83 CR250 - I am not doing it but......

jeffro667

PR Addict
I actually messaged the guy about that, I can't tell for sure in the picture, but I think that's an 82. I can't see subframe bolts on it.

Reactions: k01

NQ1965

PR Elite
It's an 82.
He shouldn't have any difficulty moving it. Curious how the water pump is on it though?
$400+ if pump/clutch housing needs replaced.

NQ1965

PR Elite
The bike in that listing looks to be in better shape than mine. I started up the bike and ran it a month or so ago, other than that haven't touched it since I bought it.
There's a vintage Honda's group on facebook, those guys grab these up and rebuild them into amazing machines.
Love the Honda's.

IMG_3297 (2).JPG

The bike in the listing:
148225275_10157955633476220_481960864910175487_o (3).jpg

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
It is ABSURD that it takes me this long to get projects rolling, just too much other stuff always going on.

After racing my 98 CR250 this summer, and then lining up next to Greg Wheeler on his 83 CR250 at Grear's back in June, I made up my mind, it's time to get my project "CR"'s built so that I can race them.
Soooo, my intention is to use every spare moment this winter that I can, to move several garage projects forward before Little League Ball takes over my life again next April. Beginning with the 82 CR250, and 84 CR250 at the same time. I likely won't get both bikes done by Spring, but however far I get will be better than just sitting in the barn untouched.

1982 Teardown:
I've wanted to get to this bike for a long time, as I can race it in the same class's that I race my 82 & 84 YZ250's and KDX175. (plus having left side kick and right side chain drive makes it unique amongst all of my other bikes).

out-1.jpg

Felt like I was 14 years old again doing this. Love it!!!!
And you learn a tremendous amount about the machine in the process.
out-2.jpg

out-3.jpg

out-4.jpg

Magnesium water pump cancer. If only the engineers would have known!
out-5.jpg

Got some cylinder work to do here. Have never seen a piston that loose.
out-6.jpg

Talk about a horror show!
out-7.jpg

Broken clutch hub.
out-8.jpg

Fresh from Russell's Clutch in Australia. Got one coming for the 84 CR in a few weeks when he gets them done.
out-9.jpg

Overall, the damage has been minimal so far. Most hours are spent simply cleaning away all the grime and dirt.
Parts are on order, and time to work on the 84.
out-10.jpg

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
Seeing other finished bikes is always a good motivator to rebuild one.

Facing off against Wheeler on his 83 CR at Grears this summer. I had nothing for him, and he smoked all of us.
IMG_2188-RD.jpg

IMG_2009-RD.jpg

IMG_2012-RD.jpg

IMG_2014-RD.jpg

Last edited:

k01

PR Elite
Seeing other finished bikes is always a good motivator to rebuild one.

Facing off against Wheeler on his 83 CR at Grears this summer. I had nothing for him, and he smoked all of us.
Where was your 1984 YZ 250? That bike would seem more up for that task. Or for Grear's, getting a dreaded YZ 490 would be even better. Did the young man from Muskingum University pass you with his twin shock 125 Suzuki? Maybe just ride faster? ;)

NQ1965

PR Elite
Where was your 1984 YZ 250? That bike would seem more up for that task. Or for Grear's, getting a dreaded YZ 490 would be even better. Did the young man from Muskingum University pass you with his twin shock 125 Suzuki? Maybe just ride faster? ;)
The 84 YZ needed wrenching to get it ready for Vintage Days, and so decided Grear's would be a good race to pull the 82 YZ from mothballs and show it some action.
I actually had some pretty decent finishes on the 82YZ back in the years I was racing it. The bike ran awesome at Grear's, but the forks weren't properly set up, and I was bottoming pretty hard landing jumps.

Yea that kid on the RM125 was good humored about his disadvantage lining up against bigger machines, particularly on a track that favored horsepower. I held him off as long as I could, but he did finally get around me. Youthful Determination paid off, haha :D. I'm not that fast in the first place, (just don't get to ride or race enough) it takes me half the summer just to get decent race pace going.

[ Or for Grear's, getting a dreaded YZ 490 would be even better. ]
As winter unfolds, my 78 YZ400 is going to get some rebuild attention as well. I just have to think and plan my steps out creatively due to the very limited room that I have to tear bikes down, and storage.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Well progress is slow but I'm still pushing forward.

The wife and my weekly schedule, some areas have definitely slowed down for us, while other areas have gotten busy again. So exactly when I do get to "hit-it", varies day to day, week to week, and as usual, I'm not as far along as I'd like to be. Lots of family and work issues to tend to.

I made a decision to try something different this time, which is to try to do some of the work on a table in my basement. Saves me from having to heat up the garage every time, clearing the garage workbench area, and then re-putting everything back so that Nancy can get her car back into the garage at night. So far, it's working out well. I make sure I degrease all the parts well with odorless cleaners to keep the smells under control before bringing the parts into the house.

