Explain, eroc, gncc, hare scrambles, etc in Ohio

Feel your pain - so to speak. Similar situation in 2013 with my twins, 1 was hurt at TV Land after the races (13 yrs old) . He was riding- him and his brother with other kids, crashed and busted himself up pretty well. Broken tibia, chipped tooth, shoulder all messed up etc... Turned into a huge mess with his mother (my ex-wife) to the point there was a court order that kept them from riding for over 1.5 years. Not a proud moment from parenting standpoint - as this was directed clearly at me. Eventually they were able to ride again and played all the high school sports. The one who was injured - wiped out a knee playing football and played with a knee brace till he graduated. The other broke his arm in soccer but recovered. I never made an issue out of the "stick and ball" injuries, they loved playing those sports. I was disgusted with my ex-wife at the time and it still bothers me but they know it wasn't me. Every time 1 of my sons gets hurt as well as myself I say - "that's it - but I just end up right back at it". Some people are addicted to drugs, gambling, drinking or whatever - I cant stay away from this. I just go slower and become more selective. Good luck and I hope it all works out in the end.

I’m beyond grateful that my parents never made me give up this sport when I was younger. Now being a parent myself, I can see how hard it had to be for them seeing me suffer some nasty injuries and going through my fair share of surgeries.

As hard as it was for them, the memories we made will last a lifetime and that is priceless. Another bonus is racing kept me out of trouble. Instead of going out drinking every weekend in high school, we were going racing.

My oldest daughter now rides a little but doesn’t show much interest in racing and that is perfectly fine with me! I was torn on if I’d ever let her ride but then the memories from my childhood came back and I couldn’t deny her of that. If she ever decides to race that will 100% be her decision to make.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Once things settle down down and kid is able and cleared to ride, (if that is what you decide to do) probably a good idea to look into getting some training to help him be safer on the track.

Some people think training is just to be faster, but for us it's about giving our kid the tools he needs to be safe, so if he ever decides he wants to go fast, he has the ability to do it safely. He has been hurt and definitely doesn't want to do that again. All kids react to it differently. Some kids go back out same speed as before injury, and get the same results.

Plenty of options in Ohio for training. Maybe something that may ease Mom's mind as well.
He has trained with Gavin Grayck, Cam Minton, Andrew Matusek, Jared Lesher, Clay Elliott, and Jason Macdonald. Heck probably some I've missed.

Wait till you have a wife, and are 50 years old and get busted up, or just sore as hell and cant hardly walk on a monday morning from a bad back.......and she beats you up daily telling you everything you can do to stop this pain from happening!! No sympathy what so ever, lol.

We know a few guys who were paralyzed, one from breaking his neck on an airplane, plane hit an air pocket dropped and he hit the ceiling walking down the isle, broke his neck. The other was in college jumping on a bed in a hotel, broke his neck. My wife's cousin was in a side by side, hit a tree and he is paralyzed from the waist down.

The moral of the story is, it can happen doing anything. Football, playing outside, motocross, what ever. Sometimes bad things just happen.

broken bones playing baseball = "heal up and get back out there, don't give up!"

broken bones on a dirt bike = "OMG evil murdercycles!!!"
Perfectly describes my boys situation.
She was even excited for our friends daughter for being okayed to play soccer with her broken arm in a two week old cast.

I smashed two of my front teeth out .......stepping on a rake my peeps were using in the yard.
Took that handle square to the mug...

.....think i got a spankin for that too..........

Here’s the backstory.
I was doing it in front of them. Stepping on the rake and then catching the handle just before it would hit me.
I was learning all about fulcrums, angles, velocity, all kinds of good s**t.
In the beginning it was harmless and a great learning experience. Laughing and having a good time with it.
Then:
Me being, well, me. I had to start showing off and acting like a gunslinger by putting my hand up at the very last second just to save myself from the impending doom of the handle smacking me in the face. Repeatedly my father told me to knock it off. but ...... as would have it - in his voice “ Marrrc jew are just nut satisfied until jew take it tooo far. “

So been trying to look more into the fast traxx gp stuff.

Looks like class 25 would be what I would sign him up for. Start time at 1230.

How long does sign up take? Do I need to bring the transponder?

info and places he can practice at. I'm completely clueless when he comes to this stuff.
A cheap option for him to try out a harescramble course would be Lightning Raceway in Tippeconoe, Oh. They just had a CRA harescramble there on the 25th so the arrows will still be posted in the woods. Mini bikes follow the red arrows with a white background. The mini bikes usually run across the road from the main property driveway. Lightning charges $10 per rider to ride all day, and he also has a motocross track (no prep). The big bikes follow black arrows with a pink background, usually quite challenging.

A cheap option for him to try out a harescramble course would be Lightning Raceway in Tippeconoe, Oh. They just had a CRA harescramble there on the 25th so the arrows will still be posted in the woods. Mini bikes follow the red arrows with a white background. The mini bikes usually run across the road from the main property driveway. Lightning charges $10 per rider to ride all day, and he also has a motocross track (no prep). The big bikes follow black arrows with a pink background, usually quite challenging.
He has rode the mx track at lightning a few years ago. Forgot they have trails. We hopefully will check that out.

He is currently at the ortho due to breaking his cast in two spots already... Arm cast last 4 weeks I think before he broke it lol.

And it's his 10th birthday.

So been trying to look more into the fast traxx gp stuff.

Looks like class 25 would be what I would sign him up for. Start time at 1230.

How long does sign up take? Do I need to bring the transponder?
Whenever I've raced GPs I show up like 1 or 1.5 hours before the race to get parked and signed up.

I don't remember on Fast Traxx, but every other GP race I've raced uses those RFID transponder stickers you put under your visor. I've never used my orange Mylaps transponder at any of them.

Statistically speaking, any organized school sport is more dangerous than mx. Facts won't convince your wife of that.

Guaranteed what will work....time. Right now, she just wants to hurt you. Eventually your sons love for the sport will take front and center and she will let him pursue his passion. I'm speaking from experience.

Back