Moto and money.

That's NOTHING! Ever had a daughter in Competitive Competition cheer?
YES. My 7 year old daughter currently is and has been for two years. What I am paying now at 7, I cant even think how much it will be when she is in high school.

Face it, all sports are expensive if done full on. Could baseball be cheaper? Of course. But just like no one wants to be seen on a year old bike, they don't want to be seen swinging last years bat. Cause as we all know, the paint job on the outside is what hits dingers.

John is correct, just don't finance moto, or any sport. Live within your means, be happy with what you have and maximize your potential until you KNOW your equipment is holding you back. At that point, companies will know your good and give you the stuff you need.

Now, can anyone buy some of these candy bars? My kid needs a new set of personalize pom poms...

I looked into getting my daughter into gymnastics....

at 18 months old. Wholly ssshhhiiittt.....adding it up and still nothing to resell at the end of the year!!

Competition Cheer is ridiculous. We used to pay $350 a month just for Gym fees to practice, not including privates. Then all the uniforms, out of state travel, the entry fees. The fees for parents to get in (usually about $50). We spent tons of money on cheer.

Been there and done that too! Daughter in gymnastics finished 2nd in a National event in Toledo !!! Bad thing about that was I was in St Louis with son playing baseball!!!

Cash for bikes= no payment= more liquid cash for entry fees.
plus if you take a month or two off it doesn’t hurt so much. Nothing worse than making payments on something you can’t use.

Cash for bikes= no payment= more liquid cash for entry fees.
plus if you take a month or two off it doesn’t hurt so much. Nothing worse than making payments on something you can’t use.

I'm in this camp too but people always say I'm being an arsehole. Just save up ONCE and then buying your next bike is pretty easy.

RMZ-250 and 450 for $5,500 ish is way better than having a bike payment in my opinion.

I'm in this camp too but people always say I'm being an arsehole. Just save up ONCE and then buying your next bike is pretty easy.

RMZ-250 and 450 for $5,500 ish is way better than having a bike payment in my opinion.
Call me crazy but if there's a 19-20 RMZ250 around for $5-$5500 OTD let me know.

Call me crazy but if there's a 19-20 RMZ250 around for $5-$5500 OTD let me know.
Doesn’t seem hard I got a 19 crf250r for 5999 OTD. Was required to finance through Honda, was told had to make 4 payments before I could I pay it off. I did not. Payed it off in one, nothing happened title came.

New 2019 RMZ250 for $5693

I looked into getting my daughter into gymnastics....

at 18 months old. Wholly ssshhhiiittt.....adding it up and still nothing to resell at the end of the year!!
My daughter does competitive gymnastics. 700/month and that does not include meet fees. Year round. Practice 4 hrs /day 4 days per week.

That would be ME! I loved my nephews '18 RMZ-450. I'm NOT getting rid of my FC350 as it does everything great for me. Maybe if someone had a '19-20 RMz250 for me to try out I'd change my crazy way of thinking.....ok back on topic. One of my daughters is also in competitive cheer. It's ridiculou$ in every way. My oldest is in travel volleyball. Enough said.

That would be ME! I loved my nephews '18 RMZ-450. I'm NOT getting rid of my FC350 as it does everything great for me. Maybe if someone had a '19-20 RMz250 for me to try out I'd change my crazy way of thinking.....ok back on topic. One of my daughters is also in competitive cheer. It's ridiculou$ in every way. My oldest is in travel volleyball. Enough said.
Happiest day ever, when my daughter was a junior in high school and said she just wanted to do sideline cheer only and the competition squad at the high school. Saved us a ton of money. She is 20 in college now.

My sons twin sister plays Volleyball for the high school and plays on a club team. it is not too bad, fees plus travel to a few out of area tournaments.

Then my son plays basketball and motocross. The motocross is for sure the most expensive, because of the start up cost. But the Competition cheer, if you took the bike out of the mix is probably more expensive because of the monthly fees gym fees, privates and competition fees were ridiculous.

My daughter does competitive gymnastics. 700/month and that does not include meet fees. Year round. Practice 4 hrs /day 4 days per week.

that sound about right. The numbers I was looking at made me scratch my head for an 19 month old kid.

think I’ll let her rip up my property on the pw50 for a while when she’s able. That’ll be like $700 a year. Not a month !!!until
Then lawn mower rides with dad will have to do.

I’d always considered it a catch 22. To be good you needed sponsors and money. To have sponsors and money you needed to be good. Typically I’ve observed most racers who have the liberty of traveling the country reach some level of pro status. The kid with enough talent and drive however doesn’t need money, just a solid support crew.

edit - rereading the original post. It all comes down to sacrifice. The wealthy might give up an annual vacation or new car to fund it. The less fortunate give up the 401k. Comes down to what you’re willing to sacrifice to live the dream.

i worked a part time job (early 2000’s) in high school and had a full time job at 18 making 11 bucks an hour and I rode more back then, than I do now at 35 making well over 11hr.
I don’t want to say I had more fun then but I can remember saving all my money to buy dirt bike stuff. Taking my lunch money (2 bucks) and saving it for 2 weeks to go riding at apple cabin on a Thursday.
Moto can be done cheap and expensive. The experience is what makes it fun. I still run my moto on a shoestring budget. My bike is an 04. I could care less. I just love spinning a few laps and having a good time. My gear is a year or two old. My helmet isn’t a 6D. My boots are from a company who doesn’t make MX boots anymore. My graphics are from 2009. But you’ll be had pressed to find someone who has more fun and loves the sport
Don’t get caught up in having the newest bike or best of everything. Have a good set up that works for you and add things where you know you want to put that money.
A good riding crew of friends will add any value you might be missing.

Back