Why is it that no one is racing in District 11?

I'm about 45min south of pittsburgh. I use to race D-12 when they were running races due to the fact of d-5 PAMX raising the prices of racing to rediculous amounts. When d-12 quit running races I quit racing and now I travel to ohio whenver possible to pay to practice. The furthest I'll go is Briarcliff and that a little over 2hrs for me and when I come out there its like 4 of us that come out in the same truck and split the gas between us to make it affordable. I agree with others I think the price of gas, bikes, traveling expences, prices to keep up-keep on your bikes and bike haulers is killing everyone. I dont mind paying $20 to practice all day, heck I didnt mind pay $20 or $25 to race but the B.S. gate fee of $10 was rediculous for the racers who was putting the entertainment on. In D-12 you got your $20-25 worth in racing 2 practices and 4-6lap moto's most places I went. In d-5 PAMX you got a 3 lap single practice with 100 riders out on the track at the same time and 3 lap motos and waited for 3hrs between motos if not longer, and you paid $35 to race per class plus some of the places were trying to get a $15 gate fee to get in. Buying bikes I bought a 09 450 and its got around 30hrs on it and I'll probably keep it for a long time due to the fact of what bikes cost. Also I raced series races in d-5 and at the end of the year what they gave ppl was rediculous. I got shirts that were either 3x's or way to small, stuff for a quad which I didnt even have when others who were favorites got new gear stuff for their exact dirtbike they had, money big plaques ect. Where was that fair? I raced every weekend same as they did and all I got was junk and other people I knew got the same stuff junk.

I understand you completely!! I live in Central Pa and PAMX destroyed racing in our area. D5 is lucky to have 100 interies between 50 classes. PAMX is not much better in attendance, and the prices are like you said. I came out to the CRA last year, but have tried to go to D6 races this year and run a spring series. Believe me, they are having the same problem in D6, and they have Baltimore, Phily, New York , Washington and all of NJ to pull racers from. I started a thread on the D6 website about the very same thing two months ago and it just blew up! Seems the problems are the same wherever you go! Looks like a carbon copy of the D6 message board, only this is Ohio and not Eastern PA!! After our series in D6 is sone at the end of July, we will be coming out to the CRA once again!

The post on D6 website. Read some of the replies and see how similar they are!
http://members.boardhost.com/D6MX/msg/1305596788.html

I think there are many factors.......it is all over the country. But at the end of the day motocross is not near as economical racing as it used to be, and people have been priced out of racing. Motorsports are expensive. Ours used to be on the cheap end for motorsports, and that is not the case any longer.

On a side not, eveyrone on here complaining, etc, should come out to Dirt Country tomorrow and support D 11, Dirt Country and promote racing motocross.

to anyone who may have read that we at TCMC lowered our gate fee to $5 i'm sorry to say but we cant do that. When we decided this at our last meeting to lower the price we were unaware that we had agreed with the other ohio southwest mx clubs to charge $10 at the gate for all OSWMX races. We are working to try and figure out a way to help racers and their famlies save money. So keep the sugestions coming as many of you have had good ideas about things that we can do on and off the track to make the sport better. We hope to have something before our 7-31 mx. thanks and sorry, TCMC

I dont know why it started, but i have a guess. I would be willing to bet the promotor wanted to charge the spectators, so spectators started coming in as riders, stating that someone else was bringing my bike. So to close that loophole, they started charging everyone. In lieu of just making it $30 per class, which where it ought to be.

To fix that, oh ok your racing its still $10 to get in. You get the $10 back when you sign up for your class ot classes heres a ticket or whatever you give to the people at registration.

Majority of fair racers only race once a year. So I dont see how it can take away from the other tracks...people at he fair in majority I believe don't realize her are actually other tracks besides the take and he 16 week ama monster energy Sx circuit...

Dirt Country had either 214 or 240 entries last week, I can remember. Ok crowd, could have been more. For the Vets looking to have someone to race, 40+ was pretty fast last Sunday. Come on down and race with us in D11.

Dirt Country had either 214 or 240 entries last week, I can remember. Ok crowd, could have been more. For the Vets looking to have someone to race, 40+ was pretty fast last Sunday. Come on down and race with us in D11.
I can remember 330 to 440 at a Buckey race their. I also can remember when you walk in a store whith in about 30 miles of Dirt Country you would see DIRT COUNTRY FLYERS at all the local stores and in your dealer ships. ?????????????????

Some more District feedback

Hello - I have sat and read all 9 pages of comments about this problem.
First problem - Tracks allowed to schedule events on top of each other.
Solution - There is only 8 or 9 tracks thatrun mx races with a possible 32 weeks in the season for outdoor if this was divided evenly. The amount of races for all riders to attend would drop. therefore turning out more unique rider and entries because there is not 20 races that month, and it would even save money for the riders. (That is about 4 races per track for 32 races and this is plenty)

Second problem - Officials at tracks
Solution - Get about 8 AMA trained people, older guys and gals that has been around and that is not connected to any club or track n any way and also loves racing. Have them certified and they cover all D-11 races, thats one per track, 4 races per year. Pay them $100+ per event and food/drink - win-win. They can even travel around and swich with each other to see other tracks and how they run.

Third problem - amount of classes
Solution - Cut that down, the D11 and AMA need to come up with a set of classes for this area and not 5 for little johnny and 3 for suzy. Approx . 20 classes total is plenty.

Fourth problem - Cost
Solution - Now most tracks are $10 for spectators
$25 first class
$20 second class
$15 third class
This means for one rider to race 2 classes its $55 not counting gas there or food
Give back the gate fee on the third class or $5 each off the first and second or give them a coupon for food. however you do it just give it back. The riders will give back in return - more of them - more classes and bring more spectators, which buy more food. It will all work out when its done right.

Fifth problem - Series races inside of the series
Solution - If each track pulled together with all the stuff they have to give away now and made one big serious D11 race season. Just think of all the stuff that could be given away at the baquet and more coorperate sponsors would get involved because of the amount of riders - (more people reached) and the tracks would get full gates again. Race for the big cup or #1 plate like the pros do, then you give it up if you loose the next. Sponsors would look harder at that rider because they now know that was the points champ last year and if they made it mandatory to go to at least 2 events per track (even if you dont like it) then the tracks would grow. Also - More money = better tracks or at least it should. you could also have a shoot-out of all OH. Take the top 3 riders in certain classes from all districts - put on one big race at different locations each year and the district that wins overall races gets the moto cup for the following year. then it starts all over again. It could get big enough to bring in other states, now we are all having fun again.

Remember each track is unique in its own way but if everone worked together we could draw in massive amounts of riders from all over. More riders, better tracks, more profits, and less work. Now you have the money to get that tractor or dozer or whatever your case may be.

Also I think that the tracks themselves should be voted on by the D11 members for best track of the year award. this might even get more tracks wanting in the district again or for the first time. more money for district, more tracks in, more riders, more fun for all, more profits, and better tracks.

The biggest problem ever is that if a track is not up to par or trying to make it perfect for race day then someone needs to step up and work with them to get it up and running right. If they cant get it then get out untill you do!!! Sorry guys but why should all tracks suffer from one or two bad ones that dont try anymore and no I am not pointing fingers because there is always 3 pointing back. Im just putting it out there.

Work together and all tracks in OH can make money and continue to grow. keep doing what you are and only a few will make it, or all will be gone.

Thats the dirt from where I sit.

Fifth problem - Series races inside of the series
Solution - If each track pulled together with all the stuff they have to give away now and made one big serious D11 race season. Just think of all the stuff that could be given away at the baquet and more coorperate sponsors would get involved because of the amount of riders - (more people reached) and the tracks would get full gates again. Race for the big cup or #1 plate like the pros do, then you give it up if you loose the next. Sponsors would look harder at that rider because they now know that was the points champ last year and if they made it mandatory to go to at least 2 events per track (even if you dont like it) then the tracks would grow. Also - More money = better tracks or at least it should. you could also have a shoot-out of all OH. Take the top 3 riders in certain classes from all districts - put on one big race at different locations each year and the district that wins overall races gets the moto cup for the following year. then it starts all over again. It could get big enough to bring in other states, now we are all having fun again.

This might work. If you get rid of the FAIR POINTS.

Nicely put, do you think the district will implement those guidelines? I believe your on to something there

the fair should be its own race series and not counted in for the d-11 cause there is just 2 many fair races, and the district needs them riders also...but throw out the points for end of year.........

You know I have heard the fair points argument, and I have even used it before. I dont think it would change much if you did seperate the points. To be perfectly honest it has nothing to do with money, or points. Nobody wants to race like they did ten years ago. If you look around you, the things that you truly want to do, eveyone seems to find a way to make it happen. I wanted to race one race this year at Sunday Creek. It cost me well over $400 to do it. I had no chance at winning the series by simply running one race, but i really wanted to do it. So I did.

If everyone wanted to race they would be there. There is a lack of desire to race right now. Thats what is really killing Ohio Mx "racing". Case and point, look at Chillitown. How much more could you ask for? They have gone well above and beyond, so why not a huge turnout? I dont think people want to race anymore. Maybe I will put on a free race with over $5,000 in giveaways? I'd bet you that we wouldn't see a tick over 200 riders, and 300 entries.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink.

I have to disagree with you Jeremy, if YOU put on a free race with $5000 in goodies B/C would draw 500 entries. Just saying. Its B/C for crying out loud.

I also agree that if you had a great championship with say an 8 - 10 race series you would see more riders on the gate. It may take a season or two but it would happen. Take for example when OMG was running. I went all in because it was a short race series for the year end awards. It tanked but I think it wasnt given enough time to catch on.

Dave - I think your in the minority. Where is OMG now?

I'm tempted to try an experiment like that, probably couldn't swing the $5,000 in freebies, but i know I could get enough stuff to make people happy. I would do it to prove a point.

Personally, for me it’s all about the time.

I don’t want to spend the time needed to race: (locally)

Basically, you have to commit to racing at the detriment to everyone and everything else around you.

You have to get ready, get loaded, get to bed early, make food, pack coolers, get up early, rush driving to make it on time, Bla, Bla, Bla…….only to have the “days schedule” dictate when (and how often and for how long) I get to ride for that day.

Now, for events that I deem “significant” enough ……I make the time (at the detriment to all my other responsibilities) and enjoy myself.

But to put forth that kind of time commitment (on a weekly basis) for an average event just isn’t high on my life’s list anymore.

You know I have heard the fair points argument, and I have even used it before. I dont think it would change much if you did seperate the points. To be perfectly honest it has nothing to do with money, or points. Nobody wants to race like they did ten years ago. If you look around you, the things that you truly want to do, eveyone seems to find a way to make it happen. I wanted to race one race this year at Sunday Creek. It cost me well over $400 to do it. I had no chance at winning the series by simply running one race, but i really wanted to do it. So I did.

If everyone wanted to race they would be there. There is a lack of desire to race right now. Thats what is really killing Ohio Mx "racing". Case and point, look at Chillitown. How much more could you ask for? They have gone well above and beyond, so why not a huge turnout? I dont think people want to race anymore. Maybe I will put on a free race with over $5,000 in giveaways? I'd bet you that we wouldn't see a tick over 200 riders, and 300 entries.

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make him drink.

Well Jeremy, I can tell you straight up that it has a ton to do with the cost/economy. Throw about $5000 Bucks are way and I'll show you how much racing in Ohio we would do! We Just can't this year! Trust me it's KILLING me!!!!
Again just speaking from our own situation.
And if you have that race you mentioned above........ Were there and ready to go!
The OMG Series had some blips, lack of information, poor communication, bad timing and agreed just not enough time to grow legs. It was a great idea though.

I guess the reason I think that is because I have people driving well over 2-3 hours religiously to ride. What are they really saving over racing, $10 for one class, $30 for two classes. I mean they're paying $20 to ride, "all day". Which for most is going out 3-4 times. Granted some do ride allot. But on average it really isn't that much different (practice plus two motos), plus racing is so much more thrilling. Is not worth $10-30 more for that adrenaline rush on the gate? I guess I dont see a allot of difference money wise, not enough that people would chose to race over ride. If you cant afford to race, you cant hardly afford to ride at all. unless you got like three kids racing, then i get it.

Sharc hit it. A majority dont want to do it, because of the time/schedule of the day.

Personally, for me it’s all about the time.

I don’t want to spend the time needed to race: (locally)

Basically, you have to commit to racing at the detriment to everyone and everything else around you.

You have to get ready, get loaded, get to bed early, make food, pack coolers, get up early, rush driving to make it on time, Bla, Bla, Bla…….only to have the “days schedule” dictate when (and how often and for how long) I get to ride for that day.

Now, for events that I deem “significant” enough ……I make the time (at the detriment to all my other responsibilities) and enjoy myself.

But to put forth that kind of time commitment (on a weekly basis) for an average event just isn’t high on my life’s list anymore.

This is what I am getting at. If you have a short series with great rewards I ( and I think many others) would make the time for 8 - 10 races starting in march through november. It is a small number of racess to put forth the time commitment. I think people ( like myself) are burned out on racing every weekend for an award. So we turn to events that peak our interest. For me that is OIR, WRMC, practice days at the Cliff and Red Bud. Many on here are trying or have made it to LL. The effort and time is spent at the most bang for the buck. Long race series with too many races just dont cut it anymore.

Personally I am very disapointed that the King Of the Cliff didnt come this year.I understand the reasons and I am not complaining. I was really excited about racing a series for the first time in a couple of years. I think you would have seen more than your 200 rider mark by the last one. Next year would have started there and gone higher IMO. I think many tracks could benefit from a format like that. You have the benefit of not being there at 7 am, you get the same amount of practice track time that MOST people use and you get to race if you make the top 40. Better yet make two races, top 40 and the next 40. then practice till days end. There is no long days sitting around not riding, just an hour break or so if you dont ride in the event. Even so you get some great racing to watch.

Sorry so long winded, two broken arms and a lack of riding takes its toll on a person !!!

Im bummed too Dave - I really wanted to it pull off. I think we all got pickpocketed by mother nature. She owes us all.

Nevermind my rant. I guess no matter what the reason is, people are not racing as much in Ohio, and i dont think that many of us have a clear cut solution to fix it.

Back