Mid-ohio itch.

With my current shoulder injury I don't think I am capable of putting my left hand on my helmet.

The TRACK SUCKS it's as simple as that, I don't care who puts it on. It might be at best passable for vintage bikes 1974 and under but PV bikes it's a joke. I don't ever recall racing in a flat field in the 80's. It could be a great event again if they would let somebody (maybe Drew) build a track but AMA doesn't really care about the motocross to them it's a side show !

The few years that Mid Ohio actually had a track people complained about the jumps. Now that there is no track again people complain that there are no jumps. When there was a track the dust was so horrible it was basically unridable. As strange as it sounds I had an absolute blast racing that lame grass track the last couple years. The only thing I HATE is the start procedure.

In the big picture I agree, again I'm skewed because it's so close to home for me......but a lot of the people that won't race the event I see there walking around anyway. If you are going to come all the way there to walk around, you might as well race the event.

Regarding jumps vs no jumps and complaining either way...that's because it went from one extreme to the other. At one point the track used jumps that were intended for modern bikes and correct me if I'm wrong but I think some of those modern bike jumps were even being run in the opposite direction than originally intended. It's really not that hard to come up with a decent compromise that can be used by vintage and pv bikes.

The gripes that riders have about the track could easily be fixed, yet the AMA apparently doesnt care to put any effort whatsoever into making it better. I've heard the AMA pulls one of the Bigelow brothers into things as someone to do something for the MX track...not sure what they expect of that person or whether they pay them for whatever it is they do. I've wondered too if they pay the expenses for the folks like Tom White or other VIPs to show up at the mx event? If so, spend that money on the track instead!

I think they had a track for 3 years. The first year was awesome, then the next year was stupid with backwards jumps and dust. Then the next was even worse with such blinding dust you could not see 5 feet.

Yep, my first post vintage race at mid-ohio was the "blinding dust" year. I think every year since, mother nature has smiled upon post vintage Sunday by sending down gobs'o rain on vintage Saturday.

If I remember correctly 2005 was beginning of a track in the parking lot/field with a few jumps. That race was a mud fest. From 2006 thru 2008 the MX track was in place but track conditions were pretty much weather dependent. And track conditions went from good to bad as the weather became more dry with each progressing year.

2007 with a big, split 50+ class.

P7287956.jpg

The good, old days?

Pause for a second here. (time for a time out you guys, hahahaha).

We have a bunch of riders that will be there to race.
We have even more riders that used to come and race but not now. (and angry about it!)
We probably have a bunch setting on the fence.
We clearly have some spectators that enjoy just watching Pit and the boys all race, from their lawn chair.

It's probably time for a "Class Action Discussion" with the AMA and Mid-Ohio about the future of motocross at Vintage Days.

If there were changes.............How many would come back? And how much would it help it grow from one year to the next?

Vintage Days is a very cool event and weekend. We need to make ourselves heard as a group and get their attention on this.

We have a large rider base and need to heartily support any vintage motocross and CC events that we can get in Ohio.

Am I off base on this?

2010VMD2.jpgI thought the grass track was a blast last year. Almost as good as the Mosher compound. We will be there again. Jack will be on a 250 this year. By the way...I love the hand on helmet start as I did well when I wasnt on the ground...

2006 my first year the track was a blast (no dust) 2007 was awesome because of the legends race (track ran backwards not too bad, actually I liked it) 2008 Dusty but I liked the track and still better than a flat field. I'm not angry (I don't think) about Mid-Ohio, I just wish they put some effort into it. Nobody likes this vintage stuff more than me but at some point I have to say is it worth the money to race on a flat course?
I'm one of those guys walking around the pits but to me half the fun of vintage bikes is looking and talking to other vintage guys.

On the lighter side ,who's rig is this ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-Honda-CR-125-/180688351304?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item2a11dd7048

By the way...I love the hand on helmet start as I did well when I wasnt on the ground...

Please don't encourage anyone at the AMA by telling them you love their lame hand on the helmet thing...if they ever respond to my emails, I'd imagine they'd take your comment and run it with by saying "oh c'mon everyone loves putting their hand on their helmet".

Hey, are most you guys here doing 40+ ?

Other than KO and myself, is anyone here doing 50+ intermed (I think KO is doing 50+)?

If I go, I'll likely stay in the woods. After riding GP's for years, motos seem to end about the time I'm ready to go.

That 83 CR125 is Zman's buddy, Eddie's bike. Eddie also took a promotion at work and is in the same boat as zman, no time on the weekends now to ride. Plus he started with that 125 but it was too small for his large frame to race a lot on and he switched to a zman backed 83 YZ250. Once the YZ was running right, he never rode the CR again........ Zman rebuilt the CR motor for Eddie.

2008 and 2009 I took a lot of pic's at the event. (didn't have vintage/PV Motocross bikes then).
It was actually enjoyable and easy taking photos because the track had a lot of diversity and variations to its layout. Then after dozing everything down and removed the gate, picture taking got boring and hard to get something I would hang on my wall.

They wouldn't have to do much to accommodate the wish's of many and to satisfy the blend of grass track, period authenticity as well as evolution requirements.

I'm in 40+ Mooch. (CC and MX).

While it is great to have an event so close to home it almost seems like everyone is driving nails into the
Vintage Racing the past few years.

DO I HAVE THIS CORRECT????

One day gate $30 plus $50 post enter = $80 for one class (bet the gates are very thin)

Decide Friday night last minute to go for the weekend:
Gate $45, Motor Home $65 (do they peg campers & trailers also?) + $50 post enter = $160

In the past tracks such as OIR, Log Road, Red Bud to name a few & with National style preparation would
be worth the above pricing but for an old parking lot?

For a Grand National Championship they should at least have 2 West, 2 Mid & 2 East races with Mid-Ohio
being the final as what they do now in my opinion is pretty lame.

I am a AMA life member & after 33 years the only thing I get from them is an occasional request for donation.
No literature, flyers or anything. WTF????

Not knocking anyone for their hard efforts but this event is going to be (or already is) a party with no racers
before we know it.

2008 was 1,000 mx racers over 2 days. Think 2011 will break 200?

Back