Powder Coat Stripping

NQ1965

PR Elite
So I got a few minutes after mowing tonight to pull the CR out of the garage for a few pic's. As I was doing this I began remembering a whole lot more on where I left off on this bike, along with how the project got stalled.

I recall that I was progressively going through all of the parts in the totes, (Nancy has always teased me on my "tote-box bike", because it's the first one I brought home that I couldn't roll off of the truck :D ).
I was beginning to work through the engine water pump issues. I had just finished rebuilding my first shock with parts from Race Tech. I ordered and received a new/used air box off ebay, along with a few other odd's and ends. I had also began stock piling new parts from an Iron Pony trip, tires, bars and other stuff.
I then began reassembly. This is where these pic's from June 2012 came in:
84 CR-A.jpg

84 CR-B.jpg

So at this point, I realized that I was beginning to get in a hurry on the reassembly, which is not what I wanted. I knew that I really wanted this bike to look good, and that I needed to slow down and focus more on fine detailing, (which is often a struggle for me when my time is limited).
And then I spotted an issue that I wish I hadn't. The powder coating was chipping off in spots. The frame paint wasn't stripped and the PC was losing its adhesion. And then when I held the body plastic up against the frame there was a significant color shade difference. At this point I decided to set the bike aside for a moment until I sorted out in my head what I wanted to do. If I kept going forward with it, my gut was nagging that I'm going to half-ass this job and it's going to show. The bike will be a race bike, and not a show queen, so I can accept some "lack of polish", but needs to look well built. I also knew that I was going to have a good bit of cash wrapped up in getting this bike going so, I really knew what I had to do at this point.

Here are the pic's I snapped tonight: (bear in mind, the bike has been in barn storage for the last 5 of 8 years.)

Look close and you can see the PC losing grip on the steering tube. You can scrape it right off with your fingernail.
IMG_9612.JPG

A lot of this chipping was just from it sitting in the barn and other things rubbing against it.
IMG_9614.JPG

And then you have dark shadow spots where the original paint underneath was worn through revealing bare metal, but then powder coated over top.
IMG_9622.JPG

So at this point, I was getting bogged down with the water pump issues, and now faced with re-stripping the entire frame down and starting over.
Our daughter had just relocated with our 13 month old grandson to Montana, and I was having to work a good bit of OT at work to help cover the cost of making many trips to Montana to see them. And then in the mix of all of this there were the constant demands of keeping three other bikes maintained for racing. So the 84 CR250R got postponed.

Sooooo............ where was I ?
oh yeah...…… looking for the best way to strip off powder coat. :)

Last edited:

Vet261

PR Addict
Yes that's what I remember -- once you started working on it you found the PC job was horseshit. I never thought the color was bad, but the PC place I used obviously did not prep it properly and is now obviously out of business.

Dano762

PR Addict
Just think how much time and money that 81 KX250 would save you. Plus it would look great alongside your KDX;).

k01

PR Elite
After experiencing rust issues on the inner areas of my '83 YZ frame, I'd be leary of what was covered with powder coat.

NQ1965

PR Elite
I asked ACE Powdercoating once how they remove old PC and they said they bake it off in a burn off oven, then blast clean. ACE has done a bunch of frames for me (they didn't do the one in question) and do a great job on everything I've had done.

Interesting approach: I had to read up on this.

[Powder Coating Burn-Off Ovens. Heat Cleaning Ovens. Burn off Ovens are designed to remove combustible material from hooks, racks, fixtures, and parts. Removal of the material is accomplished by heating the substrate to a preset temperature in an oxygen starved atmosphere.The combustible material is reduced to a fine, light ash and fumes.]

1586483506575.png

1586483638813.png

So I wonder how they control the heat from distorting the frames or weakening the steel temper?

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
Just think how much time and money that 81 KX250 would save you. Plus it would look great alongside your KDX;).

Damn...… You are so right about this!
I mean it only makes logical sense since, beings that I love the late model non-water cooled fin head bikes.
And after all....... I am a very competitive TEAM GREEN RACER! It's a natural fit.

And at only $1200., DanO's KX250 is one hell of a bargain! :D

I can see it all now.....yea!!!!!
1586484731297.png

1586484775213.png

1586484638286.png

1586485082822.png

1586485139218.png

1586485382673.png

NQ1965

PR Elite
After experiencing rust issues on the inner areas of my '83 YZ frame, I'd be leary of what was covered with powder coat.

Something I need to watch closer for since we jump these bikes so much. Good point.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Often I feel like time searching the internet is a waste, but sometimes it helps.
Just found a local company that does sandblasting, powder coating and power washing.
We'll give it a try and see how they do.

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
I keep looking at all of these bikes with the powder coated frames and I keep thinking back on what Evo241 said back when he was doing his 82 YZ250. His comment was that the problem with powder coating the frame, is that then it makes everything else look bad and unfinished. So you keep having to polish up everything else to measure up to the great looks of the frame. I'm not sure I can do that. And moreover I'm sure I can't keep it looking that good after I begin racing it. Having it coated is definitely the easier route since I don't have to do it. But I'm back to thinking on paint.

And then there's also the benefit of being able to do paint touch ups without a complete strip down every time.
I struggle with just trying to keep my bikes washed, and they almost never get any detailing.

Vet261

PR Addict
Mike I think you are over-thinking the whole situation. I will never paint a frame myself again -- in the past I've done several frames myself and the amount of time and work I put into the damn thing ends up being way more than just dropping at a powder-coater. The key is finding a GOOD powdercoater, which I believe we have a few of now in NE Ohio.

If you really want to inspect the frame, take it to a blasting place first, and have it blasted. But what I generally do now that I've learned the hard way in the past, is I just clean the frame up, wire brush all the welds off to inspect, then take it in and get it done. The $100-150 it costs to PC a frame is well worth it.

And don't worry about the frame looking "nicer" than the rest of the bike. Most of the frame is covered anyway!

NQ1965

PR Elite
I'm a bit of a hard head, and if there's a difficult way to do something, I'll find it. But this this does sound sensible to me.

So probably best to order and supply the correct powder coat material the shop that does the work?

Vet261

PR Addict
I've always searched online to find what most people use for the RAL code for the correct color, find what I surmise to be the best match, and then just tell the powdercoater that is what I want. You have to be careful though because some people come up with shades that they say are perfect match but I swear are a shade or two off. Especially with the RM yellow...

Doing a quick search looks like RAL 2002 for the orange'ish CRs.

Found a good restore thread of an '87 on Vital.

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
Pits right. I've gotten a lot Pc'd. Sandblast is the way. If a guy cant blast it off, his setup is weaksauce. It needs blasted to get the powder to adhere to it anyway.

NQ1965

PR Elite
That's a good pic. Saved it to my file, thanks for digging it up.
Been a bunch of years since they made those tires. The bike was in relatively good shape and clearly didn't get rode a whole lot.

Found a good restore thread of an '87 on Vital.

Coming across and reading posts like this are lifesavers. I usually don't have many struggles with the mechanicals on bike rebuilds, but learning from others is much, much easier.
And then they always impress me on ways to clean up and detail finish parts.

Last edited: