Smith Road Raceway Sold

PitRacer

PR Founding Father
I do not have a ton of info and hate to just throw something out like this, but I have very good word that Smith Road Raceway has been sold and will be under new operation next season.

I know that Smith has had many critics the last few years, but I'd like to just say a huge THANK YOU to George Singler for everything he has done for us over the past 40 years or so. To think that George is in his mid-late 70's and is still out there every week running the track is just amazing.

I grew up riding/racing at Smith Rd and we have all been wondering what the fate of the track would be as George has been running it a very, very long time and none of us are getting any younger. To have this news that the track will be continuing is very exciting.

Again, THANK YOU GEORGE for all you have done for us and the Ohio motocross scene.

I do not have a ton of info and hate to just throw something out like this, but I have very good word that Smith Road Raceway has been sold and will be under new operation next season.

I know that Smith has had many critics the last few years, but I'd like to just say a huge THANK YOU to George Singler for everything he has done for us over the past 40 years or so. To think that George is in his mid-late 70's and is still out there every week running the track is just amazing.

I grew up riding/racing at Smith Rd and we have all been wondering what the fate of the track would be as George has been running it a very, very long time and none of us are getting any younger. To have this news that the track will be continuing is very exciting.

Again, THANK YOU GEORGE for all you have done for us and the Ohio motocross scene.

X2 Thanks George for all of your efforts, you are an icon in Motocross!

I'm glad it's staying open I just went there for the first time this year and like the track. Plus there is nothing else like it I think it's a great track.

Thanks for being there for us through all these years George!
My first exposure to real live MX racing was at Smith Rd. Raceway and over time I have ridden more laps around Smith Rd than any other place.

After seeing the track and the AHRMA race, Smith Rd is the north-east Ohio version of a Honda Hills. All of you folks up there are incredibly blessed to have it, and to have grown up with it there.

The wife and I met George at Mid-Ohio 2009, and was fortunate enough to get to watch him in action. It was inspiring to see him come off the line and bang bars with others younger than him.

Happy Trails George Singler!

Thanks George for all the hard work .I'am glad its staying open hopefully the new owners will continue with the same success. I have a lot of fond memories of coming out to smith road and watching some great races and racing some miserably muddy ones. Good luck on your retirement George see you at Crooms.

It has been truly an honor to stand in the presence of such a local icon and legend who has done more for the sport of motocross than anyone I know, and all for love of the sport. I'm glad it will continue to operate as a track, and I hope it does not get turned into another one of the same modern type tracks. Smith has a unique following because of its old school appeal. My best wishes to George in his retirement. He certainly deserves one! I always looked forward to saying hello and chatting for a few minutes before each race day. I hope he still comes by on race days.

SmithMemorial019.jpg

I have ridden at Smith Rd for practice for my entire Riding career from age 5 to age 42!!!! You have no idea how long it took me to be able to be able to ride faster than George and pass him at his own track........ think about age 20 or so...... chasing a guy who was already 50 at that point. George has always been a MX Icon in this area for his hard work at the track and giving us all a place to ride year in and year out for close to 40 years. I can't thank George enough for his tireless effort and work making a place for all of us to be able to ride and am so happy that it will continue to be available for my kids to ride and learn the finer points of motorcycling at such a historic venue.

Thank you George! You're the best!

We have been wondering for years what would happen to Smith Road Raceway. My whole crew have been riding there since the 60s-70's. So much history has happened there and so many young guys learned to ride there. I often say MX is a thankless sport. You only do it because you love it. George has put countless hours into the track and sport with little thanks. Thanks George for being a great ambassator for the sport of MX and all the effort you've put into the track. We often stay after riding for campfire and cookouts and comment what a great place just to hang out. I hope you find something fun to get into. Thanks again for years of fun.

I wondered how long it would take to see this post. I talked to George Weds. and found out the news. I, like the rest of you, have been in awe for years watching George rip around. I hope he enjoys his new found "retirement". Thank You George!

It is great to hear that Smith Road will continue! I too was concerned that some day George may get tired of the work he puts into the place and call it quits. Thanks a million for the great years of practice and racing George!
I'll drink one to Georges "retirement". Best of luck!

One of my oldest memories of Smith Road is the forward falling gate with the numbers welded into each gate. You signed up in the position you wanted. First come first served.

In my honest opinion, Georges attitued is more of what america needs. With todays poor ecomomy and everyones fear of loosing customers, George has the nerve to tell some one if they dont like it...leave. He provides an honest hard working effort to provide everyone something he feels is of value to the MX community. No b*tt kissing at Smith Road. Just real MX...old school maybe...but real none the less.

George Singler for PRESIDENT!

Hope George has a great retirement as running a track is a lot of work, is quite a commitment
and something he does better by himself than many clubs do.

Talked to him a few weeks back at practice & he has been doing some vintage flat track racing
this year.

I think one of the fondest memories I have of George is from a AHRMA race in WV a few years
back. Old School George was racing his old BSA on a track that look like a river was literally
running down it & flat out hauling!

Many kids would have whined about the weather & pack it in but not George as he was standing
around in the pouring down rain while many were hiding under umbrellas or easy ups. I bet 90%
of the people on here would have packed it in & headed home.
Not one complaint was heard about the weather or track as he is a true Iron Man & Die Hard Racer!

Wish him the best & hope he gets to put in many more laps as he is an inspiration to many.

Sounds like a major year end party need to take place at his last practice this year to honor him.

Maico Mark

I was thinking the same thing. It has been YEARS since I raced Smith Road but I think I will on Labor Day as a Farewell to George.

I'm glad I got to ride the track before he sold it. Real old school mx. Thanks George for giving us all something we won't forget!

I heard about this last night. I'd like to give George a big thank you as well. I learned to deal with ruts and braking bumps from riding at Georges. IMO-- Smith Rd. is the Carlsbad Raceway of Ohio. I'll come out to ride on Labor Day for sure.

I hope that the new chapter will include all the things we love about the track. Just a slight facelift maybe? Hopefully the new energy will bring back the vintage event/s.

Thanks again, and good luck to the new crew. --Tony C.

Back