2022 AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship

So do you think a kid that's rode 50s, 65's and 85's is a beginner? And should they be eligible to race C class? This is where I think the rule needs changes. A 3 on your AMA card and you're a B rider.

What's Matthew know? I am the "expert"!
Yes. They are a beginner in that class. Just because a kid at 14 is fast doesn’t mean he can’t race that class. It might seem unfair but going from an 85 to 250f would make you a amateur in that class. Moving from 50jr to 50sr is a jump. 65jr to 65sr. Maybe we should look at the word amateur and call it what it is. Alessi isn’t an amateur. He is a professional racer. Weather he is racing as a career on the national level or not, he is still a professional racer. He shouldn’t be allowed to race Loretta’s. Same goes for Reed, Brown, Carsten etc. They aren’t amateur riders.

Too many 50 classes
WAY too many C classes
Too many old guy classes.

Now i have be accused of living in 1985 but with this issue I think it works
1985 had 26 classes. Now they have 36.
I would go as far to say even in 1985 they had too many classes. Now its just ridiculous.

Yes. They are a beginner in that class. Just because a kid at 14 is fast doesn’t mean he can’t race that class. It might seem unfair but going from an 85 to 250f would make you a amateur in that class. Moving from 50jr to 50sr is a jump. 65jr to 65sr. Maybe we should look at the word amateur and call it what it is. Alessi isn’t an amateur. He is a professional racer. Weather he is racing as a career on the national level or not, he is still a professional racer. He shouldn’t be allowed to race Loretta’s. Same goes for Reed, Brown, Carsten etc. They aren’t amateur riders.
Again, are you talking riders who make LL or new to LL? The rules are clear, we may not like them but they are there to follow. I agree on your last part but just make a class for them to remove them from the regular crowd.
Too many 50 classes
WAY too many C classes
Too many old guy classes.

Now i have be accused of living in 1985 but with this issue I think it works
1985 had 26 classes. Now they have 36.
I would go as far to say even in 1985 they had too many classes. Now its just ridiculous.
Why? Everyone still gets 3 motos, you're going there knowing it's a week long ordeal. If you don't like it, don't go. The gates are all full with alternates waiting so obviously getting paying riders isn't an issue. The nationals have empty gates this year, maybe they should cut classes

Simple, Your devaluing a championship.
I know PitRacer is full of dudes that say, "Its an accomplishment just to make it" No, no its not. Winning is an accomplishment. If you go in one of these 47,000 classes knowing or even thinking you cant win, and or, "If i get in the top 20 I will be happy" then you do not even deserve to go. Stay at home, race local and IF you get good enough to win, then signup in a real class and earn it.

Simple, Your devaluing a championship.
I know PitRacer is full of dudes that say, "Its an accomplishment just to make it" No, no its not. Winning is an accomplishment. If you go in one of these 47,000 classes knowing or even thinking you cant win, and or, "If i get in the top 20 I will be happy" then you do not even deserve to go. Stay at home, race local and IF you get good enough to win, then signup in a real class and earn it.
So if you have no chance of winning, don't try???

So if you have no chance of winning, don't try???
Correct. If your just making it in because someone crashed at the regional... save your money. Get better, then try.
Everyone knows deep down if they deserve to go, most (at least 30 of the 40 in each class) just will not admit it.

Screenshot_20220801-165600_Chrome.jpg

So you're boy barely cracked the top 10 his first 2 years, he obviously had no chance of winning, should have stayed home.

Might as well reduce the gates from 40 to 5.

Better...Justin Brayton. Won Daytona SX. Did not do well at the ranch. I guess he should have saved his money since he was never in for a win there. Didn't do him well at all.
Screenshot_20220801-170331_Chrome.jpg

His first year he got 4th. THAT is close enough to justify going.
For every Brayton you pull up I can name 400 others that finished 32nd then the next year they got 28th. Oh, what a great accomplishment. NOPE. If your happy with that, you don’t deserve to go

His first year he got 4th. THAT is close enough to justify going.
For every Brayton you pull up I can name 400 others that finished 32nd then the next year they got 28th. Oh, what a great accomplishment. NOPE. If your happy with that, you don’t deserve to go
So again, why have more than 5 gates?

