KTM Production to china

I guess I get it, but from a quality standpoint, that would be the concern. As long as tolerances are kept the same, suppose that makes sense as long as the "savings" would be passed on to the consumer... ???

I was surprised awhile back to learn that newer 2 strokes have kymco components as well. While not china, close.

KYMCO was part of Honda but is now a fully Taiwan owned company. I assume if you consider them Chinese based off geographical location and not their (disputed by China) independence from China, they might punch you in the mouth. I would say they didn’t take what Honda taught them and throw it out the window. Plus I don’t think a company known for very good motorcycles is going to throw that reputation out the window. If you didn’t know they were making the change you probably wouldn’t know of the change. Companies don’t make moves like that without their QC people being involved. KYMCO has the ability to provide good quality products that meet standards set, at a cheaper rate… why wouldn’t you?

KYMCO was part of Honda but is now a fully Taiwan owned company. I assume if you consider them Chinese based off geographical location and not their (disputed by China) independence from China, they might punch you in the mouth. I would say they didn’t take what Honda taught them and throw it out the window. Plus I don’t think a company known for very good motorcycles is going to throw that reputation out the window. If you didn’t know they were making the change you probably wouldn’t know of the change. Companies don’t make moves like that without their QC people being involved. KYMCO has the ability to provide good quality products that meet standards set, at a cheaper rate… why wouldn’t you?
I didn't know until Ktm 300s starting needing cylinders quicker than normal and owners started complaining. Then someone posted a kymco stamped cylinder and i was a bit surprised is all. For how hard the Austrian brand is pimped anyway.

Sorry China steals s**t. Copies it. Flips it. A lot of manufacturers are seeking outside China for quality control.

Steris in mentor Ohio pulled back from China to keep a tighter control on quality.

The Chinese lie, they cheat, they steal. And just Just keep your kids on TikTok. It’s funny. But it’s absolute planned destruction of the United States.

Any contract to China is a lost contract.

Ok since I’m in the army and s**t. And currently not a fan of China I did some more research into this crap.

And this is affecting the Duke 790 and an another 900 model.

They’re moving 300 kind to China and India. From a business standpoint I can understand that when they’re trying to double their market share in the far east.

What I’m happy about is the remainder of production is in Austria. So we should see no dip in quality for moto.

I still do worry about the Chinese having access to their servers in China production plants and potential spill off ktm Austrian technology. Although likely they already have it anyway. But it’s still of concern. The Chinese are thieves. Would prefer not to be associated in any way with them but it’s a reality right now.

Well, i havent. Probably wont mainly because of air forks. Any bike id be interested is still going to be Austrian tho. Their two strokes are tempting but still probably won't ever buy one again. (Not because of where its made, but because theyre just not my cup with air forks). The kymco stuff is Taiwanese tho. I wouldnt buy one of the knock offs either. It was hard enough to stray from red n blue bikes lol. I was more referring to house hold items or clothing. Thats where its hard to avoid. I do try to buy usa when possible.

Last edited:
Double digit savings... In the millions. Money talks. People don't bother to care about country of origin as much as the others want them too.

May even be a loophole on the term "assembled in" that they won't have to disclose where what parts are made.

Last edited:
Double digit savings... In the millions. Money talks. People don't bother to care about country of origin as much as the others want them too.

May even be a loophole on the term "assembled in" that they won't have to disclose where what parts are made.
Most people don't care because its $7 for a can opener from china or $48 for a usa one. I mean, rich people with screw you money probably have an easier time of it, but most of us dont. Just look at shoes lol. I try to support usa moto companies best i can tho.

I didn't know until Ktm 300s starting needing cylinders quicker than normal and owners started complaining. Then someone posted a kymco stamped cylinder and i was a bit surprised is all. For how hard the Austrian brand is pimped anyway.
My buddy had the 300sx and both grenaded this year at 11 hours on both. KTM luckily paid for the fix but they obviously didn’t have enough R & D on them before production

Most people don't care because its $7 for a can opener from china or $48 for a usa one. I mean, rich people with screw you money probably have an easier time of it, but most of us dont. Just look at shoes lol. I try to support usa moto companies best i can tho.
I'm not targeting you, just using this as a reference. Select people want to argue the outsourcing of products from the US then go buy the $7 can opener because it costs less. Outsourcing a product is not a matter of who, its a matter of price, and china is winning in the price category.

My mom told me when she was younger everthing was not made in China, it was Taiwan or some other country. Maybe some of the elders can help input on this.

Last edited:
You're definitely right there are people who beat that drum like they sew their own underwear from the neighbors sheep. Then they wear nikes Lol. I'm not one of those. I TRY to buy usa but in reality sometimes it impossible or impractical. When it comes to these chinese race bikes tho, id opt for a lightly used jap bike rather than something that could be super sketch.

I'm not targeting you, just using this as a reference. Select people want to argue the outsourcing of products from the US then go buy the $7 can opener because it costs less. Outsourcing a product is not a matter of who, its a matter of price, and china is winning in the price category.

My mom told me when she was younger everthing was not made in China, it was Taiwan or some other country. Maybe some of the elders can help input on this.
They’re winning more than the price category!!!! They’re winning everything!!! Open your eyes!!!

Back