Powder Coat Stripping

NQ1965

PR Elite
I do a fair amount of sandblasting of small and medium size parts in a blast cabinet, but doing larger stuff is a bit more of a challenge. When I rebuilt my MX250 I used a portable blaster in my backyard to strip down the frame for painting, but that was still quite a chore. I only have a small air compressor too, and not all that interested in buying a larger unit.

I've been reading up a little on stripping products online, it would just be nice to not have to order it.
Vet261 tipped me off a few years ago on "Aircraft" paint stripper/remover which worked great, but reading the current reviews now aren't very favorable. Seems they no longer have the right chemical makeup that used to work so well. They're saying it barely works on paint removal now, and won't touch powder coating.

Last edited:

Vet261

PR Addict
are you talking about that CR250 frame that I apparently got hosed on a bad powdercoating job and then you were lucky enough to buy from me? lol

If it were me, I'd simply take it to a REPUTABLE powdercoater and have it redone. I asked ACE Powdercoating once how they remove old PC and they said they bake it off in a burn off oven, then blast clean. ACE has done a bunch of frames for me (they didn't do the one in question) and do a great job on everything I've had done.

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
are you talking about that CR250 frame that I apparently got hosed on a bad powdercoating job and then you were lucky enough to buy from me? lol

I'm laughing so hard right now, I'm choking on my lunch.:D
I've been on here too many years, you guys know me too well.

The 84 CR250 is one of my powder coat projects. When I was assembling the bike, I loved it. But the more I kept looking at it, I realized it was Orange, and not the proper Honda color, and realized it wasn't going to look right. It's gotta be Tahitian Red to look right.

With overtime being scaled back this year, and Little League on indefinite-hold, I have found some extra free time that I haven't had in a long, long time. Looking at some of my part's receipts, it was eight years ago that I bought the bike from you. I was like "where in the hell did eight years go!"

I also bought an old Mustang project car five years ago, (that I didn't need :rolleyes:) to divide my time up even worse.
Posting that thread in the Old Guys Old Bikes section really got my moto blood churning again and now I've got the itch really bad to get these project bikes of mine put together. Especially the 84 CR.

I've got a lot of bikes, but for some reason the Honda's seem to motivate me the most. That's going to be a bad-ass bike when it's done.

jeffro667

PR Addict
I'm laughing so hard right now, I'm choking on my lunch.:D
I've been on here too many years, you guys know me too well.

The 84 CR250 is one of my powder coat projects. When I was assembling the bike, I loved it. But the more I kept looking at it, I realized it was Orange, and not the proper Honda color, and realized it wasn't going to look right. It's gotta be Tahitian Red to look right.

With overtime being scaled back this year, and Little League on indefinite-hold, I have found some extra free time that I haven't had in a long, long time. Looking at some of my part's receipts, it was eight years ago that I bought the bike from you. I was like "where in the hell did eight years go!"

I also bought an old Mustang project car five years ago, (that I didn't need :rolleyes:) to divide my time up even worse.
Posting that thread in the Old Guys Old Bikes section really got my moto blood churning again and now I've got the itch really bad to get these project bikes of mine put together. Especially the 84 CR.

I've got a lot of bikes, but for some reason the Honda's seem to motivate me the most. That's going to be a bad-ass bike when it's done.
Hey Mike, the 84 Honda red was called flash red, it actually is kinda orange. The tahitian red is 76-82.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Hey Mike, the 84 Honda red was called flash red, it actually is kinda orange. The tahitian red is 76-82.

Huh???????
I must of got mislead by some of the articles I read back when I was working on the bike. I'm glad you told me this, you may have just saved me a lot of unnecessary work. To me, the powder coat job looked OK, I just thought it was the wrong color tint.
Now that I think about it, my 1982 CR250 frame is more of the orange shade as well.

Looking at this pic, I would say you're right.
1586196322420.png

an 82 CR
1586196617397.png

1586196656826.png

jeffro667

PR Addict
Huh???????
I must of got mislead by some of the articles I read back when I was working on the bike. I'm glad you told me this, you may have just saved me a lot of unnecessary work. To me, the powder coat job looked OK, I just thought it was the wrong color tint.
Now that I think about it, my 1982 CR250 frame is more of the orange shade as well.

Looking at this pic, I would say you're right.View attachment 69817

an 82 CR
View attachment 69818

View attachment 69819
The 82 red is still the tahitian red. 83-87 are the flash red/orange.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Oooooh, ...…........... it would help if I would read what you posted a little closer. No wonder I had it screwed up to begin with. Thanks Jeff.
I've always got so many irons in the fire at home and work, getting the ole brain matter to slow down and study the details is often a struggle. It's always hurry, hurry, hurry, push, push, just to get projects done, which is frustrating because it sucks all of the enjoyment out, usually followed by dumb mistakes.

I'm working on a bigger swingset for the older grandkids tonight, but I took a few minutes to look the CR over, and I'm going forward from where it's at. The crazy part is I've had some of the CR engine parts buried on my garage bench this whole time from where I left off. This is one bike that I want to look good when it's done so I see more powdercoat work coming down the road. There's also car parts I'd like to get done as well.

