Bike storage prep

531stonewall

PR Member
Long story short torn ACL, mcl pcl about a year ago , I own my own business so I can work but couldn’t take the time for the surgery till now
2021 kawi 450 been sitting for a year , full of fuel , Sunoco race fuel
Forgot
No battery tender
Been starting every couple months , starts right up , run for acouple mins mybe a ride around yard and shut it down

My question , keep doing what I’m doing ? or drain all fuel pull battery ?
Also how do you get all fuel
Out of injector (is that even good for it )
I have a Honda battery tender my buddy told Me to buy over a year ago never used
Also bike is not in climates controled area ,
I will not be riding at all till summer
Thanks

I think I was behind you at Gary's when I saw you complete all the tears! Glad you are getting fixed up.

At this point I'd probably just continue what you are doing + battery tender. The only thing I would suggest is making sure the tank is completely full.
I would also give the whole bike a nice spray coating of something like Maxima SC1 or Motul Shine and Go. Just don't completely drench the rotors or calipers.

For the air filter you can install a dry one for storage, or fold up a rag and put under the filter in the airbox to catch any filter oil that drools off. Cleaning gooey filter oil out of bottom of airbox sucks!

Last edited:
Put it on a battery tender and you're good.
Or remove battery, bring into a controlled environment (of course these are lithium batteries, right? Can the freeze?). Could make a nice conversation piece sitting in the man cave, living room, kitchen, etc. Or not.

Last edited:
run it shut off fuel run till it dies a little stabil maybe should not need with high octane race fuel. Use the tender on the battery not the online app or you may not have a bike or house anymore.

I just picked up a bike with around 6 hours on it since it was new, it hasn't been run in a few years, tank was full of gas it doesn't have a battery because no electric start, but it is FI. The fuel pump was seized from sitting, and the injector was plugged solid, after replacing both and the plug and oil, cleaning the tank and flushing all the line and new fuel I found 8 psi with a new pump, turns out the pressure regulator had also gone bad and was bypassing the fuel back into the tank. All from sitting. Definitely don't let it sit too long without starting and running fuel through the system.

I just picked up a bike with around 6 hours on it since it was new, it hasn't been run in a few years, tank was full of gas it doesn't have a battery because no electric start, but it is FI. The fuel pump was seized from sitting, and the injector was plugged solid, after replacing both and the plug and oil, cleaning the tank and flushing all the line and new fuel I found 8 psi with a new pump, turns out the pressure regulator had also gone bad and was bypassing the fuel back into the tank. All from sitting. Definitely don't let it sit too long without starting and running fuel through the system.
How about bringing the ole 125 and 250 out of moth balls. Fresh gas and it’s ready!

That ride was for sure his loss your gain

B873FC7B-1B41-49D8-8FE8-CB6DC6D96B00.jpeg

Look out hells angels…

For the air filter you can install a dry one for storage, or fold up a rag and put under the filter in the airbox to catch any filter oil that drools off. Cleaning gooey filter oil out of bottom of airbox
If you have goo at the bottom of your airbox, you're not doing your air filters correctly!

Last edited:
Exactly. After 40 years of maintaining bikes I have no idea how to oil an air filter properly LOL.
You know me well enough that I'm not being an a*****e to you. But seriously, if you have goo dripping out, it's too much. If it is dripping it means it hasn't dried properly and can get sucked into the engine.

In 2016, the owner at Barr's racing told us to use wd40 on Austin's new mod race pw50 when we picked it up. I looked at him like he had 3 heads. Anyway, the discussion went to air filters and he told me you want the least possible amount of air filter fluid on with complete coverage. He said on big bikes to completely saturate your filter, squeeze out as much as possible and then put paper towels in side the filter and the outside and squeeze them again. Got rid of my spooge and have never had an issue.

2 articles to back up my reasoning. Everyone learns if they are smart, I've been working on bikes more years than you and I learned from Barr's.

Of particular interest is paragraph 5 and 6.

Here is the instructions from UNI Filter

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just educating.

Yeah, PW's have an air restriction issue already. Need to get the freest flowing filter and not add anything to restrict airflow... Clean it often...like very ride as well as carb every couple few. Or put a thick oil filter with heavy filter oil on it and not worry about it...lol. Just depends on what you are trying to get out of it and how much work you want to create for yourself...

To be honest, I hate cleaning/changing the oil filter, but is a necessary evil. I always tend to clean with 2 stroke gas, blow it off with air hose, and the gas still remaining in filter helps to thin, spread, and squeeze the excess out. I know gas will dry and harden rubber and is why I oil right away after cleaning. If it is my spare, into a zip lock bag it goes.

Did I mention I hate cleaning/oiling air filters? Therefor I tend to hate dusty tracks for reasons more than most. Maybe for the same reason(s)...lol.

Man, I hate cleaning/oiling air filters....

Yeah, PW's have an air restriction issue already. Need to get the freest flowing filter and not add anything to restrict airflow... Clean it often...like very ride as well as carb every couple few. Or put a thick oil filter with heavy filter oil on it and not worry about it...lol. Just depends on what you are trying to get out of it and how much work you want to create for yourself...

To be honest, I hate cleaning/changing the oil filter, but is a necessary evil. I always tend to clean with 2 stroke gas, blow it off with air hose, and the gas still remaining in filter helps to thin, spread, and squeeze the excess out. I know gas will dry and harden rubber and is why I oil right away after cleaning. If it is my spare, into a zip lock bag it goes.

Did I mention I hate cleaning/oiling air filters? Therefor I tend to hate dusty tracks for reasons more than most. Maybe for the same reason(s)...lol.

Man, I hate cleaning/oiling air filters....
His deal was its a race bike. You're only buying this to win races. He said only use a stock filter with wd40 and change it every moto. I cleaned the carb every moto also, if not we always had issues. The best day of racing was the first day off pw's. The 2nd best day of racing was getting off 50's altogether! Lol

His deal was its a race bike. You're only buying this to win races. He said only use a stock filter with wd40 and change it every moto. I cleaned the carb every moto also, if not we always had issues. The best day of racing was the first day off pw's. The 2nd best day of racing was getting off 50's altogether! Lol
Right on! :)

Back