Why is it that no one is racing in District 11?

One thing hurting the sport......I have preeched for years.....TOO MANY CLASSES extending the day, lowering the numbers on each gate, etc. No one needs to have little johnny ride three classes.....all the 50 extra, 65 extra, 85 extra. collegeboy, schoolboy, girls, women, D class, C class on and on.....make it pretty simple...
50 jr
50 sr
85 jr
85 sr
250 c
250 b
250 A
450 c
450 b
450 A
25+
35+
womens

Total of 14 Bike classes need at a local race.....I dont feel any others are needed on a local level. Go to a regional or qualifer, ok, but this is all you need at a normal local race. Just my opinion. It would allow for more laps, and eliminate a lot of staging, gate drops, and time in the day. Or keep the laps the same and just shorten everyones day at the races......I think people would like that, because it has got to the point where it is usually at least 12 hours.

I second John250 on this one (!?!), with the caveat that 16-24 should be thrown in. That one is usually pretty full (at least it WAS when I last paid attention). And, have the classes arranged in advance to streamline the program.

I raced my first GP in California in 2000. The promoters (SRA) had a AM and PM program. Running orders were posted the day before, online. Everyone got one preview lap either in the AM or PM. The race was a one hour format, long enough for a stock tank and a body. Classes were combined and left the line at 1 minute intervals (EX: 250A at 1 PM, 250B at 1:01, 250C at 1:02). You knew your start time, you raced, you went home. Pretty fun. I haven't been to a D-11 GP, but I want to do this more than a local MX.

Ok... Here's my $.02

There's a few problems(that can be fixed) with District 11.

1: The Tracks
- We(District 11) are in Southern Ohio. So most tracks are on flat grounds. So there is only so much they can do, which i understand. Its all about TRACK PREP!!! Other than Chillitown and DMC(when the water truck isnt broken), no one preps there tracks good enough anymore. Dirt Country should be watering the piss out of that track as we speak and every day on until there race this sunday. Its summer, its hot, dirt dries out! Get moisture on it. Not the morning before the race. Too many tracks only prep good enough for practice and by the end of the day its hard/dusty/holed out. ALSO, how about you guys switch up the track every year!?!?!? Do you promoters have any idea how old it gets riding the same direction/track every year?? COCR, Dirt Country, AMS, even DMC! Are you listening?!?!?!? Bcliff makes changes monthly and people are excited about change! So get your butts out on that dozer during the week and make it happen!!! OH and track PRESENTATION!!!!! Every promoter in D11 needs to go to a Chillitown race and take notes! Put up some banners, hay-bales,tuff blocks, etc. Believe it or not it will go a long way! I like to feel like im at an actual race event rather than some field with jumps and knee high weeds/grass everywhere! Take pride in your product!

2: Fair Series
- It is absolutley UNFAIR that the Fair races, at least during the week, are counted as District points. It should be its own series, no if's,and's, or but's about it. I could see the weekend fair races paying District points because it gives the average Joe that works during the week have a realistic chance at winning the district. This is no disrespect to AMS, hell, ive ran the fair series, and have done all of them so far. It's just not fair to guys chasing the district that these week night races count as points. BTW, why dont any of you "fair racers" come to any of the other tracks, other than AMS????????????????????????

3.Money issue:
- I get it, economy sucks, this and that, blah blah blah! Everyone knows our sport is expensive! Especially with the 4strokes! But some tracks are trying to acommodate you penny pinchers. Chillitown and AMS both offer sign up bucks as awards. Every track should do this. For instance, at Chillitown last week i won both races and got a holeshot award. So i got 50$ in chilli cash. I raced all day sunday for free. And next time i go i'll be racing for damn near free on saturday too.

Alot of you like to spend $20 (just practice fee) to ride for a few hours at a practice track. So i spend $20(on average) more than you and most likley get more laps, at least more effective laps than you do. On a race day it cost me roughly 45$ for 2 classes. That gives me 5 laps of practice and 4- 5 lap motos. How many of you actually ride more than 25 laps in a day of practice? I doubt most of you do.

All in all, it sucks, because our district used to be one of the best in the country, now its basically a laughing stock. The only thing that can change that is the promoters! Stop talking about what your going to do and DO IT!!!! Makes changes, bring in different soil, make us, the racers excited to come to your event. I know its hard work, but easy work doesn't produce results. Thats all for now! See you guys at the RACES!!!!!!

Why does everyone keep saying it is only $20 bucks more to race ???? Maybe for one class that is close to the mark but for two ? No way !

Gate fee 10
Entry 25 or 30 depending on the track --- each class

Thats at minimum $60 for two classes compared to 20 for a practice track. That is a $40 savings.

