Bike Build... again

tank166

PR Addict
How did that bike run before the pipe addition? I was interested in how that kit feels in the modern KTM Chassis as I like OPEN Bikes!
I didn't get as much seat time as I normally do this past year so it's still a work in progress. Honestly most of my struggles have had more to do with my lack of experience with ktm. I've rode yamaha all my life so getting the forks to feel like I want has been the biggest issue.
The motor is a torque monster but surprisingly smooth. Has more torque than a 450 but of course it doesn't rev as high. It takes a little different riding style that I'm still learning. The bike has alot of potential and I'm confident it's biggest weakness is the rider.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
779C9877-2B91-4CC4-A938-C46C7C0745CA.jpeg

So I have been slowly prepping for this rebuild. Finally got a heater in my parts washer and created a small work area in a corner of the garage to keep the home live happy. How do you like the use of my daughters old toy organizer as a parts bin?
Really like the look (and even the process) of removing the parting lines in castings. Most if not everything will get coatings so they don’t have to be perfect. But Making it pretty is fun.
Still have not decided which direction or theme I am going to go with this project, but I am thinking the gold anodized look from ‘82 would look pretty sweet on the swing arm and linkage.
Anyway, work is going to start picking up on this bike. May 1 is my target date.
A26E3AFB-7568-4404-AB5D-A3611748154A.jpeg

Dano762

PR Addict
Still have not decided which direction or theme I am going to go with this project, but I am thinking the gold anodized look from ‘82 would look pretty sweet on the swing arm and linkage.

That could look nice. I found this photo a while back and liked it enough to grab for inspiration for a project somewhere in my future.
s-l1600.jpg

Be interesting to think about what you could do by adapting plastics from Nightmare racing. Might look hideous????
plastic 83 250 Nightmare Racing KX250 1983.jpg

Below is an '05 RM250 tribute to a '92 RM250

s1200_IMG_5103_1.jpg

Dano762

PR Addict
I decided to skip the old KX125 as my next project - Parts are almost impossible anymore for old Kawasakis.

Found a decent and fairly priced project. It is an 04 RM 250. Priced right because it dumps gas from around the petcock - either bad petcock, missing O-Ring, or cracked tank.

thumbnail_IMG_0206.jpg

Deciding between back to stock, an '05 Carmichael look, or a 2020 upgrade tribute.

Ricky Carmichael's Factory 2005 RM250.jpg
2004-SUZUKI-RM250-8-6.jpg
Screenshot 2021-01-02 005551.jpg

John250

PR Founding Father
"92 RMs have got to be the ugliest bikes in MX history.

Dano, I would go for option 3, but that is probably the most expensive option as well.

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Vapor blasting... did someone on here say they bought one? I have a bunch of parts to do. Who wants my money?
I would much rather deal with a fellow racer and not Bob up the street

John250

PR Founding Father
Vapor blasting... did someone on here say they bought one? I have a bunch of parts to do. Who wants my money?
I think Kreps said he bought a vapor blaster.

Finishing my Yz125 build currently. I built a vapor blasting setup for this bike. Just couldn't put it back together without getting everything looking brand new. I'm in northeast ohio. PM me if I'm close enough to you I'd be glad to help out. Been following pitracer.com for years, first post.
IMG_20200825_223529_102.jpg
IMG_20200806_192721_208.jpg
IMG_20200827_200654_617.jpg
20210124_172418.jpg

Last edited:

ktrop251

PR Member
I got a deal on r-tech revolution plastic kit for a yz so gonna give that a try on the 250.
Post pics of the r-tech kit when it's finished! I have an 05 125 and an 06 250. I did the airbox upgrade but the r-tech looks awesome.

Dano762

PR Addict
If not John, I have a friend in Louisville, KY that just started a new Vintage Motorcycle business. Pipes, restorations, race prep, and vapor blasting.

They bought Jemco and are making exhausts/silencers. They also vapor hone.

They did really nice work for me on an old trials bike I took it to a trials event in TN last week; beat myself and it up.

I need to make a trip to Louisville to pick up an exhaust. If you want to get the parts to Cincinnati, I can take them to Louisville for you.

Just let me know - DanO

Vet261

PR Addict
For the amount of stuff you want done, go with LMP as Dano suggested. I was going to mention them as well.

Dano -- when you are there can you ask them if they have a jig for '82-83 YZ100 pipe?

ck1racerx

PR Addict
Cerakote question... I have already glass beaded these parts but I don’t know how smooth the parts have to be before cerakote. I would like a little knowledge before I screw it up and have to start over