MX'ers in MTB'ing

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Not only that but if e bikes can help bridge the gap. Makes it possible for you to ride with someone stronger. Like husband wife combo or boyfriend/girlfriend. She has the e bike can stay with you on climbs... a lot of road bike people are doing this now.

MX099

PR Addict
It’s interesting to hear the so called hard core mountain bikers talk bad about the e-bike. Most of them are like the MX pro practicers. Jill Kintner 5X Enduro World Champion speaks highly of them and posts riding them on Instagram all of the time. I watched a few videos of TP199 and his wife ripping Utah on e-bikes.
Currently my wife has a Full Suspension Scott Strike with a Bosch drive with 625Wh. Best purchase I ever made. It weighs around 50#. She came off of a Scott Full Suspension Carbon frame. She said with the help of the motor the weight isn’t an issue. It makes our rides more enjoyable because now she can keep up. It also doesn’t beat up her knees.
With that being said I have a Scott Genus 910 Carbon I ride everyday. I’m into single track. I will be purchasing a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp to run the GNCC and maybe the AWRCS series next year. For weight, motor, components this is the best bang for your buck. The SL models are much lighter and feel just like riding a normal mtb but the hey have a short battery life and only half of the boost.
Contact Gear Bicycle Sales in Grove City, PA they will rent you one to try before you commit to something you may not enjoy.

freeh

PR Founding Father
For what it's worth. Trails within 1 hr of medina:
- Austin Badger
- Reagan/Huffman
- Hampton Hills
- East Rim
- West Creek
- Westbranch
- Vultures Knob
- Bedford
- Mohican
- Royalview
- OECR

Other notables I've ridden :
- Jake's Rocks - 3 hrs away killer flow trails, lots of elevation. My favorite trails!
- Ellicottville - 40 miles of old school killer miles
- Alameda, North Park and Moraine - 2 hrs away, mixed bag of 3 western PA trails
- DuPont and Pisgah - Western NC trails not for the faint of heart. Best on the East Coast. Climb forever and then hold on for the decent of your life.
- DTE - flow trails in MI

No shortage of options.
Hey Joe,
Any suggestions for fall / winter riding destinations down south? This recent weather turn indicates this riding season is likely over in Ohio. Are trails down south typically open all year round?

KTM221

PR Addict
Hey Joe,
Any suggestions for fall / winter riding destinations down south? This recent weather turn indicates this riding season is likely over in Ohio. Are trails down south typically open all year round?
The closest area that is open most of the winter is DuPont State Forest and Pisgah (Brevard), both in NC. It's an 8 hour drive to both. DuPont is more classic single track with some machine-built flowy stuff, but Pisgah is much harder riding. Pisgah (Brevard) is the only place I've ridden where I wanted more suspension that 140mm. Some climbs are in the 1 hour plus range, with downhills lasting 15 - 20 minutes and being really rock filled. Be ready to be challenged physically. You should Google both to get a sense of the trail systems. Both areas are not advisable to do by yourself the first time. Go with a group. I've also ridden in Florida at Alafia. It's fine, but certainly not worth the drive/flight to get there. I hear great things about multiple places in Georgia, but have not ridden there.

Mark414

PR Member
Stay with better known brands, Specialized, Pivot, Giant, Kona , other real brands.

Last edited:

MX099

PR Addict
137ED17C-DFA1-433F-AFA5-C05F0C55A249.jpeg
CBDB408E-3508-4236-8C71-DE9CF4FB75F2.jpeg

Mark414

PR Member
Levo Comp, I upgraded wheels to lighter stronger DT Swiss RaceFace Atlas bars and stem and Kona wah Wah pedals rode with clips for years but prefer flat pedals.

Attachments

• 20201029_170801.jpg
    20201029_170801.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 143

Mark414

PR Member
It’s interesting to hear the so called hard core mountain bikers talk bad about the e-bike. Most of them are like the MX pro practicers. Jill Kintner 5X Enduro World Champion speaks highly of them and posts riding them on Instagram all of the time. I watched a few videos of TP199 and his wife ripping Utah on e-bikes.
Currently my wife has a Full Suspension Scott Strike with a Bosch drive with 625Wh. Best purchase I ever made. It weighs around 50#. She came off of a Scott Full Suspension Carbon frame. She said with the help of the motor the weight isn’t an issue. It makes our rides more enjoyable because now she can keep up. It also doesn’t beat up her knees.
With that being said I have a Scott Genus 910 Carbon I ride everyday. I’m into single track. I will be purchasing a Specialized Turbo Levo Comp to run the GNCC and maybe the AWRCS series next year. For weight, motor, components this is the best bang for your buck. The SL models are much lighter and feel just like riding a normal mtb but the hey have a short battery life and only half of the boost.
Contact Gear Bicycle Sales in Grove City, PA they will rent you one to try before you commit to something you may not enjoy.
It is not the guys like us and the downhill and enduro rider types talking down about them. it is the hardcore xc racer types that think their bikes should weigh sub 20 pounds.and the tree hugger crowd that think the power and weight is destroying the soil. Many rants about them on pinkbike over the last few years.
All I know is I like mine and anyone that has rode one comes back with a smile on their face. Good luck with the new Levo you will like it. Specialized is a step ahead of most of the other manufactures.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Hopefully E-Bikes really take off and become a bit more affordable.
Considering it’s a 2 wheeled hobby it’s always gonna be expensive, except for maybe if the general population just helped it out and gets on board, then maybe the prices would drop like flat screen TVs if everyone owned them.

Mark414

PR Member
Price will be like dirt bikes, and just go up. Too much development money. Biggest thing will be new battery development. I bought a new 700 watt battery for my levo at cost and it was almost 800 bucks. Price will come down on generic bikes but not on the ones that are real bikes.

alphado

PR Founding Father
I got to demo a Rocky Mountain Hardtail E-Bike over the weekend. Man that was incredible! You start pedaling and it just goes. Made the hills flat. It was an entry level bike, so the brakes sucked and it was heavy, but you really don't notice the weight when riding it. The bike shop was really trying to get me to buy it too.

Dano762

PR Addict
A buddy in Colorado just bought one of these for his son. They ride a lot; his son has some health issues and he says makes all the difference.

https://www.commencalusa.com/

Annotation 2020-11-09 110710.jpg

I was riding Devou Park, Covington KY, yesterday, perfect weather and some help on the hills would be nice.

Annotation 2020-11-09 111656.jpg