Neck Braces YES/ NO

Lets just put it this way... would you rather have a little bulk when you ride, or would you rather be a quadraplegic and living off a computer like Steven Hawking? I won't ride without mine. I sport a leatt adventure, it's worth every cent. They come with body straps that hold it down so it doesn't move, which some use and some don't. Mine isn't very restrictive, IMO. You can turn your head well enough and you forget your wearing it. I'm sure that most people who already have had their wipeout in one whould say their pretty useful.

My daughter asked that I wear one so I did. I have no idea if it will help or not.

I can say that it is a sad day when we cant determine if a product works as advertised or if it is a marketing gimic to make money.

just my 2 cents

I wear a leatt just because I feel weird without it also,It sets my mind a ease when I wear,But like most anything can happen at anytime.

Yes.

My dad died as a result of casing a jump and getting a severed Carotid Artery (jugler vein) as a result. They see this in whiplash victims sometimes, but they still say it was a freak accident. Had he been wearing a neck brace, we think that the chances of him still being here to ride with us would have been much, much greater.

After watching the David Bailey video in the middle of the night one night, I ordered 2 Leatte braces. They are somewhat restrictive, and it was somewhat of a freak accident, but I feel that I need to wear one, broken collar bone or not.

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer, but just giving my experience/perspective.

To each his own though.

That pretty much sums it up... Had my brother had on would he have broken c-3, c-4??? Spencer was tossed like a rag doll a few years back on his 150r and had shifted c1 and his antoide process that had him in a collar for weeks......he had his Leatt Club on and the dr. of the house had several radioligist read his cat. scan and x-rays and they all came to the same conclusion.... that the leatt saved his life....Maccoy Shine came up on the short end while racing a SR 50... Broke his leatt sport in several places....listen to what I am saying.....he walked away with soreness in his legs and back.....he walked away.... Bet Chad Reed has been asked if it has helped him when he has gone over the bars and has replied "no"....

No. They don't make any big enough to even think about wearing one. Heck the only helmets I can find big enough are cheap ones made out of fiberglass.

No. They don't make any big enough to even think about wearing one. Heck the only helmets I can find big enough are cheap ones made out of fiberglass.

That sure is a spinoff I wouldn't expect to read...wonder if you could call or write to companies about that. You cart be the only one...?

Personally i dont put allot of stock in what the doctors say. They are a notch above weathermen in my book. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but there are allot of educated guessers. My bone doc said that if I rode after I had broke my arm, and I crashed, that it more than likely would break again, and that I should quit riding. So, for a doctor to say that a neck brace def. saved someone from a broken neck is iffy in my book. Broken vertabrae dont always lead to paralysis either. I think if its gonna happen, it will, neck brace or not. If you ride in fear, you should not ride, bottom line. You are a danger to yourself and those around you.

Has anyone thought about lifting weights to strengthen their neck and shoulder area?

Personally i dont put allot of stock in what the doctors say. They are a notch above weathermen in my book. I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but there are allot of educated guessers. My bone doc said that if I rode after I had broke my arm, and I crashed, that it more than likely would break again, and that I should quit riding. So, for a doctor to say that a neck brace def. saved someone from a broken neck is iffy in my book. Broken vertabrae dont always lead to paralysis either. I think if its gonna happen, it will, neck brace or not. If you ride in fear, you should not ride, bottom line. You are a danger to yourself and those around you.

Has anyone thought about lifting weights to strengthen their neck and shoulder area?
good post. i find it interesting that my doctors dont want to tell me what their thoughts are on my neckbrace. that they could have an idea and give a good guess, but without recreating it or testing it, they wouldnt know for sure. i guess everyone elses doctors must be smarter or something.

Check out RacerX films. There is a video from a month or so ago with Ryan Hughes at his gym. He goes over some workouts and at the end shows some neck related excercises.

I get all of my workouts from RacerX Virtual Trainer, and while they don't specifically say if something is a neck area excercise, I know they are. They do ALOT of shoulder press and upper back workouts. I imagine that helps, but still just an opinion.

http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/04/15/racer-x-films-rynos-gym

I am a believer in weight training that area of the body, but that probably comes from my football background. We used to hit people full speed on kick off team (it was violent), and the incidence of neck injuries was pretty low considering how much of the activity occurred on a weekly basis. I think it was largely contributed from the weight training done by players. I wished that I had not slacked off in 06-07. Thats when I seperated my AC joints on my shoulders. I am almost certain, that it was becuase I was not training like had before. I had taken hits like those in previous crashes, they were not bad crashes, my body just wasnt strong enough.