Painting and finishing takes a lot of fine detail work for prep to get it right. Usually hours and hours of scraping, cleaning, or blasting. And then scuff or sand, paint, scuff or sand, paint again, and occasionally a third time.
Some of the awesome bike projects that I've seen on here over the years does makes it look easier than it actually is sometimes.

jeffro667

PR Addict
Oooooh, ...…........... it would help if I would read what you posted a little closer. No wonder I had it screwed up to begin with. Thanks Jeff.
I've always got so many irons in the fire at home and work, getting the ole brain matter to slow down and study the details is often a struggle. It's always hurry, hurry, hurry, push, push, just to get projects done, which is frustrating because it sucks all of the enjoyment out, usually followed by dumb mistakes.

I'm working on a bigger swingset for the older grandkids tonight, but I took a few minutes to look the CR over, and I'm going forward from where it's at. The crazy part is I've had some of the CR engine parts buried on my garage bench this whole time from where I left off. This is one bike that I want to look good when it's done so I see more powdercoat work coming down the road. There's also car parts I'd like to get done as well.

Painting and finishing takes a lot of fine detail work for prep to get it right. Usually hours and hours of scraping, cleaning, or blasting. And then scuff or sand, paint, scuff or sand, paint again, and occasionally a third time.
Some of the awesome bike projects that I've seen on here over the years does makes it look easier than it actually is sometimes.
I hope I was some help Mike! I'm working on a couple vintage projects, so hopefully I'll be able to hit some vintage races with you guys this summer!

Dano762

PR Addict
Anxious to follow your progress Mike - post pics. I really like the the 84-86 Hondas.

My work travel is grounded plus I am getting some time off (without pay). I have been getting to things in the garage also.

I have sold or traded quite a few of my future project bikes over the past 12 months. Trying to get the numbers down.

Will post some finished up projects soon. I picked up a cheap 85 RM125 a while back - might be my next candidate.

NQ1965

PR Elite
I hope I was some help Mike! I'm working on a couple vintage projects, so hopefully I'll be able to hit some vintage races with you guys this summer!

I look forward to seeing what you got going. Your bikes are always well built.
The way you race, you need to be on the Vintage/PV gates with us.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Anxious to follow your progress Mike - post pics. I really like the the 84-86 Hondas.

My work travel is grounded plus I am getting some time off (without pay). I have been getting to things in the garage also.

I have sold or traded quite a few of my future project bikes over the past 12 months. Trying to get the numbers down.

Will post some finished up projects soon. I picked up a cheap 85 RM125 a while back - might be my next candidate.

Did you keep the KX250 Dano?

Last edited:

Vet261

PR Addict
That 84 CR you got from me I thought the frame color was pretty good. As Jeffro pointed out those years were orange'ish.

Dano762

PR Addict
Did you keep the KX250 Dano?

I did keep it. At $2,200 it was more that most wanted to spend. Many are looking for those sub $1,000 project bikes - that end up costing more in the end as as so many of us know. The 81 KX is so nice and and with the Ohlins shock I thought it was a fair price.. I still have a couple of '79 KX125s, '79KX250, and the 81 KX250.

I'll see what I package up if there is a mid-ohio this summer. This KX, a couple of 78 RM250s, and ...

thumbnail_IMG_2667.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2669.jpg

Dano762

BILL88L

PR Addict
Mike - I bought my powder coat of some guy in FL that claimed it was Honda orange. I had that thing bead blasted clean. Sent it to the powdercoater with the bag and back it came - kind of orange. It is definitely more orange than Honda orange and it bugged me at the start. It kind or grew on me and I it has held up great over the last 8 years....

Attachments

• CR2504 (2).JPG
    CR2504 (2).JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 149
  • CR2501.JPG
    CR2501.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 114

NQ1965

PR Elite
I did keep it. At $2,200 it was more that most wanted to spend. Many are looking for those sub $1,000 project bikes - that end up costing more in the end as as so many of us know. The 81 KX is so nice and and with the Ohlins shock I thought it was a fair price.. I still have a couple of '79 KX125s, '79KX250, and the 81 KX250.

I'll see what I package up if there is a mid-ohio this summer. This KX, a couple of 78 RM250s, and ...

View attachment 69834
View attachment 69835
Dano762
You can’t sell the 79 KX250, you became a motocross racer on that one. Plus its the “Hotel room” bike . Dirt bike with a story.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Mike - I bought my powder coat of some guy in FL that claimed it was Honda orange. I had that thing bead blasted clean. Sent it to the powdercoater with the bag and back it came - kind of orange. It is definitely more orange than Honda orange and it bugged me at the start. It kind or grew on me and I it has held up great over the last 8 years....
That’s is reassuring to me. I recall being blowed away the first time I seen your bike. Super clean and very detailed rebuild.

I have a good progress photo of the frame that I took before I got stalled, and it actually looked decent. I had just rebuilt the shock and was beginning reassembly. I’ll see if I can find it.