Grears GP by MERP - Course Preview

4DAIVI PAI2K5

PR Addict
Are year end points being calculated?
I didn't think so, but maybe just check the b and c class finishing sheets to see where folks are at.

Since it's a non ama event will it force people to a or b at ama races, if you move them up in a merp race?

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
If the other sanctions don’t hold accountability it’s a huge risk for a smaller organization to start enforcing that accountability.

What’s nice about the GP series is you can start implementing overall tracking and leaving out the A class in those numbers.

then on paper you can show these folks where they should be and maybe they’ll start signing up for their true classes.

Maybe incentivize people to race overall through year end award or something.
Regular class awards lame. Overall contingency or cooler stuff. I don’t know.

k01

PR Elite
Let it grow even more at Malvern. Local GP racing has dropped off in recent years and you are not only filling a void, you are surpassing expectations. Plenty of time to evaluate and have an even better series next year. Kind of wish that I hadn't aged out of things, what you doing is very appealing.

hershey

PR Elite
If the other sanctions don’t hold accountability it’s a huge risk for a smaller organization to start enforcing that accountability.
Why? What possible risk is there? Lose B riders that race C class? They have other classes to race, just might not get a trophy.

Is MERP even a sanctioning body in the true sense of the word? Meaning, would the AMA recognize it? ( this is not an insult, just asking. Not even sure what constitutes a sanctioning body that the AMA would recognize )Even if so, I think you would gain more beginners than lose sandbaggers. I personally know 2 people who wanted to race, came to the track and watched. After watching C class, they decided not to try it. Too fast, hitting all the massive jumps at the track. It was too intimidating for them. Where do these riders go?

Mcaupp22

PR Addict
The c class sandbagging situation is gone. It’s going to happen no matter what you do. Nationally c class are b riders and once they make it to Loretta’s they have to move up. But locally nothing is going to change. The kids coming from 125s and 85s are all going to sandbag c class till they either make it to ll or grow enough balls to move up

Vet261

PR Addict
Dust-o-Rama.

I get that you can't prep the woods.....but the MX track? THE MX TRACK?

Grears is an awesome track but they need some serious help with figuring out the watering situation.

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Are year end points being calculated?
I didn't think so, but maybe just check the b and c class finishing sheets to see where folks are at.

Since it's a non ama event will it force people to a or b at ama races, if you move them up in a merp race?
Yes we are working on the year end points - we are trying to get it worked out with our scoring software. I was doing it by hand but with how many entires we are getting I can’t keep up. We are going to recommend top 3 in each class move up.

I don’t think the AMA knows or cares what we do - and if riders would move themselves up I don’t think anything would happen. But.

hershey

PR Elite
Yes we are working on the year end points - we are trying to get it worked out with our scoring software. I was doing it by hand but with how many entires we are getting I can’t keep up. We are going to recommend top 3 in each class move up.

I don’t think the AMA knows or cares what we do - and if riders would move themselves up I don’t think anything would happen. But.
Like I said, you're doing great...keep up the good work !

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Dust-o-Rama.

I get that you can't prep the woods.....but the MX track? THE MX TRACK?

Grears is an awesome track but they need some serious help with figuring out the watering situation.

I think as a promoter I/we should have given Grears a better chance for a wet track and gone spring or fall for his GP.

In my/our defense - getting 4 dates nailed down with all of the scheduling considerations. We were kind of stuck with the schedule we were stuck with.

Ideal schedule was
Crow - Spring
Beans - Summer
Malvern - Summer
Grears - Fall

Thats clearly not what we got - the only track we (MERP) have control over is Crow - and we started watering Thursday night for the Crow GP.

So I’ll take the blame for the dust. It’s a clay track in Ohio. 90+ degrees. We didn’t stand a chance. Only 2 tracks in Ohio could handle that weather - beans and cliff.

Things we’re going to try to be better for next year.

