a week or so before Thanksgiving and head toward town....pass a neighbors house and I swear I see an old dirt bike just leaning against a tree in the yard. As I continue into Medina the image rolls through my head and I end up thinking it must be a late 70's RM. When I come home, I slow down to give it the eagle eye....hmmm...not a zook....but yellow, single shock with that goofy yamaha linkage above the swingarm....aircooled, small head pipe loop. I end up realizing through deduction this must be a YZ100, 1982-83 because of the rear suspension.......

So time goes by and every time I leave the house I'm looking at this poor bike sitting there leaned against a tree day and night. Told a few friends about it and a few gave the option of "just go get it in the night" but I'm of course not doing that.

Eventually with this thing breaking my heart every time I leave the house, I stop over and knock on the door. Introduce myself as a neighbor a few doors down (never met them) and say so what about that dirt bike that has been sitting there for weeks? He says it belongs to a friend, and he dug it out of the barn because he was supposed to come pick it up. I give him my number and ask to pass it along as I may be interested in buying it.....

More weeks go by...nothing. I stop over again and ask for the friends number this time so I can reach out to him. I text him, no reply.

Then out of the blue the guy calls me. I explain I'm a few doors away and ask if I can take it home and clean it off and look it over. He agrees, right as I'm about to walk to get it, my friend Nate and his Dad pull in the driveway and immediately Nate goes "theres an old YZ leaning against a tree over there!" I'm like...yeah come with me I just hung up the phone about putting it in the shop to look at it.

So, we dig the bike out, roll it over to my shop, look it over, and I later work out the money details and now own the bike for a small fee!

Yes I have the airbox, just not in pics. The bike is not that bad! Has good spark, compression, shifts through all the gears, etc. No pitting on the chome.

It is a 1982 YZ100.

20201227_101333.jpg

20201227_101522.jpg
20201227_150800.jpg

Last edited:

jfalat

PR Addict
There's a Yamaha back in the house!

So, story of neglect and rescue here. I'm always a sucker for a rescue.....and in this case this bike was literally 3 houses down from me....here we go. Not to mention this is like the first old bike I've bought in 2 years! I've been on a selling spree for a while....

I leave my house one day a week or so before Thanksgiving and head toward town....pass a neighbors house and I swear I see an old dirt bike just leaning against a tree in the yard. As I continue into Medina the image rolls through my head and I end up thinking it must be a late 70's RM. When I come home, I slow down to give it the eagle eye....hmmm...not a zook....but yellow, single shock with that goofy yamaha linkage above the swingarm....aircooled, small head pipe loop. I end up realizing through deduction this must be a YZ100, 1982-83 because of the rear suspension.......

So time goes by and every time I leave the house I'm looking at this poor bike sitting there leaned against a tree day and night. Told a few friends about it and a few gave the option of "just go get it in the night" but I'm of course not doing that.

Eventually with this thing breaking my heart every time I leave the house, I stop over and knock on the door. Introduce myself as a neighbor a few doors down (never met them) and say so what about that dirt bike that has been sitting there for weeks? He says it belongs to a friend, and he dug it out of the barn because he was supposed to come pick it up. I give him my number and ask to pass it along as I may be interested in buying it.....

More weeks go by...nothing. I stop over again and ask for the friends number this time so I can reach out to him. I text him, no reply.

Then out of the blue the guy calls me. I explain I'm a few doors away and ask if I can take it home and clean it off and look it over. He agrees, right as I'm about to walk to get it, my friend Nate and his Dad pull in the driveway and immediately Nate goes "theres an old YZ leaning against a tree over there!" I'm like...yeah come with me I just hung up the phone about putting it in the shop to look at it.

So, we dig the bike out, roll it over to my shop, look it over, and I later work out the money details and now own the bike for a very small fee!

Yes I have the airbox, just not in pics. The bike is not that bad! Has good spark, compression, shifts through all the gears, etc. No pitting on the chome.

It is a 1982 YZ100.

View attachment 71569

View attachment 71570View attachment 71571
For got the older yamahas had the boost bottle on them...had a yz80...think it was a 81... then I got a 82. was the first year for water cooling..had the radiator in front of the number plate..brings back memories John.