Smith Road Raceway Sold

Yes, the new owner of Smith after Sept 5, 2011 will be Larry Plas. He's been riding his whole life at Smith Rd as well, is a local in that he lives in Grafton and has a son that has travelled the amatuer circuit hitting big events like Loretta Lynn's, the Mini Olympics at Gainesville, and other big events. He's working with George for the rest of the summer learning the ropes and has left an open invitation for George to continue to spend his summers living at the track where he always has for as long as George chooses to do so. Larry wants to give the place a slight face lift with some track changes to get a little more of turnout on a weekly basis than Smith Rd is getting right now. He's got some ideas and taking the summer to get a good look at the place and see what changes will make the biggest positive effect in terms of next year. He's very excited to keep Smith Rd a motocross track and keep the open practice going that so many of us have come to know and love over the years. Larry will do a fine job and checks in on here to see what people think of the track and the layouts......... There are no set changes as of yet, but definate changes coming. I believe he also plans to keep the same 3 outlaw races each year on Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day just like George always has.

I'm very excited that my favorite weekly practice track will remain open and give me a place to ride on Wed nights for the near future.

What a relief. Another iconic riding facility lives on!!!
Congrat's to George and his girlfriend and to Larry and his family and a big YEEEEEE HAAAAAAA for all of us Smith faithful.
Good to hear the new owner will keep the Singler blueprint in tact and provide a new energy with some modern updates on the track. I hope to see the old-school romance continue as I feel this is a Smith Rd staple. Keep the 6-pak ! :)

Best wishes to Larry and his crew, safe flattracking to George, and thank God a developer did not make the purchase. I am sure George could have banked more $$$ but because he is what MOTOCROSS stands for, we will ride on!!!! Such good news for once regarding riding areas and tracks.

Awesome that it will continue for the riders, and in the hands of someone who knows the place! Good deal, wishing them all the best!

Now George has to dig up all those jars of $$$ he has hidden around the track.
I still have Christmas cards from George, Barb and Robin they sent out in the mid 70's.
Nothing like seeing Barb tackle a pit racer off his bike and give him a verbal lashing......she was one tough cookie.
The hare scrambles, one was a 4 hour I did on my 1977 RM100 which I got 3rd in class solo the other I beat Jack Penton on my 125....shhhhh he broke down the last lap...heheheh.
Ah.. the early to mid 70's Monday Memorial day races where a ton of pro's would show up....BETTER than the High Point National.
I remember one pro commenting on the "old" starting gate and how It "wouldn't make it at a National" THAT gate ( the original one) was soooooooo easy to jump, just lag back, aim for the castrol sign on the tree at the first turn, and once the guy with the #1 flinched GO !!.
My FIRST race was at Smith on/in a 1974 Yamaha DT100 with trials tires, I got 13 out of 17. I have the pics, I remember some fast guys were on the line: Ramon Giovanni, Paul Walker, and one of the Piaseki's MAN they were fast.
I still have my Singler Enterprises T shirt from the early 70's.
One race I remember seeing Harold Robinson get the holeshot, go around the start hill and across the bridge............problem was the start went around the start hill and back down the straight..........I did the exact same thing in my moto...DUH !!!!
My first Pro race was at Smith September 30th 1978 I was 17 on a Yamaha YZ 250..... IRONICALLY Larry Plas got 3rd I got 4th. Kenny Deacon won.
The names: Jon Leak, Harold Robinson, Tom Basil, Jerry Sales, Gabe Vajda, Greg Troyan, Tim Brodie, John Racin, Kenny Deacon, Ross Williams, Cal Calkicki, The Tomko's, Dave Lastafka, Dave Fletterick, Butch Baur, Jim Madsen, Chris Szymanowski, Brian Kroll, Jack Horninek Sr, Gregg Hansel, Rick Bennett, Rick Phillips, Bob Blackham, Jim Benko, Jeff Satmary, Jim Goheller, Ray Berry, Ron Dunfee, Larry Dudeck, Pluto and Pop, Ray/Jack Chester, Denny Salamon, Rob McClain, Gary Jump, Frank Martin...
Good O'l Smith Road memories.

Great stuff in there......... and great that the track will live on with someone that really cares and has been around it for as long as Larry has!

yup i remember all those memories and more, all was the best, and they had the best hotdogs around.
ken frank- IMG_NEW.jpg ex number 710

The cheeseburgers always got my kids excited. The one summer I had both boys with me, they'd look forward to the cheeseburgers as much as the riding.

My first race was at Smith Road as well.
Sporting my new Honda MR 50.
Gonna miss George. We may have to go see him in FLA if thats his plan.

That was painful to read. It wont look the same without the big green John Deere out there.

So, who is going to the George Singler Farewell Race?

We could use a couple more trike racers to make two gates!

For those of y'all that remember Clydine (my Grandmother), I thought I should let you know that she passed away on February 9, 2012. We all know how much she loved working, interacting with the riders, and living at the track for all those years. Here are the links to her obituaries if any of y'all wish to share some memories of her. Take care and enjoy the time you have with your loved ones.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sptimes/obituary.aspx?n=clydine-hensley&pid=155935829

http://www.turnerfuneralandcremation.com/obituaries/tribute.html?url=http://stei-23768.tributes.com/show/Clydine-Hensley-93236263

It saddens me greatly to hear of this. My condolences to the family. I always looked forward to spending half my race day at the signup bulding just shooting the breeze with this wonderful and awesome lady.

Condolences to the family. Sorry to hear of your loss.

It saddens me greatly to hear of this. My condolences to the family. I always looked forward to spending half my race day at the signup bulding just shooting the breeze with this wonderful and awesome lady.

Thanks fellas.

I scanned a couple pictures for y'all but unfortunately she was the one taking nearly all the pictures so there was only a couple with her in them.

grama1.jpg
grama2.jpg
smithrd1.jpg
smithrd2.jpg
smithrd3.jpg

Back