83 CR250 - I am not doing it but......

BILL88L

PR Addict
NICE! The Maico's even looked edgy and mean back then. What did you think the first time you rode it?
Rode it in a circle for about 3 minutes the day that video was shot. It is fast for sure but beyond that not sure yet. I have some work to do but am looking forward to seeing how it goes... It is actually pretty low hours and basically all original.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Race pic's between you and I (and your Honda) at Action Sports, 2013.
(Vet261-J Kreps on the line as well).
IMG_1690-sm.jpg

IMG_1740-sm.jpg

Chasing down "Beenridin" - M Babet
IMG_1744-sm.jpg

Great jump before final lap. (Note: Drew Wolfe spectating on the score keeper's platform)
IMG_1746-sm.jpg

Giving these old bikes a good workout. As they were meant to be run.
IMG_1752-sm.jpg

IMG_1756-sm.jpg

IMG_1758-sm.jpg

IMG_3690-X3.jpg

Love this pic!
IMG_8398-X3.jpg

If memory serves me correct, #2 is EVO244MX - S Stanford on what looks to be an 89 CR250, being challenged by a 95-96 CR I'm guessing.
I know I'm repeating myself here, but this is my absolute favorite race-start pic's that I have. This section of track following the first turn left hand sweeper was an absolute blast!
IMG_8611-X3.jpg

Last edited:

k01

PR Elite
Race pic's between you and I (and your Honda) at Action Sports, 2013.
(Vet261-J Kreps on the line as well).
View attachment 77793

View attachment 77794

Chasing down "Beenridin" - M Babet
View attachment 77795

Great jump before final lap. (Note: Drew Wolfe spectating on the score keeper's platform)
View attachment 77796

Giving these old bikes a good workout. As they were meant to be run.
View attachment 77797

View attachment 77798

View attachment 77799

View attachment 77800

Love this pic!
View attachment 77801

If memory serves me correct, #2 is EVO244MX - S Stanford on what looks to be an 89 CR250, being challenged by a 95-96 CR I'm guessing.
I know I'm repeating myself here, but this is my absolute favorite race-start pic's that I have. This section of track following the first turn left hand sweeper was an absolute blast!
View attachment 77802
Do miss that place. Look at those young guys in the 40+ and evo class.

beenridin

PR Elite
Don't forget this guy on a 77 YZ 125
I recently just purchased that bike back with all white plastics in euro style

Attachments

• 7133FFA4-8487-40D7-BCEB-6AD7099D18FA.jpeg
    7133FFA4-8487-40D7-BCEB-6AD7099D18FA.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 5F60E040-EEFA-40AE-AFF6-84462450FB97.jpeg
    5F60E040-EEFA-40AE-AFF6-84462450FB97.jpeg
    223.6 KB · Views: 85

NQ1965

PR Elite
A little rebuild update: It's Feb 9th already and I'm still working on the 82CR.

Our oldest granddaughter is on the 7th-8th grade cheerleader squad at her school, so we had to go to all of the basketball games, which ate up two nights a week for the last month. Ugh!

Back in early January I had ordered clutch parts, as both my center hub and basket were damaged. As I waited for parts, I continued work on the case halves, tranny and crank, and had managed to finally pull the engine case back together. I had a lot of hours getting everything cleaned, checked to spec, aligned and assembled.

Ordering clutch parts got really hairy as I had to discover the hard way that the 1982 has a one-off clutch assembly keeping me from using 81 or 83 parts. The schematics on the OEM parts sites show that the 82 & 83 use the same clutch, but from all my digging and studying on it, the 83's are definitely different. To make it more challenging, doesn't appear that anything aftermarket exist either.

So, to begin with I found a really nice 1981 basket, received and discovered the center shaft diameter is smaller and uses a bushing instead of needle bearings. So back it went. Then I found what appeared to be a decent 1982 basket, ordered it and again had to wait for shipping. The day It arrived I immediately tried it on my engine only to find that someone had remounted the ring gear and it wasn't correctly aligned. The teeth were worn unevenly around the gear and the basket would only rotate about 180degrees before binding up against the crank and idler gear. I didn't notice but the ebay seller had "Accepts "NO" returns on parts" on his sale listing. I contacted the seller, explained the issue, sent pic's and then he began the hunt for another basket for me. Long story shortened, he found me another basket and I returned the bad unit back to him and we closed the deal. What hurt me the most in all of this was the extra expense of returning two clutch baskets, and all the lost time waiting. I lost over a month on just the clutch.

And then of course you have several orders for thrust washers, seals and hardware through RM-ATV that cost too much in shipping costs and take too long to arrive.
Sunday evening, I got the water pump impeller installed in the side cover, but again lost a lot of time cleaning parts and getting the old bearing off the shaft. I still have more cylinder work to do and engine painting.

I made the decision that I need to be able to work on other bike parts as well as wrapping up the engine, so Tuesday evening I power washed the bike down, and then tonight with this weather warm up, I was able to finally get the bike stripped down to the frame. After a lot of thought on this I want to strip and blast the frame down myself, really inspect the frame and welds over closely and just paint it with rattle cans and clear coat. I know it's the slow and hard way, but that's my anal personality at work there, haha.