NQ1965

PR Elite
The c class sandbagging situation is gone. It’s going to happen no matter what you do. Nationally c class are b riders and once they make it to Loretta’s they have to move up. But locally nothing is going to change. The kids coming from 125s and 85s are all going to sandbag c class till they either make it to ll or grow enough balls to move up
I read most of these posts on this issue including the ones earlier in the season around Lorretta Lynn qualifying about the sandbagger issue, but I still struggle to understand these guys. I even have a co-worker that I have personally ridden with and have suggested to him that he really should be racing "B" class. But he keeps signing up for "C" ?

Two things come to mind when I think about this.
First: I only began racing 20 years ago when I was 36 years old. We signed up at Honda Hills and was required to join District 11. My membership card stated that I was a "C" member for ONE YEAR. And at the end of that year, I did automatically advanced to the "B" class. If you wanted, or needed to re-enter the "C" class, you had to mail in a signed request petition to be approved to do that. And even then, there was a time limit again.

Second: From my first race, I always knew, that in time, I would be racing up in the "B" class. Once that time began, I was proud to say that I am a "B-Class racer". And I am still proud of that today! And at 57 years young, I give all I got, leaving it all on the track for the best finish that I can pull off. And if next year I began winning my "B" class races consistently, and it was suggested that I move up to "A"........ I would do it proudly.

Winning or making podium in the "C" class is great as a beginner, but where is the honor and pride after several years in that class?
I've also always heard it stated that if you want to get fast, you need to race with the faster classes.

Vet261

PR Addict
The mx track wasn't bad
Grears_GP.jpg

Looks great!

Shiiit I didn't even mention the back turn track because I know they can't/don't water that track.

Jack -- it's not on you or MERP. Grears needs to get a better way to get some water down on the MX track, regardless of time of year. At least have water down for the start of each session.

NQ1965

PR Elite

This whole GP series thing is picking up way more steam then we ever expected - we thought we would be begging for 100 rider days and at Grears we smashed 300+ entries.

I cant say enough about the whole MERP team - we all picked what we are good at and we work really hard to make sure that job is taken care of. I put a lot of effort into our social pages and promoting. I am proud of the whole vibe and look of our series - I’m proud of the racers we have coming out to support - but this isn’t a one man show by any means.
Love this video!
That was the start of our "B" class.
If you watch the left side of the group, you can see me on my 1998 CR250 getting a nice jump off the line and out of the group "roosting away". I just didn't have the ponies or the drive to get to the first turn as fast as the others.

After that race I was smiling ear to ear as that was without a doubt the funnest and most exciting race start that I've ever experienced. I was getting banged from both sides as we rounded that turn, but I kept my eyes forward and the throttle open and we made it without mishap.

(Sharc would've been proud of me, haha :D ).

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Love this video!
That was the start of our "B" class.
If you watch the left side of the group, you can see me on my 1998 CR250 getting a nice jump off the line and out of the group "roosting away". I just didn't have the ponies or the drive to get to the first turn as fast as the others.

After that race I was smiling ear to ear as that was without a doubt the funnest and most exciting race start that I've ever experienced. I was getting banged from both sides as we rounded that turn, but I kept my eyes forward and the throttle open and we made it without mishap.

(Sharc would've been proud of me, haha :D ).
Two strokes are sneaky good holeshot machines in the dead engine start game. I’m going to high point this weekend to race a GP and some motocross and looking forward to starting up front on my YZ250. Haha!

Jack Bierbower

PR Addict
Before bed we might as well hit on pit bikes, neck braces, Hunter Lawrence taking out shimoda, deegan claimgate, and mavtv to bring this thing all full circle.

But seriously thanks to all the Pit Racers for the support. Every race I get a handful of people bending my ear telling me what we did wrong and what we need to do to fix it. I listen to all of it - even if I don’t agree I listen and reply with respect. It’s 2022 and everyone gets to speak their peace and I just have to know when it comes to problems on race day I’m going to take the heat.

I can promise I’m not trying to ruin your Sunday on purpose - in fact me more than anyone probably wants you to have the most fun racing your motorcycle. I love it that much. I appreciate you guys all coming out to support and giving me feedback - good, bad and ugly. For the most part it’s been good.

So when we mess up - I’m sorry. We’re gonna mess up again but it’s not because we aren’t trying. s**t just happens man.

