Pre-entries are posted for Action Sports National

Same story here, wasn't expecting anything except plain old fun but did get listed in the results, and got podium recognition for a third place and a plaque. Very cool, and very exciting for me and the wife for my first AHRMA event.

I had talked to Fred Guidi a while back and he said that they figure the number of trophies they award on the number of pre-entries before the race . Post entered racers can win trophies and they are scored poimts and listed in the results . Race order is also figured on pre-entries so if you post enter and all your motos are back to back they won't change them . If you post enter and both your classes are in the same moto , say 1 class on the first gate and the other class on the second gate , you will get scored for both classes but you must start on the second gate .

The MX track got lots of rain friday night and perhaps a bit more late saturday afternoon. It fell straight down with lots of thunder and lightning on friday, but NO wind to speak of either day. So, no mangled canopies!

It was initially layed out in the promoter's back yard, all 40 or more acres of it, as a practice track for his teenage sons. We used the same course for each day, and it suited just fine.

Beautiful, deep green turf fescue cut to a uniform 5 inches was our pit area. No mud, no dirt, no gravel...nice.

The track followed the undulating natural terrain and took a couple of short detours into and back out of the woods. The soil, even during practice was first rate and only got better throughout each day. There was darn little mud anywhere and absolutely no dust. It was rich chocolate brown loamy stuff and I swear, I never saw a single pebble, much less some of those softball sized rocks encountered elsewhere.

The layout was perhaps 20-28 feet wide in most places with lots of room to run off course without fearing some sort of injurious obstacle. There were a few simple but decent jumps and one fast downhill dropaway. A single tabletop jump was situated at the approach to the checkered flag, but because there was an immediate hard right turn on the backside of it, few guys trusted their vintage brakes enough to clear it. Post-vintage riders for the most part had no problem.

Really, I don't think I've ridden a safer track and it was visually appealing to me. That ribbon of dirt cutting it's way up an over and around that pasture (which could have made a perfectly suitable par 5 layout on any golf course) put me in the mind of some of the picturesque European tracks that I have only seen in pictures. There were no unsightly discarded rubber car tires, rusty drums, rotten fence posts or last weeks trash to litter the scene.

A great catered meal was provided on Friday and Saturday as well for those that wanted to partake. I think the Friday meal was intended for the CC guys only, but they had plenty and encouraged the rest of us to join in. For those of you that have seen me, you know I'm not the sort to decline the offer.

The event went off as far as I know without a hitch. No time was wasted at the "riders meeting" or between motos. The intermission was a reasonable 15-30 minutes or so. After packing up and doing a little last minute visiting I left today (Sunday) by 1415hrs.

Once again, AHRMA through a generous track promoter, has provided those that attended with a first class opportunity for some great racing. I heard that there were as many as 38 post-entries today. I don't know the final tally. I only wish that circumstances for everybody could improve so as to increase that number threefold at some of the remaining events.

Intentionally, I have omitted my personal results. Suffice it to say, that broken header pipes can just fall off and deep corner ruts can derail chains on vintage CZ's. Further, the entering of three separate and nearly back to back expert PVMX classes is for the foolhardy, not the old and fat.

Intentionally, I have omitted my personal results. Suffice it to say, that broken header pipes can just fall off and deep corner ruts can derail chains on vintage CZ's. Further, the entering of three separate and nearly back to back expert PVMX classes is for the foolhardy, not the old and fat.

Good to meet you today. Results, foolhardy, old and fat? You looked great out there!

Karl pretty much said it all on the track-Drew put on an awesome race-I hope we go there again
RACE REPORT
I jumped in the wrong race in moto 1 finished 3 with no brakes what so ever. Karl stopped by to inform me you just rode the wrong race Dumb Ass and you’re in moto3. I was running in 3rd behind Jay Gref in the correct moto when going down the back straight my newly rebuilt 81 CR250 started to over rev, I ended up pulling off. I found out later the tab that keeps your carb slide from rotating broke off (when is the last time you heard of that happening) I think I could have done pretty well on that 81.
Pre-modern I got my ass handed to me by some fast guy on a 87 YZ250, had I been on a 250 I think I could have at least run with him but on the big bore I just couldn’t run the corners as fast as him. Man that 86 CR500 has some awesome suspension!

Sat I raced my first ever vintage motocross race and had a great time the track was perfect the promoter made the wise desicion to cut the intermission short because of the threat of rain and sure enough five minutes after the last moto ended the rain started. I will be back again.

I believe majorKap painted a real good picture of it. Not having another AHRMA event experience to compare to, it was everything I had hoped.....and then some. Action Sports and AHRMA put on a top notch weekend.

Without exception it was the funnest track I have ridden and raced, both the CC and MX.

Drove home friday afternoon, returned sunday morning and it just did not give us enough time to watch others race, cruise the pits looking at the other bikes and just not enough time to really gab with all of the folks we met and those we know like we wanted. The weekend went by too fast.

The racing was great, and having the second set of motos cut back to 4 laps was a disappointment. I only had one mishap, rear wheel whipped out on off camber high speed section with a left hand rising turn, I went down and took out a plastic corner barrell. Didn't feel any injuries, but had a swollen left knee when I got home. Tender today. The KDX and the YZ250 ran pretty decent considering the little work I've done to them.

