Favorite local rider.....

Just remembered, anybody remember Brock and Adam Bechtel (sp?) racing each other at western reserve sat. nite supercrosses? pretty good stuff there too.

John Shay and Dale Spangler . Also remember seeing Jeff Hicks a long time ago at Yankee Lake . Also Tom Carson

Lots of different era's here, Pustalak and Robinson were mentioned, so we also get Al Pizzano(sp?) in there too and both of the Hand brothers. I also was a Yankee Lake the day Jeff Hicks was there. I remember watching him endo trying to double the two large single jumps just after the start. Does anyone have names from the Harbor Woods days? Matt Manfredi won a lot on his Can Am, There was John Ayers, Mike Misko, Leland Musquire, Sam Fodia.....

Emery Anden from Belle Vernon. Dude won EVERYTHING in the mid '80's in D5, Also Charles "Chinky" Godby, Timmy Coombs, Gary Pustulak, Tommy Carson was blazin' fast. Davey Yezek too.

Don't forget Dave Scott from Fairmont, WV who won a LL Experts class in 1982 & could smoke many of those guys on a brutally rough track.

I was another rider who grew up racing D-5 & that list if riders put on quite a show for us almost like watching the National riders at times.

Chinky Godby was something to watch ride as he also came to Pyramid Valley doing things none of us at time imagined you could do.
Sadly he lost his life in a first turn pile up at Hi-Point on a National weekend. If I remember right is was 1982 where they were running
a different track over hill behind the pro-pit area.

Bob Grega was another great rider from Fairmont WV who had great finishes both at LL in the early 80's & in 1984 think he finished around
11th or 13th place in the 250 Nationals at Hi-Point.

One of my all time favorite from back back in the day was Denny Swartz as he was racing Maico's at the time & did fairly well.

Our all time favorites has to be Brock Sellards as that is one great guy. He was at Scenic practicing about 8 or 9 years ago when my daughter
was just starting to ride & was telling her he is one of the local riders we see on tv. She wanted to go meet him but I hated to bother him so
casually walked up introducing her to him....we were not bothering him at all as he talked to her quite a while, pulled a poster out of his truck
autographing it & for that is #1 in my book as many would have blown her off but he did not.

Least favorite has the be Jeff Stanton as my oldest daughter like him but at a National at Budds Creek he was all pissy after loosing a race
and would not do an autograph for her which is devastating to a young kid.

If you are a pro never blow off the kids as many are looking up to you.

Emery Anden from Belle Vernon. Dude won EVERYTHING in the mid '80's in D5, Also Charles "Chinky" Godby, Timmy Coombs, Gary Pustulak, Tommy Carson was blazin' fast. Davey Yezek too.

We saw Emery at Sleepy Hollow in '83. Smoothest rider I ever met. Had some nice dogs too!

Honestly I live watching Jeff Gibson ride

Love watching Gibson ride. Saw him down at Sunday Creek last year, mud race. He was still killing it. You would have thought it was dry out there.

But my all time favorite was Tysen Leggett. I remember being at malvern when I was on mini's and he was always a front runner. I thought he ran a race a few years ago, but haven't seen him much. Still see his dad around alot.

Antoher one was Ryan Lucas, Spring Valley Jawbreaker on a KTM65. Enough said.

+1 and brock sellards, rode with him at spokes and spring valley on his fmf honda. just when i thought i was going fast he flew by me like i was sitting still lol

One of my greatest accomplishments, not getting lapped by Brock Sellards! One of his last races in the B class. I rode my butt off for like a 10th place finish in a moto at Kenworthy's. Hear a bike coming up on me as I take the white flag, look over and it is Sellards taking the checkers. Great moto for me there, and he had an awesome moto lapping through 11th place.

Greg Rand was always fast and smooth as he was coming up. Forgot all about Brad Strunk until someone mentioned him. Mark Musselman was always a smooth fast A guy riding KTMs before KTMs were cool. Josh Steel was fast.....sporting the open face helmet LONG after they went by the wayside...

"Brock Sellards once he was a professional and riding at Beans all the time was awesome because he'd be there and have others like Grant Langston with him. Who wouldn't want to see some of the top riders in the world out practicing at the same time as you are. You get a firsthand look at why they are PRO's and you're a JOE when they are on the track with you."

Yeah, I remember those days too...it was sweet to see Grant rip up Beans track for sure...I also remember previous years when he was at Spokes and had Brian Deegan with him (before he went all Metal Mulisha stye)....
Good memories
:cool:

When i was 8 i think.....Charlie Dunaway? Was that his name. I always thought him sellards and Sam yanetelli were the fastest men on the planet.

Used to watch Tod Getpart out at Cidleys rail turns all the way around. Super fast and smooth. Damn that goes back 20 years. Trevor Vines as well.

+1 on Gibson, Burkhart, Rand, Strunk, Dunaway, Josh Steel, all the D11 guys. They were always neat to watch.

Tom Carson and Jeff Hicks almost legendary battles at Malvern ( