OMA Potential Class Changes

BriarcliffMx

PR Founding Father
This was sent to me by Jeff Pape, it is the changes that Victory Sports is implementing this season, thoughts???

"Class Changes for the A Classes & B Classes for ALL Victory Sports Motocross Races for 2021
Starting with the season opener at Muddy Creek Raceway on MARCH 13-14, we are going to have CLASS CHANGES for the MEGA Series, the ULTRA Series, the BIG Series, & the SAS Series.

We will only have ONE B Class (OPEN B), and the 250 A and 450 A classes will become All-Star A/B classes. B Class riders will get paid with VISA cards (approved by AMA) and the A riders will get $ check or cash.
B Class riders will have several other classes they can run for a second or third class (Schoolboy, Collegeboy, & 25+).

This will put more riders into these All-Star classes. B riders can sharpen their skills to get ready for Loretta’s or their A/Pro career.
PRO riders will now have a bigger purse and this will pretty much assure that there will be enough riders in the class for the factories to pay out the contingency.
Most other areas of racing have already been running these classes.

**OPEN B (122-450cc). 14+ yrs to ride 250cc, 16 to ride 450
**250 All-Star A/B – A riders get $ Check, B Riders get VISA card
**450 All-Star A/B – A riders get $ Check, B riders get VISA Card"

I support this bc it will eventually make the B riders faster. I know one of the hardest parts transitioning from B to A is the speed. Front B riders might only be mid pack A and it’s hard to grow the speed just jumping into A class.

Years ago (like 2003) the AMA tried to advance a whole bunch of us to A class because D12 ran a class called +30A/B. They said at the time you cannot have a combined class with A, and anyone racing that is then A. It caused D12 to remove that class structure and change the names to Vet +30 and +30 Sport (basically C).

Just weird how they have completely reversed direction on that whole thing with these 'all star' classes.

Again, just looking for thoughts, Id say I'm 50/50 on this right now. It probably needs some more thought put into it. I like how different it is, but implementing it may come with unforeseen issues.

So there will be a payout for B class that is in a visa card? That's kind of cool. Seems more enticing. It almost makes me want to get behind a gate again. Back in my, day we raced for a particle board with a sticker on it that said "winner". My how things have changed.

Condensing the classes into one class and adding A/ B All-Star sounds like a wonderful idea.

Similar to a BC idea, but the BC ideas generally don’t work because the C class is already full anyways. So maybe all star is the way to go if you’re trying to bump up competition.

That should fill your gates instead of having them spread out in multiple staggers or in different Moto’s as well.

Although a Visa card is a visa card it’s still cash I don’t understand how they gonna get around that. I mean people used to complain to the high hell about Pymatuning hole shot raceways 20 lap event $1000 to win per class purse.

Visa card seems a little out there for me personally, even if it is AMA approved. I'm not quite sure how that will work with a set purse %. So do "B" riders get the equivalent of the purse amount for their finish on a card, or a standard amount? meaning if third place is $170, is it that amount or the $25 GC? How do you get Visa Cards for custom amounts at the track? And what is sign up for that class? $25-30 or $40 like an "A" class? Seems a bit wishy washy.

All that said, does this class start leaning too far toward B riders? Is it $30 for sign up with a standard payback of $25 $10 $10 $10 $10? "A" guys don't want to race for that even if there's "more competition". Why not run A and B together off 1 gate, no stagger? Let A guys get purse money, B get awards.

So many questions.

Keep in mind Victory-Sports also has a full compliment of "D" classes. Not saying OMA should have D, just that you should review all their classes as these changes might work for them but not OMA.

Visa card seems a little out there for me personally, even if it is AMA approved. I'm not quite sure how that will work with a set purse %. So do "B" riders get the equivalent of the purse amount for their finish on a card, or a standard amount? meaning if third place is $170, is it that amount or the $25 GC? How do you get Visa Cards for custom amounts at the track? And what is sign up for that class? $25-30 or $40 like an "A" class? Seems a bit wishy washy.

All that said, does this class start leaning too far toward B riders? Is it $30 for sign up with a standard payback of $25 $10 $10 $10 $10? "A" guys don't want to race for that even if there's "more competition". Why not run A and B together off 1 gate, no stagger? Let A guys get purse money, B get awards.