And if you are in good shape, which normally I am close, you can put a good 2 - 3 hours of seat time in. That is a normal amount on my hour meter after a day at the practice track. Compare that to 1 hour , for two classes, at most mx races.

Do get me wrong, I have said it before, I would rather race anyday of the week instead of practice track riding. But I have to agree with those who say they get their money's worth at the practice days compared to the racing.

One thing hurting the sport......I have preeched for years.....TOO MANY CLASSES extending the day, lowering the numbers on each gate, etc. No one needs to have little johnny ride three classes.....all the 50 extra, 65 extra, 85 extra. collegeboy, schoolboy, girls, women, D class, C class on and on.....make it pretty simple...
50 jr
50 sr
85 jr
85 sr
250 c
250 b
250 A
450 c
450 b
450 A
25+
35+
womens

Total of 14 Bike classes need at a local race.....I dont feel any others are needed on a local level. Go to a regional or qualifer, ok, but this is all you need at a normal local race. Just my opinion. It would allow for more laps, and eliminate a lot of staging, gate drops, and time in the day. Or keep the laps the same and just shorten everyones day at the races......I think people would like that, because it has got to the point where it is usually at least 12 hours.

Why not nix the 25+ and 35+ instead of getting rid of 40+ ?

I say that because I really don't feel a person starts signifcantly losing speed until they hit their mid to late 40s . If there weren't a 25+ and 35+ it wouldnt be much of a stretch for the riders in that age group to help fill the gate on one of the A,B, or C classes.

But then, I've got no dog in this fight as I'm a few years past 50 and other than having some fun with post vintage racing... I've become an amateur practicer.

The 25+/30+/40+ have been the biggest gates at most D11 races this year. I think some better class structure needs to take place, but it will never happen.

On the subject of vet classes, I've always wondered why not change from +25/+30/+40, and make it Vet A, B, and C? I thought AMA D12 used to do it that way, but the CRA in NE Ohio only has the age vet classes. The reason I ask is some of us suck but still like to race for fun, but it's not too fun entering +30 and getting smoked by the local Doug Dubach. The other option of course is to enter the banzai C class (250 or 450), but then you are banging bars and getting landed on by 19 year old Billy who doesn't have any fear, kids, or a job to get to on Monday. In the age vet classes, you end up racing the two guys in front of you and the two guys behind you because the rest of the class is way ahead or way behind, instead of having a fair crack at the whole class. I agree racing isn't cheap compared to a practice day, but I would be more inclined to do it more often if I felt I fit better in a vet class.

The reason I ask is some of us suck but still like to race for fun, but it's not too fun entering +30 and getting smoked by the local Doug Dubach. The other option of course is to enter the banzai C class (250 or 450), but then you are banging bars and getting landed on by 19 year old Billy who doesn't have any fear, kids, or a job to get to on Monday.

haahahaa good stuff!

I agree with RobinsonRacing on the track presentation deal, banners signs, etc. I spent the money on bale covers and penants on our practice track and I don't even charge admission. Also agreed, way too many classes, that's more money in their pockets, I guess. We don't chase points because the set-up is a joke with most series, so as far as the fair series not counting points I'm not sure about that one. The fairs are always going to have the biggest turnouts because they come to you. We live dead smack in nowhere country for races (close to the cliff) we have to travel at least an hour twenty to hit any event in any direction. For us, we are further limited because my son races a miniquad. We have to stay with CRA for the most part. Most D11 tracks don't even have a class for him, he just has to mix it up with 12 year olds on 70s and 90s. But that's ok his Hetrick (plug) built 50 will out run most. If anyone is aware of D11 tracks that run miniquads we are there! D11 wise, Fastraxx (no longer D11) and AMS stuff has been our only option. As of now we are CRA members $20 card and 25 ta race, got a class for us 50cc quad (4-6yrs) Malvern, Pyma, lightning, BigGame good tracks, good prep, they all have their quirks. I would sure like to see the sport get good again too. I miss the days of Klamfoth, weav, COCR member run and so forth. They all cared, loved it and treated us good. I would hope to see a few track owners with some responses on here, I think they will chime in if they are not attacked. ;)

On the subject of vet classes, I've always wondered why not change from +25/+30/+40, and make it Vet A, B, and C? I thought AMA D12 used to do it that way, but the CRA in NE Ohio only has the age vet classes. The reason I ask is some of us suck but still like to race for fun, but it's not too fun entering +30 and getting smoked by the local Doug Dubach. The other option of course is to enter the banzai C class (250 or 450), but then you are banging bars and getting landed on by 19 year old Billy who doesn't have any fear, kids, or a job to get to on Monday. In the age vet classes, you end up racing the two guys in front of you and the two guys behind you because the rest of the class is way ahead or way behind, instead of having a fair crack at the whole class. I agree racing isn't cheap compared to a practice day, but I would be more inclined to do it more often if I felt I fit better in a vet class.
I agree, a Vet Class structure like that would probably be favored by most. I don’t see a down side to it.

