MX'ers in MTB'ing

Mark414

PR Member
The outside oem components seems prevalent in bicycles.
Do any of them make their own?
No company makes all parts, one of the reasons they cost as much as a new dirt bike.
Most have Shimano or Sram drive trains many options there, brakes range from 75 to 600 bucks thru the price range. Wheels are all over the map price wise. Most suspension is Fox, Rockshox, Dvo,Rst or Ohlins[overpriced junk, bad paper weight] and many price levels on all of that as well

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I never realized that.
Never really thought about it before.
It would be a cool idea if we could order a moto bike custom assembled

ktrop251

PR Member
I never realized that.
I searched everything before I bought my salsa hard tail. Forks, drive train, brakes, all of it. Found a bike that had the most up to date and solid products. Still dropped close to 2k on mine but I love it. 2 things I looked for were a good air fork, 1x, and a dropper seat post. Pretty much all of them were $1500 - $2000 and that was for a hard tail. Next investment will be a full suspension for sure.

MX099

PR Addict
I never realized that.
I try to stay with Shimano XT or XTR components and Fox suspension. My next upgrade will be wireless shifters.
This is the reason www.bikesdirect.com appeals to many people. You purchase your bike based on components and they put them on a no name frame. The frames are probably manufactured by the same company that builds the big name frames just a different name.

Vet261

PR Addict
Not that much different than moto. Moto MFGs use plenty of other company components like rims, suspension, brakes, carb/throttle body, etc. Just not to the extent of the bicycle world, plus the bicycle world has way more niche brands that do even more customization.

KTM221

PR Addict
I find it so strange that Ohlins is really looked down upon in MTB'ing. I still have very positive vibs regarding that brand from MX, but I haven't met a single mountain biker who likes their suspension. I haven't tried their stuff because it's way too expensive to try given the wide spread negative feedback. Rockshock is good stuff, but in my opinion Fox is the clear leader.

Regarding SRAM and Shimano. It's taken me years to have a preference, but I've come to the place where I like SRAM drivetrains better and Shimano brakes better. I had a consistent soft brake issue with SRAM that bleeding would fix for about 10 rides and then it would return. I've had nothing but Shimano XTR brakes for 6 years now and I've been trouble free, and I like the feel of the levers better. I find SRAM shifting to be quicker and more exact than Shimano... but only when the SRAM stuff is kept in perfect condition. When it gets a bit dirty, worn out or bent, it gets finicky pretty quickly. I think Shimano, even their XTR group, is just a bit less efficient/fast as a drive train, but is much more consistent when it's not perfect. I keep my SRAM stuff cleaned and adjusted and just don't have problems. A buddy of mine has the new SRAM electronic stuff. I have to say it is freaking sweet! However you'll pay dearly for that system.

Beyond suspension, drivetrain and brakes, you can go really crazy with wheel options. This is where the main brands (SRAM, Shimano and Fox) do not control the market. There are 10+ wheel (rim and hub) manufacturers that make awesome stuff. First choice is aluminum vs. carbon. Check out a couple of higher end options to see where the top end is (www.enve.com and www.industrynine.com). In my opinion, wheels can be the most important option on a bike. I'm a huge fan of Enve. I've had a set for 6 years with zero issues. Super light and super strong.

Lastly, don't ignore the handle bar bend. Coming off of a MX bike, I really like the Renthal Carbon Fat Bars. They feel very MX-like to me.

Enjoy....

Ron505

PR Founding Father
I try to stay with Shimano XT or XTR components and Fox suspension. My next upgrade will be wireless shifters.
This is the reason www.bikesdirect.com appeals to many people. You purchase your bike based on components and they put them on a no name frame. The frames are probably manufactured by the same company that builds the big name frames just a different name.
^^^ This! Shimano XT and XTR have been at/near the top for over 30 years. I've got Fox Evolution forks and Shimano XT and SLX components on my hardtail. My next investment will be a full suspension as well.

TBO

PR Addict
I don’t know how anyone can ride a hard tale not judging to each their own. First full suspension bike blew me away at how much more comfortable it was. Cheater bike. At my age I can’t take the hammering on my body of a hard tail.
763C4BDF-F18E-470D-8887-3BB02AA13208.jpeg
BEC6AD0B-A000-484C-9FD4-07EECAE49FB7.jpeg

Mark414

PR Member
The biggest thing to do if you are in the market is do a lot of research and ride as many options as you can.
Try and get the best frame and suspension that you can afford as they are the core of it all.
Drivetrain parts are easily replaced and a lot cheaper than a $1000 fork or $3000 frame.
Unlike mx parts you have many more levels of parts as with Shimano you have about 8 component groups to choose from and they have all come along way in quality. I run Zee group on my downhill bike it is upper midrange cost and it works well and I know it will get beat to crap and I don't get hurt in the wallet as much as I would with Xtr or Saint parts when I have to replace it.
As ktm221 said both Shimano and Sram both have their strong and weak points Sram brakes work great but need a lot of upkeep where Shimano is very reliable. Fox suspension works great but you have to stay up on maintenance as you should with any brand.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I don’t know how anyone can ride a hard tale not judging to each their own. First full suspension bike blew me away at how much more comfortable it was. Cheater bike. At my age I can’t take the hammering on my body of a hard tail.
View attachment 71545

Wait, sooo much .....the Kaw, the bicycle, the white pegboard.... the killer bike vise !!
The kia - well,
What I want to know is ......are you working on the bicycle, the yard or are you getting ready to shear the dog .......

Last edited:

Mark414

PR Member
More fun than you can imagine, go to Snoeshoe, or Windrock, Windrock is s**t your pants scary it is so steep. Way more dangerous than mx by far.

Attachments

• 20201223_164123.jpg
    20201223_164123.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 20201223_164112.jpg
    20201223_164112.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 20201223_164108.jpg
    20201223_164108.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 134

mshafer62

PR Addict
Oh, Sharc...You'll like electronic shifters, 1x, and carbon wheels!

No stone age technology on a Sharc bike...

Then you'll need proper mountain bike clothes, helmet glasses, gloves, shoes

Bring your wallet and I'll help you!

Also, I'm surprised no one had mentioned gravel bikes. That's my area of interest.
Lots of routes on www.ridewithgps.com. Also, a FB group called Ohio Gravel Grinders
My vision is riding roads without cars (my bet that's why most people went to mountain biking)

Mark414

PR Member
Don't waste your money on a gravel bike, I have a new Specialized Diverge and I hate it tires too skinny and real sketchy, your welcome to ride it and form your own opinion.

MarctheSharc

PR Founding Father
I can see something in my near future.
Not sure what yet. Morethan likely have E assistance for sure. I dig my little E skateboard and think that it would add a dimension of fun to it.

Reactions: TBO

Mark414

PR Member
Not sure what yet. Morethan likely have E assistance for sure. I dig my little E skateboard and think that it would add a dimension of fun to it.
You want to try my Levo out you are more than welcome to.

MX099

PR Addict
We have 3-4 inches of heavy wet snow here in Western PA. I rode my e-bike today and it works great in the snow. Well there went my January/February couch time.

TBO

PR Addict
Wait, sooo much .....the Kaw, the bicycle, the white pegboard.... the killer bike vise !!
The kia - well,
What I want to know is ......are you working on the bicycle, the yard or are you getting ready to shear the dog .......
Unfortunately just lost the dog a couple weeks ago. He was the best loved to go on bike rides. Just got done washing the bike. Last ride of the year?