Why is it that no one is racing in District 11?

As stated by Sharc and Jgreen, personal budgets and time are factors for some, if not many. Sharcs comments on commitment are real. Who isn't excessively busy these days?

Isn't the Ohio State Championship an 8 race series this year? I don't know about awards but I know they pay contingency money, and most of the riders showing up are from PA.

Isn't the Ohio State Championship an 8 race series this year? I don't know about awards but I know they pay contingency money, and most of the riders showing up are from PA.

I had every intention of racing the Area 330 round, but there wasn't practice the day before. That's the kicker for me.....I need more than 3 laps of morning practice to be comfortable racing. On a practice day, my best laps occur during my last moto. Always happens. The first rides of the day aren't clicking for whatever reason. So to practice 3 laps before racing seems like a bad idea. That's why I loved the OMG series. Practice Saturday, race Sunday.

Personally, for me it’s all about the time.

I don’t want to spend the time needed to race: (locally)

Basically, you have to commit to racing at the detriment to everyone and everything else around you.

You have to get ready, get loaded, get to bed early, make food, pack coolers, get up early, rush driving to make it on time, Bla, Bla, Bla…….only to have the “days schedule” dictate when (and how often and for how long) I get to ride for that day.

Now, for events that I deem “significant” enough ……I make the time (at the detriment to all my other responsibilities) and enjoy myself.

But to put forth that kind of time commitment (on a weekly basis) for an average event just isn’t high on my life’s list anymore.

Abbbbsolutely!

Not to mention MX is the next Nascar. My dad could of put me on a brand new kawasaki kx 60 for 2,300 out the door when I raced in the 90s when the economy was boo-boo-booming. Gas was cheap, we were travelling, I was seeing the USA on a modest middle class working mans income. When I have kids...it's going to cost me 4300+, probably more on the lines of 5 because by the time my kid is 7 years old it will only be that much more expensive, and on a modest middle class man's income I don't think I'll be able to show my kids half of what my dad showed me! Makes me sad to think about really...where the sport is now from where it once was related to cost.

So how can the economy NOT be affecting it? I know people who want to race will race, but man oh man, I'm not sacrificing a savings account/retirement for racing.

The bottom line is every pro practicer needs to step up and support racing in Ohio, otherwise there's not going to be racing in Ohio. D11, OHMX, Unsanctioned races, pick one and support them. There are 50 classes to choose from, pick one or two classes and do your best. Do this as often as you can. That's how you earn that number on your bike.

The bottom line is every pro practicer needs to step up and support racing in Ohio, otherwise there's not going to be racing in Ohio. D11, OHMX, Unsanctioned races, pick one and support them. There are 50 classes to choose from, pick one or two classes and do your best. Do this as often as you can. That's how you earn that number on your bike.

Dude, get a grip.
WTF are you taking about. You aint no politician and MX aint politics…. We do as we please, not what others tell us.
You been hanging out with John 250????

If the D11 racing scene does go belly up, there will still be tracks that will be charging to ride("practice"). Each of us is making a decision to race or to "practice" based on our own personal priorities. I'm personally not going to start racing again just to keep D11 or any other organization from going under. For those that do want to race, I hope for their sake the scene takes a turn for the better.

For what it is worth. I copied a link to this thread and sent it to all the MX promoters and Officers in district 11. I have also drafted 3 proposals to be read and voted on at the next meeting 7/26. The district did not get this way overnight and it will not get better overnight. The only thing I do know is if some changes arent made it is alot more likely to not get better at all. I really like the feedback that is be given in this thread and have encouragd our promoters to read it and respond. In the end though it will take an open mind from our promoters and riders as well. I would say if you enjoy racing come out to the tracks and race. Then give feedback to the facility/promoter to help them adjust. I feel that the promoters who are willing to listen and respond will benefit. Then hopefully riders will also respond by coming out to support them. I grew up racing and riding in the area and now have a son who is doing it also. I would like for him to have the same or better oppurtunities than I had when it comes to racing and riding.

I chose to get involved in the district this year to see if there was something I could do to help. It has been an eye opening experience so far. If anyone has an feedback thay would like to share with district 11 or any of its promoters you can find my contact information at www.district11ama.com under MX chairman.

As mentioned by several, economic times has put a big damper on a lot of people over the past 3-5 years. Personally I've taken a huge pay cut from what I was earning 3-5 years ago.

The Vet classes tend to be some of the biggest today. The youth can't afford the bikes/equipment. I temember back when I was 15-21, most of my friends could go buy a new 125 every year with their own money.

The tracks in D11 leave a lot to be desired for me. I feel bad saying this but I don't like any of them. However, I can't blame the owners for not investing time/money into them. I mean why spend countless hours prepping/changing layouts for no one to show up. The money isn't there for them.

Another big sticking point for me is time involved. If you just race on a Sunday, you take up most of the weekend. You can't do too much on Sat., as you have to get in bed at a decent time to get up at 6 am. Then sit around all day during 20+ classes of riders. That is a lot of time, when you have family, house chores, etc.

Most adult sports such as volleyball, bowling, sofball etc, can be done in a few hours. There should be a better way to do this. Combine more classes, cut classes, maybe run half the classes in the morning and half in the afternoon? For me this is a huge sticking point.

Dude, get a grip.
WTF are you taking about. You aint no politician and MX aint politics…. We do as we please, not what others tell us.
You been hanging out with John 250????

Dude, you're not fooling anyone. You've been an ambassador for MX racing in Ohio for decades and have earned the #2 plate ten fold. I'm just looking forward to the day I turn 45 so you and that piddler can't hide behind the 45+ class anymore:)

Yeah-Yeah…..
And you know I still love to race….(but on my terms now).
Better have some birthdays quick though…..I’ll be eligible for the + 50 class starting next year….

Back