LOVED IT!!!

I agree with others who dug the track and had a good time at the event...it was awesome!

Big kudos to Drew Wolfe for doing a fantastic job with prepping the track to PERFECTION and then managing to keep it that way after Saturday evening's rain. It looked like rain was going to hit for the second set of motos on Sunday as the sky became dark and a chilled wind made me think there was no doubt that it was it was going to come down...thankfully it never did! As others have mentioned the track was ultra-wide, mega-loamy and totally free of rocks (someone jokingly mentioned that they saw one rock and someone needed to get out there and pick it up). Would have been nice to see more vintage riders from Ohio as the turnout was light(as a lot of the events have been lately,whether it be modern OR old bike events), but during the riders meeting Drew said he wanted to give it another try next year as he's into the old bike scene himself and enjoys holding this kind of event. I rode 50+ int and it was one of the larger classes with 8 riders.

By combining classes and having staggered starts the racing was done by about 1:30 and Drew then opened the track for open practice to modern and old bikes.

Drew has a gate but I heard he's wanting to get it set up right by planting it in some concrete so he hadn't gotten around to that yet. Though I HATE the hand on your helmet start at Mid-Ohio, I had no issue whatsoever with the flag start this weekend. All the starts I saw were fair and took off the line well. I really hope Mid Ohio gets some kind of gate or rubber band start but if they blow it AGAIN this year, they REALLY need to just use a flag for the start and forget about the "hand on your helmet" crap. From what I've seen the "hand on the helmet" thing just opens the door for riders to cheat by putting there hand on the bar early (which is hard for an official to catch) and then they've got the jump on others when the flag does drop. In my opinion, a person's reaction time on a start should be based upon throttle and clutch not what kind of technique is used to get their hand from their helmet to the bars. After seeing how well Drew ran things this weekend, Mid-ohio needs to hire him to run the vintage days mx races!

Oh, nice write up Karl !

As for riding three classes...where two were back to back, I wouldn't even consider trying that.

If that derailing chain and broken pipe on your CZ are giving you second thoughts about keeping that bike...you let me know :)

A new stainless header pipe and a billet aluminum chain guide is being overnighted to me as I type this, Mark. You'll have to wait a while longer.

I did have one other mishap I forgot till today after reading evo244's post.

Throughout the CC race Friday I kept short jumping the table top before the finish line. Was tempted to give it a go but was more concerned about making sure my KDX stayed in one piece so I could go the distance.

Sunday morning, out on the 2nd or 3rd lap of early practice I decided it was time. I made my way around the track and as I approached the jump face I noticed the rider just slightly forward and to the left of me was going for it also. I had a pretty good idea from Friday how much speed to carry but I paced myself with the other bike. If you guys recall that table has a pretty tall and steep jump face, but it's a short table.

A handful of onlookers were given some early morning entertainment as Scott and I took to the friendly skies and both over jumped that damn thing by about 10ft. Fell out of the sky and flat landed big time. I wasn't really sure how my YZ was gonna handle it but it did absorb it pretty well. We both completely missed the turn and into the grass. Jarred my teeth.

My son said it was quite a sight!

Holly Crap how did I forget to mention that, as I was in the sky I was thinking Man this one gun-na hurt. Lesson to NQ1965 never follow evomx244 he's a dumb-ass and has no clue. BTW I over jumped it the next lap but not quite as bad!

Diamond Don uses a rubber band.
It brought back all the memories of back in the day,
Guys creeping up on it etc....
I was watching one race from the left sideline and a guy in the middle jumped the gate and caught the rubber.
It smacked everybody until it got to the end and it wrapped around that poor guys neck while he was taking off!
Truly a 3 stooges moment!

Holly Crap how did I forget to mention that, as I was in the sky I was thinking Man this one gun-na hurt. Lesson to NQ1965 never follow evomx244 he's a dumb-ass and has no clue. BTW I over jump it the next lap but not quite as bad!

That first start of yours caused me to lay back on the starts for the entire day! Could there be video???

If your speaking of the start of the first moto we have it on video. I was on the line first moto as well.
I'll have to plug it in tonight and review. What happened?

What happened?

evomx took the inside line up through the grass and then either got sideways on his own as he was getting to the first corner or maybe someone bumped him...there was some heavy tank slapping going on after getting sideways. It was a nice save!

Yep, I saw that happen. And when I did, I wondered to myself, "What the heck is he doing in that race anyway? He doesn't belong there!"

Later, he tried to blame the 1st turn incident on "faulty brakes" or some such nonsense. Geez.

No Brakes ! None-Zip-Zero ! I can't believe I didn't take out most of the field, I'm sorry to all that was in that race! First race on that 81, I knew the front brake sucked (brand new shoes, Nos cable, ect..) but I had that happen on a 80 RM 125 and within a few laps of practice the brake came in. I was hoping that would happen with this bike but it didn't. NQ1965 can we work out a deal not to release the footage:) Again I Apologize to all I almost killed

Back