MX'ers in MTB'ing

KTM221

PR Addict
The last time I rode a motocross bike was 2014. I miss it dearly but have enjoyed mountain biking as a replacement very much. I am frequently amazed at how many former MX'ers are now mountain biking. There are now 10 places to ride within 60 minutes of medina. Within 3 hours there are countless places. The sport is exploding. If anyone is considering making the move, come join the fun... you'll undoubtedly meet some old friends.

I’m starting to move in this direction as well. Saturday I went to High Point GNCC just to check out the e-bike race. They have 5 classes. Pro, Amateur, Women’s, Youth, and Masters 50+. Each class had about 10 riders which isn’t bad since this is a relatively new sport.

Hey Joe, I did the same thing at about the same time. I actually raced my first MTB race last weekend and had a blast! I have ridden the trails in Medina a few times, but end up at East Rim or Hampton more often. Tuscazoar is great if you want to get some more climbing in. Of course nothing tops Mohican for length of climbs.

For what it's worth. Trails within 1 hr of medina:
- Austin Badger
- Reagan/Huffman
- Hampton Hills
- East Rim
- West Creek
- Westbranch
- Vultures Knob
- Bedford
- Mohican
- Royalview
- OECR

Other notables I've ridden :
- Jake's Rocks - 3 hrs away killer flow trails, lots of elevation. My favorite trails!
- Ellicottville - 40 miles of old school killer miles
- Alameda, North Park and Moraine - 2 hrs away, mixed bag of 3 western PA trails
- DuPont and Pisgah - Western NC trails not for the faint of heart. Best on the East Coast. Climb forever and then hold on for the decent of your life.
- DTE - flow trails in MI

No shortage of options.

E-bikes and pedal assist are not allowed on the MTB trails around Cleveland area.

Not really sure how that is enforced or who the E-bike police are, but that is what I've been told when I've asked around at the trails the last few weeks. I would guess the enforcement consists of dirty looks from the traditional spandex MTB clique.

Some Info here:

Last edited:
You're correct about enforcement of E-Bikes... it's mostly just shaming by fellow riders. However, the wave is coming and in my opinion can't be stopped. The E-Bikes are getting lighter and more powerful each year (and oh by the way... more expensive). I test rode one (not on a trail) and was super impressed by it's feel as a rideable bike. The power assist was off the charts (cheating). I'd be a little nervous buying one right now due to the lack of approved trails (which will change) and the quickly evolving technology. There's a day not too far where I'll be older and slower and still want to climb to have fun on the downhills. An E-Bike is the solution.

Yamaha_Bicycles-Moro_All_Mountain_Pro-Statics-DSC07536-copy.jpg

Been MTB-ing with both my boys all year. Been to Jake's a bunch of times. Ride a lot in NY state as well. We need to check out the riding in Ohio.

I got into MTB heavy this year. I was riding 2 or 3 days a week. Typically east rim, huffman, or hampton. Theyre all about 20 minutes from where I live in wadsworth. There are tons of guys I've talked to at the tracks that are getting into it. Its an awesome substitute to moto and its awesome for cardio.

Side note, first ride of the year I attempted mohican and found a bail out point. It was one of the worst choices I've ever made. Those climbs are gnarly

I found my bail point last year at Lake Hope (Hocking Hills). My heart rate reached barely over 200. That's not good for us over 50 crowd. I figured that was my stress test for the year. All good.

I've heard of an awesome place just north of Newark called Horns Hill. It could be considered downhill rather than MTB.

Last edited:
Hardcore guys talk crap about E Bikes but they are the real deal, Bad thing is really nice ones cost as much or more than a New Dirt Bike. I got A Turbo Levo Comp last year and it is bad ass. I have nerve damage from sugar problems and it allows me to ride more and not have to worry about making a tough climb it is pedal assist you still have to pedal and you can tune the motor assist to whatever level you want and has 3 levels of assist.
Big Bear Lake and Snowshoe are my favorite places to ride in WV. Horns is fun but the soil is like gravel in places and it is sketchy, they have done alot there in the last couple of years, it is all DH style trails. We have some pretty good climbs here at Great Seal Park, Barbwire will get your heartrate up.

I found my bail point last year at Lake Hope (Hocking Hills). My heart rate reached barely over 200. That's not good for us over 50 crowd. I figured that was my stress test for the year. All good.

I've heard of an awesome place just north of Newark called Horns Hill. It could be considered downhill rather than MTB.

That place looks so sick

Back