I think shoulder/trap workouts will help as much as any brace will. 3 sets of 20 reps db lateral rows, followed by 3 sets of 20 rep shrugs at a minimum (twice per week). Also stretching this area while you do shrugs or pullups will help with the potential for injury. The TRX suspension trainer really helps this area too, because I believe it helps strengthen your joints too, it also engages supporting muscles and joints too. Plus, if you fear bulking up, the trx is good because its body weight only. Seals use it.

Just my thoughts.

Ill testify to the wieght training to. If you prepare to crash your prepared athe best you can be if/when that crash happens. Also I acutally thought about the recent debates on the leatt brace not allowing a rider to "tuck and roll" and I thought there was some validity to this argument.

Then I saw a few crash videos of top riders where one second there on 2 wheels and the next second they are on their head with zero time to try and "tuck and roll". After seeing that a few of these riders had NO time to tuck and roll or even react, I choose to stick with it. Its a coin toss for many but for me I feel better with it on.

Then I saw a few crash videos of top riders where one second there on 2 wheels and the next second they are on their head with zero time to try and "tuck and roll". After seeing that a few of these riders had NO time to tuck and roll or even react,
you dont have to make yourself tuck and roll. its the natural "roll" of your body. your spine has a curve to it.

Not the ones I saw. Kids, adults, and pros....all have seen at least one lawndart into the ground with zero reaction time. at the right angle you can put direct pressure from the crown of the head to the neck/spine. Heck I think there was one last year where I think it was Townley(could be wrong) went head first into a downhill(fast) off camber rutt. I mean straight lawn dart. I respect everyones personal decisions....and while this did have me thinking Ive elected to keep it on thats all.

Your neck naturally rolls. I feel the leatt restricts this natural movement and pile drives you into the ground. I feel it does exactly what you say..." the right angle you can put direct pressure from the crown of the head to the neck/spine." I think that brace makes that right angle more of an occurrence.

And also drunks survive car accidents because they don't stiffen up. If you don't have a chance to tuck and roll chances are you don't have a chance to stiffen up...and your body can do its job by dispersing forces naturally.

I am a believer in weight training that area of the body, but that probably comes from my football background. We used to hit people full speed on kick off team (it was violent), and the incidence of neck injuries was pretty low considering how much of the activity occurred on a weekly basis. I think it was largely contributed from the weight training done by players. I wished that I had not slacked off in 06-07. Thats when I seperated my AC joints on my shoulders. I am almost certain, that it was becuase I was not training like had before. I had taken hits like those in previous crashes, they were not bad crashes, my body just wasnt strong enough.

I think shoulder/trap workouts will help as much as any brace will. 3 sets of 20 reps db lateral rows, followed by 3 sets of 20 rep shrugs at a minimum (twice per week). Also stretching this area while you do shrugs or pullups will help with the potential for injury. The TRX suspension trainer really helps this area too, because I believe it helps strengthen your joints too, it also engages supporting muscles and joints too. Plus, if you fear bulking up, the trx is good because its body weight only. Seals use it.

Just my thoughts.

I agree training and even just stretching can reduce injuries but not a substitute for safety gear.
I would say Christopher Reeves was in pretty good shape, and we all know his story.
If he had a helmet and neck brace on for that accident I would say he would have sustained less if not MINOR injury. Purely speculation though.
I personally believe, that incident, is one of the type of accidents neck braces are trying to reduce injuries from.

I`ve purchased the AlpineStars Bionic SB protector and the Bionic Armored Jacket combo.
It is CE approved much like helmets and other protective gear.EXPLICITY stated IT WILL NOT PREVENT ALL INJURIES,however can/may lessen/reduce the severity of the injury.IT WILL NOT PREVENT ALL INJURIES.Hell,people still bust their ankles/feet wearing the latest and greatest MX boots and they`ve been around alot longer than neck braces.
The owners manual that comes with the AStars goes into much detail describing fitment and function.Very informative.
http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_Neck_Support__SB_Special_Blend/pd/c/170/np/170/p/650010.html
Call or e-mail AStars,Leatte or the protective gear Co. of you choice.I`m sure they can help you decide to wear one or not.