I wish that I could just snap my fingers and turn a bike around a lot faster and cheaper but by making myself really slow down and take my time, I enjoy the process and the bike so much more. I've also reached the realization that I don't want a polished perfect show bike, I just want it to look similar to 1982 standards with a few upgrades here and there. Hell, sometimes I enjoy just sitting and staring at my bikes in the garage or hopping up in the saddle and taking in the moment.

When I was a teenager, I loved wrenching and cleaning on my motorcycle. And back in the eighties I would've loved having these bikes but couldn't, and now... here they are sitting in my garage. :cool:

IMG_0010-small.jpg

IMG_0007-small.jpg

Last edited:

Vet261

PR Addict
When I was a teenager, I loved wrenching and cleaning on my motorcycle. And back in the eighties I would've loved having these bikes but couldn't, and now... here they are sitting in my garage.
I go through phases. Sometimes I am in the shop all the time fiddling with stuff and vapor blasting whatever I can find. Other times I feel like it's all junk and I need to get rid of everything and go live on a cruise ship.

In my old age I think I'm becoming moto-bi-polar!

Dano762

PR Addict
I go through phases. Sometimes I am in the shop all the time fiddling with stuff and vapor blasting whatever I can find. Other times I feel like it's all junk and I need to get rid of everything and go live on a cruise ship.

In my old age I think I'm becoming moto-bi-polar!
I am right there with your thoughts but not on a cruise ship because I would swell up and explode if all that food was around me all the time. Sometimes I envision the DanO collection at a Mecum Auction to clear everthing out.

You went through a pretty big shop clearing a few years ago. I haven't bought anything since your 92 RM250. And have actually sold a few.

I had a blast racing in 2021 but 2022 was a lost year managing parents' and relatives' health needs. I do have best intentions to ride/race more in 2023.

Mike, your motor is coming along. I agree with not trying to perfect everything to "show" bike standards. I found a variety of Kawasaki, Honda and other Facebook groups that have examples of guys over restoring bikes down to the every last bolt "show queens". Just so darn expensive and it doesn't matter to me if the sheen on a clutch cover is a bit too glossy or not glossy enough.

I pulled the wheels and suspension apart on my Elsinore; ready to get it back together. It is so rock solid and reliable but had a few bent spokes and crack in a rim that needed taken care of.

Hope to see you all later this spring and summer - DanO

74 CR no wheels.jpg
CR Hubs.jpg

NQ1965

PR Elite
I am right there with your thoughts but not on a cruise ship because I would swell up and explode if all that food was around me all the time. Sometimes I envision the DanO collection at a Mecum Auction to clear everthing out.

You went through a pretty big shop clearing a few years ago. I haven't bought anything since your 92 RM250. And have actually sold a few.

I had a blast racing in 2021 but 2022 was a lost year managing parents' and relatives' health needs. I do have best intentions to ride/race more in 2023.

Mike, your motor is coming along. I agree with not trying to perfect everything to "show" bike standards. I found a variety of Kawasaki, Honda and other Facebook groups that have examples of guys over restoring bikes down to the every last bolt "show queens". Just so darn expensive and it doesn't matter to me if the sheen on a clutch cover is a bit too glossy or not glossy enough.

I pulled the wheels and suspension apart on my Elsinore; ready to get it back together. It is so rock solid and reliable but had a few bent spokes and crack in a rim that needed taken care of.

Hope to see you all later this spring and summer - DanO

View attachment 78195View attachment 78196
So how do you like racing the vintage Elsinore Dan?
The Honda's are extremely competitive at Vintage Days.

evomx244

PR Addict
Some CR250 pic's from Action Sports 2011 AHRMA race.

I'm on my 82 YZ250, with an 81-CR250 (#421-Thomas Batton) fourth bike to my right.
View attachment 77738

View attachment 77739

Thomas and his CR250 pulled the lead.

View attachment 77740

The next class we had S. Stanford #244 (Pitracer- evomx244) on my right on an 82 CR250, and we have an 83 CR250 (#4J - Jay Gref ) to my left.
Other notable mentions: Kaho #K1O on his 84 YZ125 down on the end. #501- Kurt Mosher on an RM.

View attachment 77741

And the 83 CR250 pulls the holeshot!

View attachment 77742
this was a rare pic of me racing my #244 1981 CR 250, I think it was the only time I raced it. I remember the front brake wasn't working very well. I don't recall how I did on it. I raced and owned 1981, 1982 and 1983 CR250's. The 83 was the best bike overall but my favorite was the 82 CR250 probably my favorite vintage bike I raced.

NQ1965

PR Elite
Power wash and tear down. Two days later when I began cleanup on the frame, I tipped it over and trapped water began coming out of frame tubes.

1676854022171.png

A short while later I discovered this on the bottom of the left down tube.
1676854533372.jpeg

The tubing had become quite thin. After thinking on it a few days and waiting for this weekend to attack it, I was able to get some re-enforcement material welded in.
1676855195108.jpeg

Left side after repair.
1676855441671.jpeg

Right side after repair
1676855513897.jpeg

k01

PR Elite
I've had that happen too. Hidden rust in 40 year frames go together. These bikes really weren't made to be ridden this long!