Who likes to throw roost on a fresh cut lawn???

...an 82 RM250 with water cooling and full floater suspension is in another world than an air cooled 81 YZ250 with the old linkage less monoshock.

At a grass track race like this the old YZ probabaly has the advantage. Wish I had my '78 RM250 ready.....hmmmm....

Trevor any details on the race? How many laps, how long are the laps, Closer to a moto, or a GP????

On a course like that, a '74 YZ just might be the hot set-up! :cool:

If you and John convince enough people of this...there's gonna be a whole bunch'o guys buying up bikes with 4 inches of travel just so they can clean up in the modern bike classes for this race.

Mooch do you think that tall bikes with long travel suspension are the hot setup for a grass field with no jumps, and likely some tight turns? A nice low bike with 6" of soft suspension is the way to go! If I get my '78 going I'll race it in +40.

Based on the way an 82-84 RM250 watercooled engine runs in comparison to an air cooled engine, yes I'd take the "tall" bike. The holeshot alone would be a huge bonus and I'm sure the modern bikes are going to be creating some decent braking bumps that will give the "tall" bike another advantage. Hard to say what the track will look like but I'd bet it won't be filled with "tight" turns.

Surely you're not going so far as to say that a vintage air cooled bike that sets low to the ground would have the advantage over a modern bike on this grass track?

Some Grass,… a Cheap Motel Room and a POOL PARTY!!! ….
…..I’ve been begging for this all summer….
Only goes to figure I’m going to miss it!....

Mooch, you do realize that this is exactly why AHRMA, the AMA, and anyone else that has a vintage race or series has such a hard time. No matter what you do, there are people / bikes that don't fit in well and they raise all kinds of greif for everyone and want another class where "their" bike is not the "turd" of the class, but a viable weapon against other bikes in the class.

It's a one off race for some fun........ bring what you got and run it in something. It doesn't have to be capable of winning the class to have fun running on a grass track in front of a hotel, just have some fun. If you are in need of a class that fits your bike perfectly, go to an AHRMA event instead, they make sure that your precious YZ fits in the right age group.

I doubt that anyone will "protest" you and take away your prize money for riding a 1981 YZ in the vintage class, except maybe me cuz I have a 1983 dual shocked and aircooled Husky 510 TX fourstroke that rules in the Air Cooled, Dual Shock Class!!!!! Don't make me use the "his bike isn't dual shock bike card at signups!"

Just kidding, have fun and ride for fun.

Yep, I do the AHRMA and AMA vintage days thing where they're able to break classes down pretty well, have also gone to one off vintage and pitbike races where it's not broken down into classes... either way it's fun.

Just getting out and having the opportunity to ride an old bike with some other old bikes is a good time.

mooch, ever ridden a vintage bike on a smooth grass track? :)

My '73 360MX does starts even up with modern 450s on a smooth grass start. :D

I believe the lower suspention bike have an advantage on the grass tracks. The tall RM 84 bikes are harder for me to ride. I do have a 77 yz 125 to bring .

Someone just bought a new razor, they should bring that.

Also, grass race Saturday. Pitracer racer party to follow check out Sunday and head 15 minutes to NEMX for preview ride for only 10 bucks. If every weekend could only be this convenient.....
Nemx...awesome

You guys who are gonna ride that smooth grass track on low slung bikes from the 70's in the modern bike classes will get some serious props from me after you've holeshot those tall 450's, then lengthen your lead in the corners and ultimately wheelie across the finish line in first place! Would be awesome.

Trevor any details on the race? How many laps, how long are the laps, Closer to a moto, or a GP????
2 moto format. Lap times shouldn't be to short. Probably like 8 lap races.

If we get enough riders to show we will add a PV class.
But honestly I bet a good rider will post consistent lap times on any decent machine.
Maybe we will have to let the top 3 from each class have a coup de grâce after the final race just to find out!!!

Also Pyma has a race on Friday and TV Land has a MX on Sunday. This could be a great way to get the most racing in for the least amount of travel.

Just wondering... not saying that it's a bad idea or anything... but how in the world did you convince the proprieters of a respectable motel that it would be a good idea for them to have a dirt bike race on their front lawn? I have a country club with a golf course near my house-- do you think they'd be as accomodating?

Any class that would allow an old man to run a CRF150F by any chance? A KX100? I'd hate to miss such an event... ya know? --Tony C.

Ya mean plus 40? I'd get smashed on an 11 horse 150F. I was thinking about running the KX in 40+. I was hoping to get in on the dual sport party with the 150... OR... I was hoping he'd have a pit bike class. I don't really care that much-- I just can't believe they're having it really.

Back