Mid-ohio itch.

I'm In !

AMA Racing adds classes, enhances motocross track for AMA Racing Vintage Grand Championships

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- AMA Racing, the amateur racing department of the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA), is bringing a number of enhancements to the motocross track for the AMA Racing Vintage Grand Championships during AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days featuring Kawasaki, Marque of the Year, this July 22-24 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio.
AMA Racing is working with Bart Newman and Jeff Beerbower, the owners of Log Road MX Park in Coldwater, Mich., to design, build and maintain the track during the event. Bromley said that Newman and Beerbower are experienced track builders and understand both the science and art of creating a thrilling motocross course for bikes of all eras.

"Although the design isn't finalized, man-made obstacles will include off-cambers, berms, jumps, rollers and other enhancements that will leverage the natural terrain of the motocross area at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course," Bromley said. "We'll also have a modified starting procedure that will keep things fair while still allowing for a quickly moving program for multiple class starts."

"The AMA Racing Vintage Grand Championships attracts bikes from the 1950s to the beginning of the modern era, and everything in between," said AMA Director of Racing Joe Bromley. "Our track needs to challenge the new bikes while staying historically authentic. Improvements planned for 2011 will strike the right balance so that everyone will have a demanding track to race on."

Bromley added that one factor driving the changes to the motocross track is the addition of non-current classes to the program. The 122cc-Open class will allow bikes sold as pre-1997 models. It will have A and B/C divisions.

"Time marches on, and the non-current classes are our way of opening the doors of the AMA Vintage Grand Championships to bikes that may not be competitive with current technology but are advanced beyond the traditional vintage category," Bromley said. "We don't want any bike left sitting in a garage or shed unused somewhere just because there's nowhere to race it. We encourage riders to come out and support these non-current classes and battle for the podium."

In addition to Saturday's vintage motocross program, riders in Friday's hare scrambles race will also compete on the new track as part of their off-road loop through the woods course. For Sunday's post-vintage and non-current classes, the obstacles will be made even more challenging for the newer bikes.

All entry proceeds from the AMA Racing Vintage Grand Championships are donated to the Motorcycle Hall of Fame, which is dedicated to promoting and preserving the heritage of motorcycle competition and the motorcycling lifestyle. The Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum is located on the AMA campus in Pickerington, Ohio.

Both online entry and downloadable PDF entry forms, along with complete rules and classes, are available at AMAVintageMotorcycleDays.com > Race Your Vintage Bike. The direct link is http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/events/AMAVintageMotorcycleDays/VintageRacing.aspx.

In addition to class entry, competitors must also purchase a ticket to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days for access to the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course facility. Tickets to AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days can be purchased online at MidOhio.com.

About the American Motorcyclist Association
Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling rights organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations, and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. AMA members receive money-saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. Through its support of the Motorcycle Hall of Fame, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations. For more information, please visit AmericanMotorcyclist.com.

NOPE! Too late EVO! You already said you were OUT and it SUCKED!

The AMA guys watch this forum -- you are on the blacklist! haha

Said I'm out for racing in a flat field-maybe they do look at this post. Maybe we had a small part in changing the course. Beerbower will do a good job for us !

Maybe they've been listening to Mooch as well.

"We'll also have a modified starting procedure that will keep things fair while still allowing for a quickly moving program for multiple class starts."

Yes -- they check this forum and I'm sure they have been very aware of the criticism of the event.

I'm excited!

Should I dust off the shopping cart?
Adding Bart Newman and Jeff Beerbower to the program makes a huge impact on me...

'91 RM125 frame is at sandblaster this week getting blasted and primed. I might have to do a Zman record restoration and get it ready for Mid Ohio non-current class.

I have a '93 and a '96 but the '96 needs some serious work.

Does anyone know how they are handling camping in the off-road pits with a toy hauler trailer for example? I only see designated tent camping and motorhome camping areas on the Mid Ohio ticket info page.

Should I dust off the shopping cart?

You still HAVE that Shopping cart???? And does it still need a rear Hub???? Do you want an OLD Husky to work on special project too???? Stop the machines, we've got to make a plate for a 1983 Husky Ignition cover!!!!

You still HAVE that Shopping cart???? And does it still need a rear Hub???? Do you want an OLD Husky to work on special project too???? Stop the machines, we've got to make a plate for a 1983 Husky Ignition cover!!!!
Yup, I still have the shopping cart....<O:p</O:p
I rebuilt the rear wheel last year when Pit was nice enough to send a newer rear hub my way.<O:p</O:p
Its ready to shimmy, shake and caster ...<O:p</O:p
I would need to get a rear tire for the 18” rim because I threw an old dry-rotted 1979 Cheng-Shin on it last year in an effort to get ready for OIR’s Vintage race.<O:p</O:p

I would need to get a rear tire for the 18” rim because I threw an old dry-rotted 1979 Cheng-Shin on it last year in an effort to get ready for OIR’s Vintage race.

Bridgestone makes the 404 in a 110/100x18, I have a brand-new one ready!

We are going down for the weekend, first time there! We wont be racing, just hanging out. Are you allowed to pit ride aroung the grounds? I saw golf carts are allowed for a fee, and I was wondering about bikes. We have a sweet 1980 yz50 that we were gonna bring but wont even bother with the trailer if we cant ride it.

They will say that you can't....but then when you get there you will see people riding around on everything imaginable.

they say you can only ride a street legal motorcycle. but on vintage weekend you see people riding anything. I just went to supercycle weekend and mid-ohio seemed to be more lenient than previous years.
as I saw people riding all kinds of dirtbikes and pitbikes.

Back