Here is the reason that Ryan got to go to Loretta's. Since Blake was going, why not have Ryan and Jade tag along. A 6th place for Blake in his first year was good enough to say come and try again after training harder, saying your prayers, and taking your vitamins. And the following year for a brief moment, Blake was the 2003 LL champion, until the Cobra/MX sports combination decided that it did not matter what was legal at the Area and Regionals, it is not legal now;. After all, we can not have a KTM beating all of those Cobras. A third in 2003 means that Blake (and brothers) will be returning. By then, Ryan decides that he can't rely on little brother to keep him going to LL's and talks Troy and Michele into letting him drop out of school, hire a FT trainer and riding coach, and spend the winter in TX instead of MN, and we have the perfect combination for Ryan's 2005 trip to the ranch.

Blake Dungey​

Chaska, MN​

Individual Race Results​

Last edited:
Here is the reason that Ryan got to go to Loretta's. A 6th place for Blake in his first year was good enough to say come and try again after training harder, saying your prayers, and taking your vitamins. And the following year for a brief moment, Blake was the 2003 LL champion, until the Cobra/MX sports combination decided it did not matter what was legal at the Area and Regionals, it is not legal now;. After all, we can not have a KTM beating all of those Cobras. Since Blake was going, why not have Ryan and Jade tag along. A third in 2003 means that Blake (and brothers) will be returning. By then, Ryan decides that he can't rely on little brother to keep him going to LL's and talks Troy and Michele into letting him drop out of school, hire a FT trainer and spend the winter in TX instead of MN, and we have the perfect combination for Ryan's 2005 trip to the ranch.

Blake Dungey​

Chaska, MN​

Individual Race Results​

Don't really care why, my point is why do results matter? Desire and making it through the qualifiers is reason enough. Knox only wants winners, that's boring. I am on the camp saying good for you if you get a ticket, that's an accomplishment in its own right no matter what class. Then it becomes "I want to place mid pack....I want a top 10....I want to win. " Without a reason to improve, not many would compete.

Don't really care why, my point is why do results matter? Desire and making it through the qualifiers is reason enough. Knox only wants winners, that's boring. I am on the camp saying good for you if you get a ticket, that's an accomplishment in its own right no matter what class. Then it becomes "I want to place mid pack....I want a top 10....I want to win. " Without a reason to improve, not many would compete.
What you say makes sense. And most that make the 42 man gate are winning at home or they would never make it.

I just think that the PW class is a beginner class. Has no place. Once you get to micro 2 then LL can be on the radar. C class has gotten way too far away from what it was 30 years ago. LL has caused people to sand bag all for LL glory in the C class. Remove it from the list of classes. Those guys running top 25 at Loretta's are all B riders. At least the AMA does not allow them to defend their titles. If that were the case, they would never move up.

As for pros, they don't belong in any age classes period. If you made a 40 man gate or a SX night show, you're out. Ride Vet Pro or pro sport.

Just my thoughts.

What you say makes sense. And most that make the 42 man gate are winning at home or they would never make it.

I just think that the PW class is a beginner class. Has no place. Once you get to micro 2 then LL can be on the radar. C class has gotten way too far away from what it was 30 years ago. LL has caused people to sand bag all for LL glory in the C class. Remove it from the list of classes. Those guys running top 25 at Loretta's are all B riders. At least the AMA does not allow them to defend their titles. If that were the case, they would never move up.

As for pros, they don't belong in any age classes period. If you made a 40 man gate or a SX night show, you're out. Ride Vet Pro or pro sport.

Just my thoughts.
The c class is out of control, it belongs there but needs better rules. And they need an ex pro class, I agree with that.

I think c class is never going to unchange itself so just leave it how it is. I think it’s a person or kid who wants to go to LL one time and can make it there and say they went and it might just be the only time they ever even go

Too many 50 classes
Not certain I agree here simply because the four 50 classes are at least all on different bikes (i.e. PW, Jr., EV, and Sr.). I was looking at the 65 and 85 classes and they overlap, duplicate, yada, yada on basically the same bike. What's the diff between schoolboy 1 & 2? Granted, a lot of vet classes of which over lap 10 fold. In the end, what's it hurting to have that many classes? They seem to be filling them all. Isn't that the goal?...

Back