Leatt Street Brace

Lotts24

PR Elite
Has anyone seen this neck brace. I was surfing the net and ran across it. Sorry I couldn't get a picture over on here, but check it out. Very interesting, the back part is separated around the spine. It is structured a little like the Omega. Wondering if it would work for motocross and why was that one made differently than the motocross one.???

this?
146_1102_+leatt_corporation_to_introduce_sportbike_neck_brace_at_indy_dealer_expo+.jpg

That makes perfect sense. Throws my thought out that they were trying to make adjustments and improvements on the original brace.

That makes perfect sense. Throws my thought out that they were trying to make adjustments and improvements on the original brace.
yea, that was my first thought too, awhile ago. then i found something similar to that. i think it might of showed both or something. cant remember. but i like the idea.

I don't mean to derail the general topic but since Leatt is the subject...what are your thoughts on the new design (the strut is designed to break at approximately a third of the force that would otherwise be required to injure your back) and the brace in general? My son has the original model and I've been debating him using it at all, with the rigid Thoracic back piece, until we replace the piece ($69 - $149) or just purchase a new one. I wish I could find some data on how many injuries have been the result of the original brace and out of those injuries, if the Dr.'s thought the injuries would have been better or worse w/o the brace. My gut tells me the overall design has major benefits but I'd still like to hear some thoughts.

I don't mean to derail the general topic but since Leatt is the subject...what are your thoughts on the new design (the strut is designed to break at approximately a third of the force that would otherwise be required to injure your back) and the brace in general? My son has the original model and I've been debating him using it at all, with the rigid Thoracic back piece, until we replace the piece ($69 - $149) or just purchase a new one. I wish I could find some data on how many injuries have been the result of the original brace and out of those injuries, if the Dr.'s thought the injuries would have been better or worse w/o the brace. My gut tells me the overall design has major benefits but I'd still like to hear some thoughts.
what amount of force is required to injure your back? and leatt told you they will sell you a piece that breaks at less force because they sold you one that could potentially injure your back?

what amount of force is required to injure your back? and leatt told you they will sell you a piece that breaks at less force because they sold you one that could potentially injure your back?

That's what leatt is claiming on their website. I think if they know the old back piece is causing injuries then they should let you send that piece in and exchange it with the new design.
We have a new design leatt and the entire thing seems more flexible then our old one.

I personally would never wear one, I don't allow my children to wear them, and I have had a brother who has worn a brace, who broke his neck once and t6 and t7 in two different accidents while wearing a brace.. He doesn't wear one now, of course. Both times required major surgery. The lack of data, plus the combersome and restricted movement, I think would be a potential hazzard on a street bike.

I have noticed more guys in the pro ranks not wearing them. Now that Chad Reed is in non-Parts Unlimited gear, he stoped wearing the brace. Just an observation.

Good question, and what kind of back injury? When I inquired about the new piece they wrote back and just gave me pricing...no additional information. I guess in a round about manner they are telling everyone about potential back injury by posting this statement to their website "the strut is designed to break at approximately a third of the force that would otherwise be required to injure your back."

yea, i see that stuff. but where does it say they redesigned the piece so that it breaks at a different force than the old version?

I personally would never wear one, I don't allow my children to wear them, and I have had a brother, who broke his neck once and t6 and t7 in two different accidents. He doesn't wear one now, of course. Both times required major surgery. The lack of data, plus the combersome and restricted movement, I think would be a potential hazzard on a street bike.

I have noticed more guys in the pro ranks not wearing them. Now that Chad Reed is in non-Parts Unlimited gear, he stoped wearing the brace. Just an observation.
he stopped wearing one after his close friend andrew mcfarlane died. i think he is still sponsored by A stars.

I personally would never wear one, I don't allow my children to wear them, and I have had a brother, who broke his neck once and t6 and t7 in two different accidents. He doesn't wear one now, of course. Both times required major surgery. The lack of data, plus the combersome and restricted movement, I think would be a potential hazzard on a street bike.

I could never make that statement. Any form of protection has got to be better than None. Even if it isn't perfect, as NOHING is perfect or completely failsafe!
A helmet can potentially cause harm in certain situations (the face mask could potentially get caught on something and BREAK YOUR KNECK) But I would never suggest NOT wearing a helmet. Everyone has their own opinions and perspective, I just hope I can influence you to change your mind.
I like the look of that Sportbike model, there may be something there with that being crossed into MX?
I think neck braces should be mandatory by the AMA (especially for the PRO's just like helmets and boots) there I said it. Let the BASHING begin...

I think neck braces should be mandatory by the AMA (especially for the PRO's just like helmets and boots) there I said it. Let the BASHING begin...

I could see this being a good thing IF neck braces were tested like, say helmets. IMO, more testing needs to be done. I believe people, I included, jumped on the neck brace bandwagon because it just had to be such a good thing. I'm not so sure anymore. I believe they're a great step in the right direction, but I don't believe enough testing has been done yet.

I'm not a supporter of neck braces or knee braces... Never have.. Your body has pivot points, they are there for a reason, if you take those away your body will now pivot where it is not meant. Simple as that in my opinion!

Yeah, I see your point with the helmets such as Dot, Snell testing which gives you some sort of benchmark for safety tests. BUT what about boots? Same sort of thing as neck braces. Yes they are very cumbersome (PUTT around in an old pair of work boots for a couple days, then put your riding boots back on). Also no real testing I know of, But I would think it would be hard to argue that RIDING BOOTS are not better to have as not.
I am sure there could be improvements, But to suggest or choose not to wear a neck brace is the same as not wearing boots (there available and it seems foolish not to use it.) Don't hate, I'm just saying!!!

Riding boots an helmet are a protective shell they are not limiting the movement of your joints...

Back