The majority of time and focus at this point has been on the 82.
The cylinder work turned out better than anticipated. The cylinder had previously been over-bored .020, and after clean-up, a light hone and measurements, discovered that the cylinder was still within wear limits and surprisingly straight. Needless to say, the piston was toast.
From my previous push on the 1984 CR, I had that cylinder bore pushed out twenty-thousands and had a new Wiseco piston ready and waiting. So, in addition to the book spec's, I had a prepped .020 cylinder and piston for measurement verifications against the 82 cylinder. I would dearly love and prefer to send the cylinders out and have them nikasil plated and see if it's possible to get them back to stock bore, but at $355 per cylinder to do that, it will eat up too much cash at this point in the rebuilds. Have to push off to a later date for that.

The crankshaft was my next big worry but once again, pleasantly surprised. Connecting rod measurements checked fine, and then the main bearing measurements showed a nice snug interference fit on the clutch side, but the flywheel side had a semi snug slip fit and measured .001 looser than the other side. (this was with using the new Honda OEM crank bearings). After studying on it for some time, further reading in the manual, and then internet read-up and You Tube, I finally decided that its close enough that Loctite 680 will adequately secure the bearing to the crank.

Following all of this came clean, clean and more cleaning. Got new bearings, seals and gaskets, which I pressed the bearings in today, along with flat surface sanding the faces of the case halves. Cylinder hardware and case dow pins are ordered and on the way. All of the tranny parts look good so far as well. Still need to chase bolt and screw threads and dow pin sockets. Getting closer to reassembly and will immediately open up the 84 afterward. The plan is to have both engines done, on the bench and ready to go.

IMG_0001-A.jpg

Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
yep,
Late June through middle of July, during mowing season, ball season, and Grand Prix season. haha

NQ1965

PR Elite
I'll have to dig a little Bill, but I know I have some race pic's with you on your 83 CR.
Might even have some going back to Action Sports.

#88L.... B Lane, 1983 Honda CR250
Vintage Days 2018................... I recall we had a pretty good battle in this race.

IMG_4250-A.jpg

IMG_4250-B.jpg

IMG_2182-C.jpg

AMA Vintage Days 2021............. Hare Scramble/Cross Country
I still owe Bill an ice-cold beer for his help in this race. Bill assisted me like four times to get up a nasty-ass, muddy, rutted and tree rooted hill climb, of which I finally failed due to a broken clutch lever and DNF'd the race.
I had night sweats for the next 12 months about that hill and the DNF. I returned this year (2022), with the decision that "Hell or High Water, I'm getting in my laps and finishing the race this year". And I did.

IMG_8346-D.jpg

Last edited:

BILL88L

PR Addict
Mike - thanks for the memories. All great times and I seem to have found a new energy to get back at it. Last 2-3 years have been less than inspiring for some reason-getting old I guess. On that last picture you posted I remember that day and the HS - I had just got my 21 KTM XCW 300 and after riding it a bunch and seeing just how awesome it is in the woods on the first lap I'm thinking "this CR is no fun" so I just stopped at the bottom of that hill everybody was getting stuck on and helped out getting them up-including you! CR is fun as can be on an MX track but not for me in the woods. I think I signed up just so I could get in early on Thursday.

Not sure if it was a mistake or not yet but I bought a vintage bike. Motor is done but much left to do. I thought PV bikes were money pits, not even close..... I can't wait for the spring and July. PS - I still have that bunch of KDX stuff if you want it.

Attachments

• 72 Maico 400 Running.mp4
    39.2 MB
Last edited:

NQ1965

PR Elite
Mike - thanks for the memories. All great times and I seem to have found a new energy to get back at it. Last 2-3 years have been less than inspiring for some reason-getting old I guess. On that last picture you posted I remember that day and the HS - I had just got my 21 KTM XCW 300 and after riding it a bunch and seeing just how awesome it is in the woods on the first lap I'm thinking "this CR is no fun" so I just stopped at the bottom of that hill everybody was getting stuck on and helped out getting them up-including you! CR is fun as can be on an MX track but not for me in the woods. I think I signed up just so I could get in early on Thursday.

Not sure if it was a mistake or not yet but I bought a vintage bike. Motor is done but much left to do. I thought PV bikes were money pits, not even close..... I can't wait for the spring and July. PS - I still have that bunch of KDX stuff if you want it.
NICE! The Maico's even looked edgy and mean back then. What did you think the first time you rode it?

I dug into my pics's - you, me, and beenridin at Action Sports. I think this was like 2013?
Those were some fun races. Really miss racing at Action Sports, and against members of the PITRACER crew.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Some CR250 pic's from Action Sports 2011 AHRMA race.

I'm on my 82 YZ250, with an 81-CR250 (#421-Thomas Batton) fourth bike to my right.
DSCF2129.jpg

DSCF2130.jpg

Thomas and his CR250 pulled the lead.

DSCF2131.jpg

The next class we had S. Stanford #244 (Pitracer- evomx244) on my right on an 82 CR250, and we have an 83 CR250 (#4J - Jay Gref ) to my left.
Other notable mentions: Kaho #K1O on his 84 YZ125 down on the end. #501- Kurt Mosher on an RM.

DSCF2150.jpg

And the 83 CR250 pulls the holeshot!

DSCF2151.jpg

Last edited: