Mid-ohio itch.

Foot is a mess. I am out. Am going down on the CC day though to delivery my championship IT200 to the buyer. Looks like I am closing in on the 2011 YZ450 deal. Using the IT proceeds to make it happen.

Foot is a mess. I am out. Am going down on the CC day though to delivery my championship IT200 to the buyer. Looks like I am closing in on the 2011 YZ450 deal. Using the IT proceeds to make it happen.

Someone "needed" your IT more that I did... Actually I rediscovered at the Action Sports AHRMA race that my little YZ is a blast in the woods. Like when I rode HS on it back in the 80's.

What was last year's HS course like? I have a bike for each of the three HS sessions. Is it worth going?

Last years HS course was a 1 lined toboggan run of 6 inch deep rut that you followed like a rail around almost the entire course in the pouring rain. Would have been plenty of fun in dry conditions, but in the pouring rain......... it sucked! But that was weather related. 2 days later, Zman and I were in the same woods running the Trials event and had a blast on Trials bikes we had never ridden before........... so plenty of fun can be had in those woods.

Too bad Zman's foot is a mess, we were lining up a rematch in the trials event this year prior to his injury which took him out of Loretta Lynn's contention and old bike contention. The only good news is that he's lining up more "modern bike" stuff like a factory suspended 2011 YZ 450 for late summer Red Bud Vet Fest and Hi Point Vet National races and possibly the woods riding up in Michigan........

Too bad the glory days of 1,000 mx riders from a few year back is gone. AMA & AHRMA should slap themselves
for that one as politics and racing don’t mix.

Seems like this event is going from a huge mx race to more of a party setting the past few years but it did
sound like everyone had a good time last year.

What is the scoop on entry fees...Do they charge you for both racer entry plus normal gate fees?

Unfortunately my back is like the Cleveland area weather & going back to the doctor again on Thursday.
I have not tried to race for a year now but this one is close so may post enter and put-put around.

Would take the kid but her AMA is expired & not worth over spending a 100 buck for one race on half a track.

Change of rules this year for the AMA Vintage days at Mid Ohio........ You have to buy a Entry pass for the event separate from buying your race event sign up. More cost to the rider as it used have racer and a mechanic covered with your race entry. No longer, you have to pay Mid Ohio one fee to get in, and another fee to the AMA to race.

and you can not get in on thursday unless you are a season pass holder,friday morning will be a zoo
smitty

This is a disappointing fact. More so that a lot of good vintage racers pass on the event.
At the Action Sports AHRMA race my first class had a total of two entries. Tom from Akron, and myself.

I would much rather come in 20th place in a class of 25 or 30 racers than to get a first place in a class of two. Eight or nine in a class is OK, but I know I would enjoy it a whole lot more with a full gate in same class.

I just called mid ohio and they said that if you are a vendor or a racer that you are allowed to camp Thursday eve. She said that the registraition closes at 7:00 but they do not have gates locked so I do not know what would stop you from getting there later.

Change of rules this year for the AMA Vintage days at Mid Ohio........ You have to buy a Entry pass for the event separate from buying your race event sign up. More cost to the rider as it used have racer and a mechanic covered with your race entry. No longer, you have to pay Mid Ohio one fee to get in, and another fee to the AMA to race.

I normally refrain from complaining as nobody cares to hear it, particularly me. I spent last night and tonight trying to cover all bases on entries and such. Can't help but feeling like your getting taken for a ride on this.

As earlier stated you must purchase weekend General admission tickets separately from Mid-Ohio. If you buy early you get a price break, $35 vs $45. So I did that. Here's the rub: When completing the online purchase, they ding you $8.99 shipping/handling. WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT CRAP!!!!!!!!! ARE THEY SENDING THE TICKETS SPECIAL FREIGHT IN A BOX? IF YOUR ONLY BUYING 1 TICKET, YOU SAVE $1. Yipeeeeeee.

Then, for pre-entry with AMA for mx racing class's there is no price break on 2 or more class's. Pre-entry is flat rate $40/class.

I recall another Pitracer member making the comment before, when you race at Vintage Days, "we are the attraction". We are part of what the spectator crowd come to see.

With an open mind, I do appreciate the event. I look forward to Vintage Days each year now. I will pay the asking price. But you just never feel good when it's costing you this much, and it gets harder and harder to justify it in your own mind. In this economy you have to be a little frugal and conservative if not a lot and you just know when your blowing money foolishly. Maybe next year I'll just go and watch.

enough said.
NQ1965

I was planning to reply to this tonight before the post by NQ above. So I will start this by saying that I agree, 8.99 for shipping/handling is crap.

What I originally was going to say, was that I think in retrospect the last several years we have had it TOO GOOD at VMD price-wise, so now the prices seem way higher. It used to be that if you entered one single race event you would get TWO passes for the entire weekend. This actually made it cheaper to sign up as a racer and get two passes than to just come in the gate with two people. Let's be honest here -- they were getting hosed on that deal. And I understand the whole arguement about "we are the attraction" etc, but I don't buy that. Nobody is showing up there and getting excited to see me race.

So, now they have done away with that and it seems super expensive now. Really it's just inline for any other championship event. This is the AMA Vintage Grand Championships and you earn AMA #1 National Champion plates if you win your class. I don't consider the pricing out of line. In this economy with such rising fuel and insurance costs, I have no problem paying my way to keep a good event going.

I have spent so much money racing the LL races and travelling the last several weeks that I was thinking there is no way I can go this year. Now I'm thinking of just running down on Sunday --- $80 for 2 classes and chances to win #1 plates? Sounds fine to me.

I'm a little better now that I got some sleep and a cup of hot cocoa.

On the tickets S/H charge, they are sending them Fedex. Ok, I can accept that. And we are saving a little money since I ordered tickets for Nancy and myself.

On the AMA class pricing, they did away with multiple class price break, but I am actually getting my 3 class entries, same as last year, $10 cheaper. I'm Ok there now.

On the #1 AMA Vintage Grand National Championship and the award, this would make a little more sense if the AMA actually held more than one vintage race. In Motocross or Supercross you win the championship after a race series. Seems to me that they are trying to outshine AHRMA with this.

I'm a newbie to vintage racing so I have already flapped my mouth more than I should. And again, I'm paying the asking price because I do want to be there, I want to race, and look forward to it. And as you put it, if this is what it takes to keep the event going forward, so be it.

Heck, just getting a chance to race agains't and meet the Ohio and Pitracer vets makes it worth it to me.

On the #1 AMA Vintage Grand National Championship and the award, this would make a little more sense if the AMA actually held more than one vintage race. In Motocross or Supercross you win the championship after a race series. Seems to me that they are trying to outshine AHRMA with this.

I agree, but also there are plenty of other prestigious Championships determined by one event. You can also go the opposite opinion and say that because an AHRMA title is a series around the country it all comes down to who can afford to travel the states and "buy" the title.

Some of the most highly coveted championships in the world are one racing event.

My point is -- the event is what we make of it. If this race would grow to the point we were running full gates it would be a heck of an event. Since it's only one race with a really cool all-vintage event as the backdrop for the weekend I don't see why this isn't possible.

Pending results of a Dr appt today I may be back in for racing Sunday. Can't take a day off that Friday for CC so I will be Sunday MX only.

If I didn't have a bike to ride in the vintage or pv races I'd of course still be there all weekend. Being so close to home, I really can't pass up the opportunity to ride one of my old bikes.

That being said, I still find it very hard to swallow the AMA calling this one mx race a "national championship". I'd find that moniker easier to accept if the race was ran on a track that the AMA made some attempt to make worthy of the title it's run under. As it is, it's hard to find anything positive to say about the track... totally flat with nothing resembling a jump and of course the ultra-lame hand on your helmet starts. I can think of a number of fast riders who refuse to attend the mx races due to these track issues.

I'm certain riders have voiced their opinion to the AMA about the start method but nothing gets done year after year. As recently as last week I sent an email to the AMA asking that a simple flag start be used if they still don't have a gate or rubber band for the mx race. In my opinion, a flag start (with hands on the bars) is a more consistent and fair starting method as riders won't be able to cheat by getting their hands on the bars before everyone else (which is more difficult for officials to see). With a flag start, when it drops everyone takes off and it's much easier to spot anyone jumping the flag. Thus far, no response from the AMA.

Pit, as for the event growing...unless the AMA gives some much needed attention to the track, it seems inevitable that rider sign ups will dwindle year after year. I don't see it growing unless riders see the AMA putting more effort into running the event.

The higher fees I can accept but it's like salt in the wound if this year's track / starting method is the same as the last few years.

In reading the mailings from Tamra w/ama on Vintage Days, they refer to it as a "period inspired track".

Back