The night before the race a full blown kick ball game broke out - like 15 on 15 with parents in lawn chairs lining the field cheering everyone on. It was the coolest thing ever. Hopefully it turns into a little tradition for the MERP GP series.

GeorgiePorgie

PR Founding Father
Why? What possible risk is there? Lose B riders that race C class? They have other classes to race, just might not get a trophy.

Is MERP even a sanctioning body in the true sense of the word? Meaning, would the AMA recognize it? ( this is not an insult, just asking. Not even sure what constitutes a sanctioning body that the AMA would recognize )Even if so, I think you would gain more beginners than lose sandbaggers. I personally know 2 people who wanted to race, came to the track and watched. After watching C class, they decided not to try it. Too fast, hitting all the massive jumps at the track. It was too intimidating for them. Where do these riders go?
They go to the starting line.

remind them they won’t be anywhere around these guys except if they get lapped for a brief second. ????can’t not try it because your intimidated if classes. Go over etiquette and get out there and surprise yourself.

John250

PR Founding Father
The C class could be fixed so easily in my opinion. I've posted it 100 times here. Once you have a 3 or higher on your AMA card, your no longer eligible for C class. If your AMA card changes to 3 during the year before Loretta Lynn's, sorry your not eligible for C class at the ranch. It's a two year class.

Vet261

PR Addict
The C class could be fixed so easily in my opinion. I've posted it 100 times here. Once you have a 3 or higher on your AMA card, your no longer eligible for C class. If your AMA card changes to 3 during the year before Loretta Lynn's, sorry your not eligible for C class at the ranch. It's a two year class.
Sorry, I 100% disagree with that. C class is a skill level, not a duration of time. If you're going to say C class is two years, then how many years before we are all forced to A? 2 more? 4 more? You can't say B is a skill level class but C isn't.

I know people that have ridden/raced for 30 years that never got above C class level in skill. Heck at this point I'm basically a C rider now.

I will say one thing, I cannot believe that MERP has had 3 events and people are already freaking about C class! Crazy.

Last edited:

hershey

PR Elite
Before bed we might as well hit on pit bikes, neck braces, Hunter Lawrence taking out shimoda, deegan claimgate, and mavtv to bring this thing all full circle.

But seriously thanks to all the Pit Racers for the support. Every race I get a handful of people bending my ear telling me what we did wrong and what we need to do to fix it. I listen to all of it - even if I don’t agree I listen and reply with respect. It’s 2022 and everyone gets to speak their peace and I just have to know when it comes to problems on race day I’m going to take the heat.

I can promise I’m not trying to ruin your Sunday on purpose - in fact me more than anyone probably wants you to have the most fun racing your motorcycle. I love it that much. I appreciate you guys all coming out to support and giving me feedback - good, bad and ugly. For the most part it’s been good.

So when we mess up - I’m sorry. We’re gonna mess up again but it’s not because we aren’t trying. s**t just happens man.

The night before the race a full blown kick ball game broke out - like 15 on 15 with parents in lawn chairs lining the field cheering everyone on. It was the coolest thing ever. Hopefully it turns into a little tradition for the MERP GP series.
Don't take any of it to heart, your doing great. Use it for research only, the key is to understand everyone has a different opinion of what's good or bad. Take it all in, make your own decisions based on them and own it. You can never please everyone. Seems most track owners/ promoters get burned out not knowing how to do that.

hershey

PR Elite
Sorry, I 100% disagree with that. C class is a skill level, not a duration of time. If you're going to say C class is two years, then how many years before we are all forced to A? 2 more? 4 more? You can't say B is a skill level class but C isn't.

I know people that have ridden/raced for 30 years that never got above C class level in skill. Heck at this point I'm basically a C rider now.

I will say one thing, I cannot believe that MERP has had 3 events and people are already freaking about C class! Crazy.
Agree.

C class though.... it'd because so many blatantly abuse the system now. It's gotten far worse as the years go by, that's why it blows up every where. Used to be that riders wanted to move up, it was like a status of becoming better.