Victory Sports used to have a +25A and a +30A class and decided to combine the classes to one Vet Expert class that went from +25 and up. They used to get about 10-12 riders in each class. Now if they get 5 riders in the Vet Expert class that is a BIG turnout. All the other classes stayed the same except for that class and when they combined it, people quit riding it. Why? hell if i know!

I for one know that the races I like going to are the ones that have open practice on that Friday or Saturday. Believe me when I say I'd love to ride everyday. If I owned my own track I would. Im slowly approaching the vet class and I ride because I enjoy it. No matter how much I try/train I just don't have the resources/skill to show up on race day, get 3 laps and then line up. Sure racing is the best thing ever. Especially because there are very few who can even ride a bike let alone race one with 20 30 40 guys!
I don't think the economy is the driving factor but I could be wrong. It's easily pinned on that of course. I for one still manage to afford to ride every weekend permitting I don't have other engagements. I stay away from the fancy stuff set my bike up and go. Like others said I find a way to make it work. Weather it's working overtime or selling crap on ebay I still find a way.
Now if I were to get more for my money at a race Id surely race more. I always thought Trevor at TV land had something going with the Rock and Ride. Usually you get your practice in on Friday or Sat and you still get to hang out with the racing crowd and there is something besides the racing to draw others. With Sunday racing you show up do your races and leave. I feel if Im going to load up to race I want to go all weekend long. I love Western Reserve, probably one of my favorite tracks, but sorry if I can't practice on Sat I'm not racing Sunday. Sure some riders can clip off 3 laps and be ready for a Outdoor National! Im not one of those guys and I'm willing to bet the majority is the same. I have a job, bills, other things at risk. So it's also a risk reward thing. I think it helps a lot of guys to have a day of practice to feel out the track and build a little confidence prior to race day. I actually prefer the races where its all weekend rather then just on Sunday. Heck maybe move some of the classes to Saturday? I think the solution is to give people more for their money. I realize it is not that simple, but I figured everyone else was giving feedback and for me this is why I mainly ride for fun anymore.

This may be a dumb question but why do tracks charge a $10 gate fee????? I can't remember who said it( good point by the way) but to get the district started on the right path they shouldn't schedule 2 D-11 mx's on the same day. This would pertain to the guys who wanted to race and let the guys who just practice, go practice. I really like AMS format on $20 first class and $15 thereafter

I dont know why it started, but i have a guess. I would be willing to bet the promotor wanted to charge the spectators, so spectators started coming in as riders, stating that someone else was bringing my bike. So to close that loophole, they started charging everyone. In lieu of just making it $30 per class, which where it ought to be.

Here's an interesting fact. There are 57 people on this forum at this very moment, all living within driving distance of the next D11 race, all potential customers trying to plan their weekend. It's free and encouraged to promote your events on here. Heck, we practically give these banner ads away too. It's not enough to purchase a $25 square in the D11 newspaper and open the gates anymore. The owners/promoters that want to survive in this economy should be using all the resources available.

On one hand I'd like to see one AMA District for all of Ohio. On the other hand I don't want the AMA to ruin Ohio with 50 classes and forcing owners to run tiny little fair track designs. I'm hoping the free market will fix this mess.

d-11 race 7-31

after reading this thread ther have been many good ideas on things that clubs and promoters can do to help the racers on race weekends. we at TCMC have decided to lower our gate fee to $5 for the remainder of the 2011 season. it might not be much but if your vehicle has 5 people in it that will save you enough for 1 race entry. If you didnt make it to TCMC on May 15 our track has had many changes and were working hard to make things better all around. We hope to see you all on 7-31 for our next MX.

Great, thanks for taking the time to read and respond! I have to admit I am not familiar with TCMC. Do you have a website or details on your facility. Thanks, Matt.

Way to step-up Kyle and TCMC, You know I'll be there. Your track was in awsome shape last race but was unfortunately cancelled due to lack of riders,,,,,,,,,3 D-11 events on the same day!!!!

matt, we do have a webpage it's www.treatycitymc.com, theres not a lot there at the moment but were in the process of getting some pictures added and a few other updates. and jason we understand that we will never please everyone, but were gonna try anyway.
you never know race entry's could be like ams in the future, 25 and 15

Back