Neck Braces YES/ NO

TCracing

PR Addict
I always thought neck braces were NOT worn because 1. too expensive or 2. Feel bulky or too restrictive. I had no Idea there was so much controversy over wearing one of these.

Just curious Yeah or Nay? for Neck Braces? and brief description as to why?

No. Used to wear one, and stopped wearing it. Like Reed says, I don't believe in them anymore. I won't wear it until testing is done that shows it helps more than it harms.

I am kind of torn on the issue. I believe in the IDEA however, I only believe in one brace a lot of companies just make braces and don't provide any information win the brace as to why its designed a certain way. I will however say that my astars brace came with a book that explained the testing and design according to the injury/injuries it is trying to prevent.

I also called astars about the brace before purchasing and was given a lot of information about the brace and why its better than the others that are out there. I am not going to give the information as I don't want a thread hijack but if you want the information PM me. I immediately purchased one because I believe in their product.

+2

Have one and only wore it maybe 3 times, then wrecked once and broke my collarbone. Nobody ever will know if i woulda broke it regardless, or if anything else would have been injured had i not been wearing the Leatt, but until I see some testing / statistics with proof that its doing more good than harm... it can sit on the shelf or somoene can buy it that feels otherwise.

images

I always thought neck braces were NOT worn because 1. too expensive or 2. Feel bulky or too restrictive. I had no Idea there was so much controversy over wearing one of these.

Just curious Yeah or Nay? for Neck Braces? and brief description as to why?
to make this argument worth while, for those that said yes they do wear one, which one and why? thats just as important. :)

barrington314's picture sums it up nicely. At this point they have become a preference more than a science. I personally wear one because I feel weird riding with out it. I guess this may just be because I have worn it for so long. I am the same way about chest protectors, I feel uncomfortable with out one.

Yes.

My dad died as a result of casing a jump and getting a severed Carotid Artery (jugler vein) as a result. They see this in whiplash victims sometimes, but they still say it was a freak accident. Had he been wearing a neck brace, we think that the chances of him still being here to ride with us would have been much, much greater.

After watching the David Bailey video in the middle of the night one night, I ordered 2 Leatte braces. They are somewhat restrictive, and it was somewhat of a freak accident, but I feel that I need to wear one, broken collar bone or not.

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer, but just giving my experience/perspective.

To each his own though.

i trust my leatte brace with my life. i went face first over the finish line at crow canyon, broke my shoulders from the impact but the brace didnt break my collar bones. i honestly believe that if i wasnt wearing it that i wouldnt be here right now. i will never ride a dirt bike without one for the rest of my life.

Yes, I wear the Original Leatt Club GPX brace with the original back piece still on it.......... when I'm riding motocross. It hinders me none while I'm riding but is a pain in the butt in the pits while working on things and looking around. I don't mind it and think it will prove priceless in the account of a certain type of fall if it saves my life. Have the same brace on my kid that rides too........

Until I see some scientific evidence that they cause harm........... I'll continue to wear it.

id rather see scientific evidence that they dont cause harm. but thats just me.

You bought into them when they came out didn't you? And they have scientific tests that were performed when developing the brace to show how it can help in the event of certain types of crahses / neck movements. Of course, we'll never know whether you would have been unharmed without one on during your crash, or if it helped in some way and saved you from full paralysis from neck down or death either.

The way I look at it, when your number is up, your number is up......... some people die easily from a light mishap, and some people live through plane crashes. I'm hoping to never have that type of crash or injury to test the theory, and made it 35 years of riding / racing without one with no issues. But I do believe in the theory and research that went into developing the Leatt brace for protection. Is it perfect? No. But nothing is in a crash of serious magnitude to your head is perfect or can be duplicated exactly in a labratory.....

Would Ron Boyas be alive today if he was wearing one? We don't know.
Would Andrew McFarlane be alive today if he wasn't wearing one? We don't know
Would Jeremy Lusk be alive today if he was wearing one? We don't know
Would Stephen Barrington be riding today if he wasn't wearing one? We don't know

No one can answer any of those questions and I'll put my faith into the scientific theory and research that went into designing and manufacturing the brace in the first place as my reason for wearing one.

brace

I like the looks of the Omega brace. I don't like the design of the braces that transfer all the force to the middle of your back, T-4 thru T-7 area. I would much rather have all of the force transfered to the shoulder blades, the hardest bone to break!! They also protect the collar bone one of the easiest to break. I also feel that all braces should be used with a chest protector!!! They help spread the force over a wider area.

I feel the the Leatt brace has a very bad design. I would never wear one. The only way they should be worn would be with a chest protector.

Just the thoughts of a paramedic/ racer.

Yes I wear the Leatt gpx style 2. I wear it because trees hurt. I race offroad and it helps keep my head stable when riding also not so much bouncing around. I like that. Not sure if I even need it but getting older I would like all the protection I could get. If I could get some flexible chain male suit I would rock it lol. I also wear chest protector that is integrated for the neck brace (tld one).

I wear a Leatt, and like one of the people above me said, after seeing the David Bailey video, I ordered one instantly. I heard of guys that break their backs because of them, so I also wear the new Fox chest protector and run the back piece of the Leatt on the outside of the chest protector. I did break my collarbone when I raced with the combo the first time, but I don't wanna blame it on the combo. If it happens again, I will most likely lose one of the two. But until then, I will continue to wear them.

I like the looks of the Omega brace. I don't like the design of the braces that transfer all the force to the middle of your back, T-4 thru T-7 area. I would much rather have all of the force transfered to the shoulder blades, the hardest bone to break!! They also protect the collar bone one of the easiest to break. I also feel that all braces should be used with a chest protector!!! They help spread the force over a wider area.

I feel the the Leatt brace has a very bad design. I would never wear one. The only way they should be worn would be with a chest protector.

Just the thoughts of a paramedic/ racer.

I had a Leatt (Broke my collarbone, tried to put the brace on after surgery/recovery and it sat right on the break) Switched to Omega and it is a much better design, just like you said, it spreads the load much more evenly.

So if you're going to wear a brace, atleast look at ones other than leatt, too many cases of breaking your back/collarbone directly related to the design of the brace.

My son and I both wear a Leatt. Dont think I would take the chance anymore without one. I know my wife will NEVER let my son on the race track without one these days. I saw the bailey video and bought one. Waited about a year or so after my son started riding for him to get one. I am with Rocket..I bought into the research that has been done. While not perfect, I think I am leaning on the side that I am better off with it than without it. I would hate to stop wearing it, and then have something tragic happen. My opinion, I am safer with it, than without it.

I don't wear one just cause I don't feel I need too. If there was some absolute proof they would forsure save me then I would. I think they are more of a fad in the way of everyone sees everyone else wearing them so people think they should have them.

I would like to see a chest protector that was actually a chest protector not a rock deflector come out. That I would buy

Back