Rigs. Small trucks, towing, vans. etc

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Car prices are totally insaneo right now - I’m getting offered about 5 grand more than what I paid for my van on trade in.

Thinking about switching to a smaller V6 pickup and getting an enclosed to go racing rather than my van set up.

Anyone have any experience towing with a V6 like a frontier? Thinking a small trailer 6x12 at most with a v nose. Me thinks gas mileage would suck but by the numbers it should be able to tow up to 6500lbs.

I don’t really want a full size pickup - I don’t have a use for it outside of moto. I don’t commute anymore so whatever I get it will strictly be weekend use kayaks, moto, mtb.

what do y’all think?

freeh

PR Founding Father
I tow a 6x12 with a Nissan Pathfinder. Fuel economy does suck, and it is kind of a pain dragging a trailer around all the time. Once at the track however, it is nice to have the space of a trailer. Your small truck would likely tow better than my Pathfinder, plus you could throw the bike in the truck for shorter riding days. Do they still make a long bed Frontier? I know they just came out with a new generation. All that being said, I am looking to get a van again, probably a Sprinter type. I have had vans in the past and much prefer the convenience of not towing. Either set up has pros and cons. Small trucks are very small inside. Maybe the new gen Frontier is better.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I
I tow a 6x12 with a Nissan Pathfinder. Fuel economy does suck, and it is kind of a pain dragging a trailer around all the time. Once at the track however, it is nice to have the space of a trailer. Your small truck would likely tow better than my Pathfinder, plus you could throw the bike in the truck for shorter riding days. Do they still make a long bed Frontier? I know they just came out with a new generation. All that being said, I am looking to get a van again, probably a Sprinter type. I have had vans in the past and much prefer the convenience of not towing. Either set up has pros and cons. Small trucks are very small inside. Maybe the new gen Frontier is better.

I drove a new frontier and it didn’t feel small to me. I’m also using an NV200 right now so take that for what’s it’s worth. Only time I would really drag the trailer would be when I’m going out of town. So maybe 5-10 times a year.

I was trying to find a long bed but the dealership I was working with compared finding one to winning the lottery. Lol. I think the short bed would work barely but wouldn’t be much good for anything else.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Keep in mind the extra 5k you get on the van is being more than made up in the dealer's favor on anything you purchase. Also trailer prices are very high right now.

Oh yeah there are no deals to be had. But if it’s with house money I don’t feel AS bad.

freeh

PR Founding Father
1642598737542.png

Did a quick search on Nissan's site and found this. I would do as much leg work yourself to find what you want and not rely on the dealer

MX099

PR Addict
I prefer a trailer. I currently have a 7x12 and I feel lost when I don’t have it. I’ve had a few trailers and my advice would be to buy a good one. All trailers are not equal. You get what you pay for.

Vet261

PR Addict
Jack you have a nissan NV200? Mitchy Z has one of those.

You sure you want to go backwards in mpg right now? I'm actually looking for one of those small'ish type vans just because of the mpg. I'd prefer the RAM though. From my research it looks like the Nissan, RAM, and the OLDer Ford are the ones that can fight full size MX bikes in them. (newer fords have smaller door opening than older)

MX099

PR Addict

You sure you want to go backwards in mpg right now? I'm actually looking for one of those small'ish type vans just because of the mpg. I'd prefer the RAM though. From my research it looks like the Nissan, RAM, and the OLDer Ford are the ones that can fight full size MX bikes in them. (newer fords have smaller door opening than older)
A holeshot device is a huge help when loading through smaller door openings

Windtunnel36

PR Addict
I've owned most types of vehicles and hauled all over the place. For me nothing is more versatile than a full size van and Chevy at that along with a trailer. I used my van in so many ways and it does it all plus tows. Mpg's are not that much less than the average. It seems if you are towing a trailer not many vehicles get great mileage. I realize gas to get there is a part of it but I've decided when it needs gas I fill it up and drive on. Plus how much will you save in a trip, a few dollars after spending 10k on a bike and gear is a small part of it. When loading to go some where I've never said I wish I had a smaller vehicle. If you really want a traveling rig, a motor home with a trailer is probably the best combo. Of course your only getting 5 mpg's but all the amenities make it worth it if you have the money. I also agree, buy a nice trailer and you'll enjoy it for years and still can get your money out of it if needed.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict

Yep I have a 19 NV200 and it’s been a great little rig when it’s just me going riding. But adding girlfriend and dog everyone doesn’t have as much space as we like. It rides pretty rough too. I heard the rams are better. Little more space and independent rear suspension. NV has small tires too. I love it but I’m looking for a ~little~ more comfort on trips.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
I've owned most types of vehicles and hauled all over the place. For me nothing is more versatile than a full size van and Chevy at that along with a trailer. I used my van in so many ways and it does it all plus tows. Mpg's are not that much less than the average. It seems if you are towing a trailer not many vehicles get great mileage. I realize gas to get there is a part of it but I've decided when it needs gas I fill it up and drive on. Plus how much will you save in a trip, a few dollars after spending 10k on a bike and gear is a small part of it. When loading to go some where I've never said I wish I had a smaller vehicle. If you really want a traveling rig, a motor home with a trailer is probably the best combo. Of course your only getting 5 mpg's but all the amenities make it worth it if you have the money. I also agree, buy a nice trailer and you'll enjoy it for years and still can get your money out of it if needed.

I loved my full size Ford van but 4WD is on my mind. I hate getting stuck. I had to get yanked out by the dozer at briarcliff a couple years ago.

Toddco327

PR Addict
I’ve never owned a full size truck ever. Always a ranger or Tacoma. They will haul 3 bikes if you have to. 2 bikes and 2 110’s no problem. Or even 2 110’s and a small trailer with 2 bikes with ease. I have a 5x8 small landscape trailer that I use once in a while and it works perfect. Both of my tacomas have been 4cyl 2wd and I average 20mpg with the truck. 15 when totally loaded down. It struggles going up big hills with the AC on and loaded up but just take your time. It’s never let me down.

So with that said if your looking to just load up quick and some laps in and go home the mid sized truck is perfect. If your spending weekends at the track and trying to pull the biggest trailer you can get, you’ll be upset with your purchase.

Bill480

PR Addict

Fiat Ducato is a few steps below a Sprinter in regards to reliability; and that's a feat in itself.

MPG isn't everything

jfalat

PR Addict
F150 crew cab with the 3.5 Eco boost engine... 6x12 trailer 3 bike 50 gallon of water and still getting 18 to 20 rolling at 70mph... i was all ways a v-8 guy , but the turbo engine have so much low end its crazy.. you can find some good deals on a f150 if you search hard... the only thing i will say about the 3.5 is it has had issues with cam phasers, so if your not pulling a lot of weight....go with the 2.7 eco pretty much Bullitt proof...all are delivery and sales trucks all get over 200000 miles with really no mechanical issues at all..

Vet261

PR Addict
Fiat Ducato is a few steps below a Sprinter
Bill it's the "Fiat Dublo" that is the small one (Promaster City).

It's easy to say MPG isn't all that until you start driving around a 3/4 ton truck with a 6.4L engine in it. My usage for a small city van would be loading one MX bike and one MTB and driving out to AZ for winter.