Why am I cleaning air filter and re-using them?

Vet261

PR Addict
These "one use" filters are 9-10 bucks at the major online retailers.

Why am I cleaning filters and re-oiling them? I don't do that in my truck, tractor, etc. I also don't clean and re-use oil filters...

I think I'm going to buy a half dozen of these....

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Notoil.......notoil.....notoil.....

Prep 10 prox filters. Clean them in a bucket at same time.

or throw away a 10 dollar pre oiled. Whichever.

Yamalube now has notoil packs with their name on it. They’re onto something. No gas or kerosene. No sticky residue that won’t come off your hands....

Vet261

PR Addict
Been using No-toil for a decade and prepping filters at once..... But again, why?

And, as the never-ending dead-horse discussion goes.....if you clean your filter after every ride you are actually introducing more risk into the situation compared to just cleaning it when it is needed.

John250

PR Founding Father
We clean ours when needed, not every ride. But doing it $10 at a time would get expensive. I buy the Tusk filters and have been totally happy with them.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
With a KTM you need to be cleaning them every ride for sure. It’s embarrassing how dirty those filters get after a days ride sometimes, makes me look like I haven’t changed my filter in a month lol.
My Honda I could get away with every 3 rides no problem since the filter was more tucked away.

No Toil is simple enough for me. I prep like 15 filters and I’m good for a bit. 30 minutes time, no big deal. Usually get 20+ uses out of a Pro-X filter.
If it wasn’t for No-toil, Id probably be more on board with the one use filters

hershey

PR Elite
Not toil here as well. Buying thr no toil filters is cheap too. I throw them in the washing machine to clean them as directed, almost as easy as the throw away method but cheaper.

Romanyak256

PR Addict
We clean ours when needed, not every ride. But doing it $10 at a time would get expensive. I buy the Tusk filters and have been totally happy with them.
I use the tisk filters as well as the maxima filters. I usually clean them after every ride, if it isn’t dusty I’ll check it and if it isn’t bad, I’ll get another ride from it.

jj584

PR Addict
These "one use" filters are 9-10 bucks at the major online retailers.

Why am I cleaning filters and re-oiling them? I don't do that in my truck, tractor, etc. I also don't clean and re-use oil filters...

I think I'm going to buy a half dozen of these....

I have these and some reusable types. The tusk filters work great but I'm still perfecting my wash process. After the 5th wash or so I have been noticing the washable ones foam starts to break down or they don't come clean all the way. Local guy sells me the maxima ones for $8 a piece, apples tp apples I believe its right around $3 more expensive to run these. I was using the twin air filter cleaner and the aerosol spray on Pj1 oil for my math, also the oxy clean for the after wash. For $3 I'll save the time and hassle and get the maxima, its a good thing to throw in the cart if you need that extra couple bucks to get free shipping.

TwentyThreeMX

PR Founding Father
and fyi for the no toil guys, the pre oiled filters are the same as the "premium" filters they sell. I had asked whats the difference, if the premium is any better and they said no, just a marketing thing.

I keep 5-6 filters in rotation and clean them all at once. No toil makes this easy to manage as they really aren't too much trouble to clean.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
F8E27336-C230-4780-83D1-51BDD8D644F6.jpeg

One days ride on a ktm

Ron505

PR Founding Father
I used to use the Maxima Ready filters years ago. I had a friend with a sponsorship, so he always handed them out.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I am still shocked that some of you don't use a clean filter everyday... That is crazy.
The argument of "you could introduce dirt into the boot if you touch it" is the same as saying "I'm not going to put in a new top end because I mite drop a C clip in the engine"

And if you cleaning the filter and airbox often, then there is even less risk of dropping any dirt in. Clean it often and when you notice an deterioration, throw it away and get a new one.
That No-Toil stuff makes and easy job a no brainer.

hershey

PR Elite
I am still shocked that some of you don't use a clean filter everyday... That is crazy.
The argument of "you could introduce dirt into the boot if you touch it" is the same as saying "I'm not going to put in a new top end because I mite drop a C clip in the engine"

And if you cleaning the filter and airbox often, then there is even less risk of dropping any dirt in. Clean it often and when you notice an deterioration, throw it away and get a new one.
That No-Toil stuff makes and easy job a no brainer.

Lmfao....have to disagree with you here CK. The more times you take a filter on and off, the more times dirt has a chance to fall in the airbox. Let's face it, especially locally (which we are talking about here), we put a total of an hour on the bike for race day. GNCC pros run 3+ hours on a filter in far dustier conditions than our mx tracks (well most of them any way). So yes, I replace filters when they are dirty enough. Did a top end on my 09 yz450f at 300 hours. Still had cross hatching in the cylinder.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Lmfao....have to disagree with you here CK. The more times you take a filter on and off, the more times dirt has a chance to fall in the airbox. Let's face it, especially locally (which we are talking about here), we put a total of an hour on the bike for race day. GNCC pros run 3+ hours on a filter in far dustier conditions than our mx tracks (well most of them any way). So yes, I replace filters when they are dirty enough. Did a top end on my 09 yz450f at 300 hours. Still had cross hatching in the cylinder.
Well then NEVER take it out for cleaning. Then you never have to worry about getting dirt inside... right?
We are all living with an air filter on our face right now. Go run around in the dust for 15 minutes then take a seat. Take off your mask... I mean "Filter" and see if you sucked any dirt? Want to put that same one back on or get a new one?
Wait, I forgot... Never mind. Cause when you took it off all the dirt fell into your mouth anyway. Right?

I'm still learning.

Clean filter every ride, and don't wear a blindfold when changing the filter and you may see if you actual do drop anything inside. If you do... you may want to clean that out before putting in a new one.

For real, if your not able to change a filter without getting dirt in the boot, how do you manage to find your mouth with a fork each and every time you eat?

hershey

PR Elite
Well then NEVER take it out for cleaning. Then you never have to worry about getting dirt inside... right?
We are all living with an air filter on our face right now. Go run around in the dust for 15 minutes then take a seat. Take off your mask... I mean "Filter" and see if you sucked any dirt? Want to put that same one back on or get a new one?
Wait, I forgot... Never mind. Cause when you took it off all the dirt fell into your mouth anyway. Right?

I'm still learning.

Clean filter every ride, and don't wear a blindfold when changing the filter and you may see if you actual do drop anything inside. If you do... you may want to clean that out before putting in a new one.

For real, if your not able to change a filter without getting dirt in the boot, how do you manage to find your mouth with a fork each and every time you eat?

Lol....

Seriously though, a slightly used but clean filter actually flows more air than a clean new one. Obviously you don't understand the concept of change when dirty. But hey, to each their own! You still came off the couch and kicked my ass on a clean filtered 125!