Apple Cabin Jump Skippers?

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
Ok, I can't take it anymore --- why are so many riders skipping that one jump section by the parking lot at Apple Cabin?

It's one thing if you are a novice and not comfortable and pull over and slowly go around....that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about A riders, fast guys, kids all shifting up and PINNING it AROUND the jumps. WTF?

I'm a fat, out of shape, 41 year old vet rider on a 125 and I hit them every lap, they are sweet. Yet while I am going through the cool double-double-double rhythym section, I'm getting passed 2 or 3 at a time by others blitzing around them at 70mph. And worst of all is they don't look and just cut right back into the track at full speed.

My favorite is the people that skip the jumps, then over the next little hill and table they do a big scrub and then a big whip. Wow -- you sure jump cool....why skip the other jumps?

We were joking at the end of the night that Frank was going to put in a toll booth for all the skippers and accept EZ-Pass. Next week I'm posting someone with a camera there and we are going to have a "Hall of Shame" photo gallery. I won't name names tonight....

So, you know who you are --- why skip the jumps?

Not only are there "jump skippers" at Apple Cabin, there are Parking Lot hit and run skippers too! I parked at AC about 1 row away from the concession stand and 1 car length in........ and during my last moto......... someone pulling out in a Pickup with a bike in it and Open Trailer with 3 bikes in it (one KTM) hits the corner of my freshly painted Sprinter Van (the paint job is 1 day old and I just picked it up on Tuesday night). They didn't stop, didn't leave a note, didn't do anything except scare my 7 year old who was inside changing out of his gear and he jumped out the back to see the truck pull away. Of course it's 9 feet tall and the biggest van on the planet.......... so It's easy to hit.

If you hit the van when leaving, we'll be looking for you next week and week's to come as my son knows what your truck / trailer looks like. What a bummer on a freshly painted rig!

Rocket, is that not the way it goes. Every time you get something nice **** happens to it! Hopefully someone steps up and says something. I want to check out the new travel lodge at RedBud, sounds like a nice deal.

Pit, your holding those jump skippers up, so they are blitzing by you to get around.....LOL. Or they are tired of eating the roost off that 125.

I hate the jump skippers too ! The worst is when you come up on them on the track and politely wait to pass a slower rider without stuffing them because of course they are weaving all over the track half out of control. You finally get by them and WHAM they pass you back by skipping a jump section ! **** me !!! Go to the mini track if you arent going to jump !

Rocket.....I feel your pain ! All I can say to you is ......Karma....... and if you dont believe in that , or want to, brake fluid looks like water and will take the paint right off their truck if you dont get satisfaction ! LOL ... I'm not promoting anything here !

And i'm sure it turns up a huge Ploom of white dust too.....

People been avoiding the big double int he middle at dirtworld lately and it just causes an arseload of dust to be thrown up. I'm sick of smoke screens people. Hold your stupid line and go over the jump. You don't get jumped on holding your line. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Thats my biggest pet peeve. Just cutting the track in general. And dont think i dont notice it either. I wish I could line the track with the invisible fence stuff, but it would work on riders.

They should close off the skipping section, so you have to go through the rhythm section either way - either in the air or rolling. I saw more people not jumping it than jumping it. Some people might have thought the section was an "option"?

I gues I'll throw in my thougts, what is up with the 125s and up bikes on the middle track or even the faster 80's. I thought it was a pitbike,65cc and faster 50's track. My kid is bored with the beginner track and for the safety of the little ones needs to ride the middle track, but Im tired of watching him get cleaned out by teenagers on 80's and 125s, my kid has been racing since he was 4 so for three years experience he can and will hold his line, but when some @## goes to his inside and drifts into him on a 125 out of control because he's " rippin " the middle track it gets rediculous sack up and ride the big track. I havent rode a track since 08 and if I get a bike your not going to catch me on the middle track. If your riding a 125 and up machine on the middle track your a P$$$y.

Wow 240 views now and no skipper is fessing up as to why they are doing it? Everybody is watching you! It's right next to the main spectating area! Seriously there must be a good reason and I'm curious to find out.

Sorry to hear George that this contagious disease has spread to Dirtworld also. Do the riders skipping the center double at DW go and do a big whip over the next jump? haha

The jump skipping was so bad at AC that later in the night I questioned a few riders about it, and since they had arrived late they actually thought the track was routed around the jumps. If you just stood there and looked at the track, it was so worn in around the jumps that it did actually look like that was the way the track was running.

Hey - maybe I shouldn't complain. With 90% of the riders going around the jumps, they stay all nice and fresh for me and the other handful that enjoy jumping them.

