Anybody wanna ride a new track?

hippiemcgrath

PR Addict
Good, we need your business. We at COCR are updating our track this weekend. I know what your thinking, COCR isn't a new track, the've been around scince the 60's. But we are allowed to rebuild the track this weekend and from our turnouts this year it shows not many of you have been coming. So from that point of view it is and will be a new track to anyone who shows up. I started this post to get a buzz going and ask everyone. What can we do to bring you in and keep you coming back to COCR? We at COCR have been holding races at our track scince bikes had no suspension and square wheels. if you search some of our abandoned trails you might even find some of the old "square tire tracks". I'm sure the first comment I'll get to this is more open practice. We plan to hold more open practices next year and less races. Racing is out and open practice is what the riders want. Now that we got that loud and clear, what can we do to our track to bring you back? The track will be pretty much the same layout except maybe a couple turns or so. But the jumps will be changing. So what would you like? tabletops? step on step off's? or just a bunch of straight aways? If you've made it to the club this year and didn't like something about the track. what was it and how can we change it to make it better?

I've raced there since the 80's grew up right down the street. The track used to be one of the best around. The biggest problem is the dirt is wore out it needs completely plowed and make the track in areas that hasn't been ran in years. I offered last year at the buckeye series bonfire to a few of your members to do this for free. My boss would have paid for the equipment to do it and I would have had some older fast guys come in and help design the track. But all I got was excuses was why that couldn't be done. I think if you want some help to get people back start with getting rid of all the gnarly jumps. Take a good look at red bud its the pro's favorite track and it literly has 4 large table tops and laracoos leap other then that its just rollers and good sweeping corners. You don't need the leap but just goes to show you don't have to have a bunch of crazy jumps for people to like the track. Just my 2 cents.

Good call stumpy.......good dirt, wide track, safe jumps and 4 laps that makes you think you got a good work out.

I feel it all in the race day prep that will get people there and keep them coming back. We come to COCR almost every race. It is still one of my favorite tracks, You have alot of potential to have a great facitility but it seeems the effort has been lacking the last few seasons. By the end of the day it is very hard packed and the dust is flying. I also agree with the guys above. I would do what you can to make the track entirely new. There is a reason people are going to certain tracks and racing with certain promoters. Visit those events and facitilities and see what the difference is. I really don't think open practice is the answer. I don't recall any large turnouts for the ones you have already had.

Well said Justin. COCR has such potential. I too try and go to every event. The design isn't the problem. The current layout is fun enough. I've liked most layouts over the past few years but track prep has been shaky. Get your water truck reliable and prep it and riders will come. If you only have one open practice a year it should showcase the club. It should be the best track in Ohio that weekend. Even if you only get 10 guys to show up if you're doing it right word will spread for the next event.

I ride at COCR as much as possible and plan on going to the raecs in October. Only minor tweaks if any are needed to the layout. Just need to attend a few Briarcliff track prep classes.

Chuck and Justin hit it......track prep. Last time I rode there, they watered at intermission. Right on top of the hard pack and ruts, without touching a disc...might as well NOT watered, it would have been better. They watered so much coming down the hills into the corners each rut was filled with 6 to 10 inches of water that ran down the hill. The whole track was slicker than snot........it was plain stupid to even touch the water truck if that was what you were going to do. I told them that day I would not be back, and I haven't yet. People are not going to COCR, Treaty City or Lake Baliee.......what do they all have in common? POOR track prep and maintenance during the day. That needs fixed more than a few new jumps.

Track prep is definatelty a big factor. I used to LOVE COCR. It was one of my top 3 ohio tracks. That orange tacky clay you guys used to have was incredible. And the prep there back in 07 n 08 n 09 was top notch. I loved the layout too but thats another thing that was gotten worse over the years.....go back to the roots...and bring back the gravity cavity...and the rythm section after that was great...or the old infield whoops section was great for passing too. The whole back section should still be a part of it all too....double double huge table, 90 degree right hand HUGE straight away with that drop off and then come back around to the two doubles and ski jump! those were great! as for the drop off doubles in the infield, i hate those....and they completely kill some of the flow...(the ones where it looks like u just dug down and took a chunk outa the track and u have to just pin it to make it across the gap and land of the other side of the gap....i beleive theres 2 of those...i hate them both more old fashioned doubles or rythm sections or whoops or big mound singles for guys to scrub should go in their place....or table tops are always good too or even that huge double onto a table top landing like you used to have back by the gravity cavity is good too. Bring those back and work on the prep and ill surely be back!!! And excited to do so also!

Oh, and not trying to kiss @$$ but if you need tips on track prep and soil etc....Jeremy Osborn is definately the best in the business as far as ohio tracks go. Nobody beats his track prep and his consistency of perfect prep too. Unless his water trucks broke....you can expect a PERFECT track hands DOWN!

Oh, and not trying to kiss @$$ but if you need tips on track prep and soil etc....Jeremy Osborn is definately the best in the business as far as ohio tracks go. Nobody beats his track prep and his consistency of perfect prep too. Unless his water trucks broke....you can expect a PERFECT track hands DOWN!

While track prep is important...when every rider takes home 10-20# of dirt with him every practice...there is nothing to left prep but rocks and clay. I think soil condition is equally important.

Ive heard this song and dance before! Hopefully someone will actually do something about it. If not, your digging your own grave, as well as the Districts.

Track changes are done. There will be a little tweaking of a couple jump faces maybe but thats it. The whole track is at least 20 foot wide. Every jump, every straight away, and every turn is 20 foot or wider. There will be no holding a faster guy back now. You can go anywhere on the track. we will be posting a helmet cam lap this weekend. We might try to schedule an open practice before the Thrills in the hills event October 1-2 so stay tuned. I also meet with Jeremy Osborn at the track to get his input on the track layout and his track prep do's and don'ts. The track will be so wet the day of the race that we will not be watering during the race. All watering will be done in the days prior so all we will be doing race day is turning the soil to bring up more moisture. I admit our track has struggled these last couple years, but thats over now. We are gonna set ourselves back up on the pedestal of One of Ohio's best tracks. Were on a bigger comeback than when "Rocky" got "The eye of the tiger" and whooped Mr. T in Rocky 3! You heard it here folk's. We got the eye of the tiger man. See ya.

We are gonna set ourselves back up on the pedestal of One of Ohio's best tracks.

If ever there were a track and location, that should be well ranked in Ohio, it is COCR.
Not many tracks out there are so lucky to have such great property features.

It screams out "natural terrain motocross".

i am not trying to be a doubting thomas or anything but you come on here asking who wants to ride a new track then come back with saying that COCR pretty much hasn't change a darn thing except to reface jumps and make it 20ft. wide everywhere....i don't think i have ever heard anyone complain about the track being too narrow and refacing some jumps sure isn't riding a "new track". having a track that is 20ft wide don't mean jack when there is only one fast way around the track.

Mr. Doubting Thomas. We did change the track. Not just refacing jumps. We changed the track. we did keep the big table top section, then the three jumps coming up to the down hill double. Which is now a faster ski/table top. And if you think that a narrow track is as fast as a wide track. Racing on a wide track where any combination of lines is possible is faster than a narrow track. Is there still gonna be a fast line, Yes. But with a wide track you can go inside to outside or outside to inside. If you want to ride single file thats cool too just get in back and stay out of the way. Just trying to help.

We did away with all the 180 turns that were one lined crap. We put in sweepers with a bank we even put in a off camber 3rd gear up hill turn in the middle to a sweeper with a bank going the other way. I don't think there will be any one fast line. There's no way you can hold a faster guy back now.

Back