Why am I cleaning air filter and re-using them?

Vet261

PR Addict
the same as saying "I'm not going to put in a new top end because I mite drop a C clip in the engine"

100% I would tell you that if you said you put a new topend in every time you rode your bike!

Not sure why it's so hard for people to understand that the proper air filter maintenance is to clean it when it needs it. If that is every ride, great, if that is every 4 rides, great too. You people that take out perfectly clean air filters because you did 4 laps at a concrete fair track just to say you did, should probably start changing the air in your tires after every ride too! Oh and BTW, make sure you are wearing a mask when you change that air!

MX955

PitRacer Pro
100% I would tell you that if you said you put a new topend in every time you rode your bike!

Not sure why it's so hard for people to understand that the proper air filter maintenance is to clean it when it needs it. If that is every ride, great, if that is every 4 rides, great too. You people that take out perfectly clean air filters because you did 4 laps at a concrete fair track just to say you did, should probably start changing the air in your tires after every ride too! Oh and BTW, make sure you are wearing a mask when you change that air!
1592918299188.png

four26stroker

PR Member
I’m shocked some of you have 10 filters to be honest. Washing machine?? That has to be good for the septic system not to mention the next load of laundry. Unless your fond of everyday smells like race day. I’m a 3filter guy, but have started using pre oiled style. I’ve always washed and serviced them by hand for years. I wear gloves and don’t look at it as an empty gallon of milk I just toss(although it s still a viable container).I think I’m saving on something but dimes to doughnuts it’s a close argument. Environmental foot print to time spent, costs to Jobs created or lost. I’m a wash and reuse but could agree I’m spinning my wheels.

DelBalso28

PR Addict
I’m shocked some of you have 10 filters to be honest.
Ya gotta think a filter every ride adds up quick. I’ll go through 4 a week normally. Maintenance on the bike when you’re riding almost every day is tough enough to keep up with, so not having to worry about washing filters for a month or so is nice. Hell I just ordered 5 more to cycle out a couple old ones.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
my yamaha filter needs it after i wheel the bike through some dust in my garage.

Yeah blu cru airbox is brutal.

Only bike I have ever greased the filter rim on - and I buy twin air filters because they have a rubber gromet that seals around the center of the backfire screen better.

Vet261

PR Addict
Yes Oxyclean works to clean no-toil filters. Been doing it for years.

15-18 years ago when I rode twice during the week and raced almost every weekend I had about 10 filters for my bike and would do them in batches. Washed them in the sink real quick first, then tossed them all in the washing machine.

Hard to believe, but I started using No-Toil back before we were all riding 4 strokes.....

ktrop251

PR Member
I try to clean my air filters every other ride. If its dirty after one ride it gets changed and cleaned. I think I actually have one filter that's 4 years old but its starting to get a little thin. Still nothing getting through to the back side of the filter but its getting thrown out. I've used the GYTR filters which are uni and they seemed to hold up pretty well but I still feel like twin air wins my vote on the longest lasting filter. I had a few no toils and they seemed to split at the seams after 4 or 5 cleanings.

jj584

PR Addict
Filter gets inspected after every ride, not removed and inspected. If I need to wash the bike I'll leave it in, saran wrap sticks to that filter oil and I'll plug up the airbox with some of mommas old bath towels. Everybody has a different process for maintenance I find it interesting to hear what others do. I always blow dry the bike with a leaf blower when done while it idles to get up to temp. Does any body else insist on running the bike after a wash? Does anybody else remove the back half every 10-15hours to clean and grease? Back half being the shock, swing arm, linkage, wheel airbox etc.