So many questions.
I always hated running classes off the same gate if they aren’t my competition. Quite a few times 250 and open A have run together, and I’ve been the only open guy. Obviously I’m still racing whoever’s on the gate, but it’s a kick in the nuts when they get paid out and I don’t. Racing someone is always better than no one though, so I don’t have the answer there aside from one money class.

As far as payout goes maybe make an inquiry with victory sports and see how they are doing it. If the payout becomes worse for the A guys than the current structure, then this isn’t the move.

I really don’t think it would hurt to do the purse as is now (150%?), with the B guys just getting a standard gift card amount. If they want paid they can move up.
When they realize they are beating A guys and getting “paid” less, that’s all the incentive ya need. They are used to racing for trophies so it’s a win win either way.

Last edited:
I like it, it's 1 less class. If you leave sign up at $40 since it's an A class only a few faster B riders will do it. They get faster and adds money for A class.

May cost promoter more money since more bikes equals a bigger pot if doing 200% payback.

I think michigan use to do this sometimes but B riders got a dealer check.

As described by tank and John, I can see that. Its basically an A class, but the B guys, or guys that elect to keep their B status, get standard awards of GC amounts. My standard A class payout has been 200% forever. I think we even have done 300% on occasion.

I think this is a great idea. I myself am a faster B rider that has wanted to move up to A but stay down every year to try for Loretta’s. Like one of the others said. This will help B riders sharpen their skills but also not let there be a 3-4 rider A class gate. I agree with Johnny #28. Regardless of the payout. B kids would be happy with a standard rate each race if nothing else could get resolved. $30-40.

You could even charge the a riders 40 but then charge the b riders the standard rate 30.

they race, however they finish you look at their designation. If a B rider wins, he gets a gift card or trophy or whatever that every am class gets. And if the first A rider is second, he gets paid out for 1st with the purse money....would have to develop a process that looks at designation and place. But could be done easily in my opinion....

So when I race I usually run B and +30 just because I’m not in it hard enough to go to a. I don’t race enough, But with an A/B All-Star class that would incentivize me to race more knowing that I’m not just gonna be racing at five guys or three guys on a staggered gate....

I wonder though if that would incentivize others to race more or if it would do the opposite and incentivize people to race less because they want their own class and they want their own win or whatever, yeah there’s two types of people that race, ones that always have to win and then others I just want to race larger gates.Now for me I want to race larger gates could really care less so much about if I’m winning but if I’m winning sweet but on the flipside I don’t want to race three guys and win. No fun in that full Gates is where it’s at.

And that’s probably another reason why I just hit qualifiers and regionals because even if I’m not making it I know I’m racin my ass off with 10 - 15 great competitors all around me.

Oh really what’s the local environment like are there more guys that want their own class to win or are there more guys that want a big gate because the promoter still needs to make money so you have to weigh that too.

Last edited:
You could even charge the a riders 40 but then charge the b riders the standard rate 30.

they race, however they finish you look at their designation. If a B rider wins, he gets a gift card or trophy or whatever that every am class gets. And if the first A rider is second, he gets paid out for 1st with the purse money....would have to develop a process that looks at designation and place. But could be done easily in my opinion....

So when I race I usually run B and +30 just because I’m not in it hard enough to go to a. I don’t race enough, But with an A/B All-Star class that would incentivize me to race more knowing that I’m not just gonna be racing at five guys or three guys on a staggered gate....

I wonder though if that would incentivize others to race more or if it would do the opposite and incentivize people to race less because they want their own class and they want their own win or whatever, yeah there’s two types of people that race, ones that always have to win and then others I just want to race larger gates.Now for me I want to race larger gates could really care less so much about if I’m winning but if I’m winning sweet but on the flipside I don’t want to race three guys and win. No fun in that full Gates is where it’s at.

And that’s probably another reason why I just hit qualifiers and regionals because even if I’m not making it I know I’m racin my ass off with 10 - 15 great competitors all around me.

Oh really what’s the local environment like are there more guys that want their own class to win or are there more guys that want a big gate because the promoter still needs to make money so you have to weigh that too.
To hard to calculate the purse when mixing $30 and $40 sign ups. Its a percentage based payout. It would be easier, and much more appreciated by the A riders to charge $40. $30 just decreases their payout.

Essentially the purse should be almost no different then if you traditionally split the classes up, no? Considering you can only pay the A riders.....?

I feel like you’ll get push back for the more expensive All-Star class ( from b riders )that still pays out a trophy. I guess to justify Cost increase he probably have to offer dealer checks/gift certificates.

Back