Ill be the first skipper to fess up, guarantee i'll get ripped apart for this too! LOL There are multiple reasons why I skip that section. First reason being is that i don't think that is one of the safest sections on the track. "BUT MX IS DANGEROUS, YOU SHOULDNT BE HERE IF YOU THINK ITS DANGEROUS!" Well, its only a practice track, it is not worth it to me to try and hit a section and have the risk of wadding up. I hit it a few times, it just bucks you funny. 2nd, I find it way more fun to just rip around the outside, launch the drop off and have to scrub to make that corner single and not fly off the track. 3. That section doesn't seem like it belongs there. From the corner before it, to the table tops, that just seems out of place. I feel like I am practicing to try and excel to the next level. It takes balls and skill to come out of that corner wide open and hold it all the way down to that drop off. You can't charge through the doubles. 4. Maybe that is one of the main reasons why, you cant charge through them. You have to put through them, or else you will be catapulted!

So there is my reasoning, the eyes of a skipper! I'm sure all of you will jump all over my comments, "motocross isn't perfect, you have to ride the whole track." Well, i'm doing my best to have fun out there and get the most out of riding. I can completely understand where you guys are all coming from though. Frank, this is nothing towards you at all, the track was great last night!
Thanks.

I'll admit I skipped the jumps on certain laps, but not every lap. I really have no reasoning behind it, the double-double-double is easy. I did see A riders blowing right by them, didn't really get that. If anything the A riders should b trying to triple-triple.

I was a "skipper" last night as well, but the reason that I skipped them was this:

First lap out in practice and I'm behind a slower guy but one who is jumping all the jumps around the track up to that point and I'm taking a sighting lap. I go through the left hand turn before the jumps wider than the slower guy and turn and aim at the jumps and prepare to jump down the right side of the straight....... the slower guy took the way inside left line through the turn and then gets going down the straight at a nice clip all the way across the track into the skipping lane right across my front wheel almost causing me to go down when I grab a handful of front brake......... I looked at the track and it looked all disced up and watered around the jumps and I wondered if the track was going around them tonight???? I watched a lap of people with 100% of the riders going around the jumps and figured that it must be that way tonight. So I just made that my line.......... later in the night a saw a few (very few) guys jumping the jumps and thought that this is a mistake waiting to happen with guys crossing lines going different ways. That's why I was not jumping them.

Now that we are talking about jumps and stuff, I had more than one occasion last night where a slower rider is getting the nerve to jump something and trying it out in the middle of traffic. I had at least 3 close calls on the last table top before the turn and jump over the creek. I understand that you want to be able to jump the whole thing and the landing / runoff goes WAY wide there to allow people to jump, but the faster guys are jumping to the inside to stay on the shorter line. I had 3 different riders go hard right from the middle to the outside "learning" to jump the whole thing while I was on them and planning on jumping to the inside....... now since I'm patient and don't trust other rider's decisions, I stayed out of harms way....... but Really fast guys like Gallo and others are just on it and won't hold up with a mid air collision bound to happen. My advice to the "learners" out there is to wait by the straight to try a jump and make sure you have plenty of room with no other riders coming behind you. Then jump on the outer most lane and stay in that outermost lane of the track while learning the jump to avoid faster guys that are always going to the inside.

It's frustrating while you are trying to pound laps and get in shape for a big race when you are almost getting taken out by guys trying to learn a new jump who are taking an inside to outside line on the track in traffic.

When we go to the Cabin we park right in front of the rhythm section so I can see most of the track when my kid is out there. I have seen several close calls on the first double but the rest of the rhythm section seems to flow better. I have seen people jump in front of others, getting out of their line, causing panic revs . Several people do fly around it and most look before re-entering the track, but some don't.

I also choose to skip that section afew laps ..... showed up at about 4:30 start unloading (mind we parked right by the section) and only to hear panic rev and someone endowing off the first double slamming into the second double. Just so happened it was a good buddy richie kolcun who just made it to loretta's also. He got up and walked away but holding a wrist and not looking good. Hope nothing is broke on the little guy.

Okay well im one of the so called " SKIPPERS ". Apple cabin is a great track mainly because it has a very good flow to it and you can carry your speed around the whole track at all times. Now when you get to that double double double section you are 3 gear pinned to the face of a 4 ft double you have to slam on the breaks or land into the face of the next one, there for it ruins that flow that apple cabin in known for. So thats why alot of the faster kids who fly thru that section go around so they can keep there speed they have going.

So is this a Rythm section, a 6-pak?
Seems once you wad up once in a rythm section, it's hard to get that out of your psyche.

A local buddy of mine has a track we ride. We have a double-double section on it. I've endoed twice out of a kazillion times I've hit it. Some time ago I quit jumping through it until he lowered and rounded more the first set. Now I'm hitting it again, but the memory is still fresh.
Ironically, we were riding this last Monday, and he almost endoed coming out of it once, cause he overjumped going in, with him and my son racing side-by-side. It spooked him.

jump_rope_prohibited_highway_sign_card-p137605878964282452qiae_400.jpg

Back