450 Yamaha's

John250

PR Founding Father
All I read on here is how the new Yamaha's are not competitive with Pro riders, that any other brand is a better choice for top level riders. I laugh every time I read these comments. I just looked at the SX results from the Mini O's.

450 Pro Sport
5 in the top 10 and the win

450 A
7 in the top 10 and the win

450 B Limited
3 in the top 10 and the win

450 B
4 in the top 10 and the win

250 Pro Sport
5 in the top 10 and the win

250 A

250 B Limited
4 in the top 10

250 B

Looks to me like Yamaha has it going on pretty well at the National level. I don't believe it is the bike at all in Pro SX and MX. I believe it is the riders. Obviously these bikes are very good. I am very interested to see how the Star Racing 450s do, now that Factory Yamaha is not calling the shots on engine packages and suspension. I bet you see different results. Barcia probably bailed ship a little too early, and Plessinger could be a whole new rider back under the Star tent.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
But you have to question, if the bike / brand is good, why can’t the guys the design, engineer and build them make them win on a pro level? They got to the point where they just say “f it, maybe an exbanker and car dealership owner from backwater Mississippi can make this turd competitive”.
Who and why would they do that? Can’t give anyone a warm and fuzzy about buying one
I’m not sure what is going on with the sport when three large factory teams just close the garage door and quits.
Perhaps we are going through a downsizing to get back to the level of “factory support” they had from the 70’s through the 90’s.
Johnny, I think you are just from the old school that had “brand loyalty”. Now it’s what’s cool, trendy and or cheap.
Just watch how many guys show up on a Gas Gas next year.

John250

PR Founding Father
I've been loyal to Yamaha since the 70s. I even rode the suck ass models in the early 80s as well. My "83 was pretty good.

Roachy

PR Addict
Made the switch from Honda to Yamaha in the late 2000s and no regrets. You can't beat Yamaha performance and reliability. The Yamaha 250F is by far the best and you see a lot of diehard KTM GNCC riders making the switch because the Yamaha has the performance but is far more reliable. Some bikes/brands may do some things a little better but they miss the complete package of the Yamaha.

MX955

PitRacer Pro
Made the switch from Honda to Yamaha in the late 2000s and no regrets. You can't beat Yamaha performance and reliability. The Yamaha 250F is by far the best and you see a lot of diehard KTM GNCC riders making the switch because the Yamaha has the performance but is far more reliable. Some bikes/brands may do some things a little better but they miss the complete package of the Yamaha.
Why are all your Yamaha’s so slow then Roachy

Scoob

PR Founding Father
Well, in my case it's not about the rider either, but in which one looks the best. Green is the color of envy. Let the good times roll I say. Although I am itching for a TX300i. Not because it looks so good, but more so the bike at that point...lol. I saw on FB that there was going to be a green KX300 next year...lol. ;)

jfalat

PR Addict
I have been riding Yamaha’s since 2008 and had nothing but good luck with the 2 strokes..if I was going to by a 4 stroke I would still stick with the yz..just my preference. and yes I’m slow so, but I think any good rider can make any bike go fast...

jeffro667

PR Addict
Back in the mid to late eighties, yz490`s dominated the open classes at lorettas, I can't imagine anyone riding one of those compared to similar year cr500`s and not thinking the yz wasn't a steaming pile of crap!

I used to be in the brand loyal category, but not for years. I have always been rather anti Honda, and still am, but I acquired a 96 cr250 last year, and I must say that it's a fantastic bike! I wish I wasn't so rock headed back then, because I should have been riding one back then.

About the only reason I can see to be brand loyal, is if you have a great, enthusiast owned local shop that is customer loyal as well.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
I’ve gained 30 pounds since my back surgery. So I can work on my fat arse as I work on the new project bike.
big plans for one, smaller plans for the other.