I`ve purchased the AlpineStars Bionic SB protector and the Bionic Armored Jacket combo.
It is CE approved much like helmets and other protective gear.EXPLICITY stated IT WILL NOT PREVENT ALL INJURIES,however can/may lessen/reduce the severity of the injury.IT WILL NOT PREVENT ALL INJURIES.Hell,people still bust their ankles/feet wearing the latest and greatest MX boots and they`ve been around alot longer than neck braces.
The owners manual that comes with the AStars goes into much detail describing fitment and function.Very informative.
http://www.alpinestars.com/Bionic_Neck_Support__SB_Special_Blend/pd/c/170/np/170/p/650010.html
Call or e-mail AStars,Leatte or the protective gear Co. of you choice.I`m sure they can help you decide to wear one or not.
we know it cant prevent all injuries but what if they are CAUSING injuries is the big question.

The boots aren't digging into your ankles and snapping them...nor are helmets taking impact from one area and concentrating the bludger to another part of your skull...

reeves was a pile drive type injury right ? If leatt is like pile driving you everytime then everytime you wreck it would be like reeves...that's only if the thing pile drives you into the ground.

@ban of course the company will tell you that you need to wear their specific brand..."for superior protection."

Currently, Leatt, Alpinestars and EVS Sports are offering their unique takes on neck protection.

Enter Omega. The Omega neck brace was designed by one of the most respected men in the motorcycle industry—Remo Berlese. The name may not sound familiar to you, but Remo is no Johnny-come-lately to the protection game. He has designed and built everything from boots to helmets to chest protectors to gloves to elbow guards to pants. Now, he has designed a neck brace that he feels addresses the arguments in a unique manner.

WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Omega neck brace.

(1) The Baby Bear solution. After analyzing all the available neck braces, Remo understood why there was so much controversy about them. He also understood that the industry couldn’t stand around with its hands in its pockets while people were being injured. His analysis followed the same path as the pit racing argument. Remo didn’t think that neck roll-type devices offered much in the way of total protection, but felt that they could lessen the effects of whiplash and muscle strain-type accidents. But while admiring the commitment of Leatt’s “alternate load path” approach to neck protection, he felt that it was overkill. He thought that a rigid structure that sat on both your spinal column and breast bone was too restrictive for racing. So, Remo’s approach was to bridge the gap between the neck roll and the alternate-load-path designs. The Omega has many features of absorbtion-type protection, while also having the wing structure of an alternate-load-path neck brace.

(2) Safety.

While no product can guarantee that you won’t be injured, neck braces are working at the extremes of trauma. Unlike the Leatt or Alpinestars, which are rigid designs, the Omega has flexible wings that try to absorb energy before directing the load onto the rider’s body. The Omega uses a semi-rigid structure that has a passing resemblance to the Leatt and Alpinestars braces, but doesn’t share their gusto for Brooklyn Bridge construction. Where the wings on the Leatt and Alpinestars are fixed in place, the Omega wing is more of a leaf spring design. When a load is placed on it, it gives. Then, when it reaches a predetermined point, it transfers the load to the rider’s body.

(3) Open design.

Where the Omega takes its biggest departure from Leatt and Alpinestars is in the front of the protector. Most noticeable is that the front of the Omega is open so that the rider’s head can rotate forward. The Omega’s wings will eventually catch the edges of the rider’s helmet to slow down forward motion, but nothing to the extent of the Leatt or Alpinestars models. Additionally, the body portion of the Omega brace is also open in the front and back. The brace itself does not make contact with the breast bone or spinal column—instead it transfers energy to the large pectoral and trapezoid muscles. In this way, Omega thinks that they lessen any brace-related collarbone or spine injuries.

(4) Construction.

The Omega uses a medium-density plastic housing with an adjustable neck collar. The whole structure is amazingly light and airy. Height adjustment is achieved with straps that form a suspension bridge over the rider’s shoulders. The shorter the straps, the higher the brace sits—and vice versa. It is a simple system and plays into the Omega’s desire to absorb more energy.

(5) Mounting.

The Omega must be worn with the supplied straps (they are part of the protection system). It can fit underneath a chest protector with a little modification (although it was designed to fit perfectly with the Zero7 chest
protector).

WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? Our prototype Omega brace will still undergo a few modifications (including an elastomer-style bumper system under the leaf spring wings to offer the rider more control over flex), but overall it is well thought out. As with all open-front neck devices, we worry that this will allow the head to flex forward virtually unimpeded.

This is a neck brace for people who believe in the value of neck protection but don’t want the bulk and restriction of a pure, alternate-load-path neck brace. It should be noted that protection comes at different levels and with different price tags. The Omega is a brace for people who have resisted neck braces because they are bulky, hot and cumbersome. If that is what it takes for you to wear more protective gear, we are all for it.

Back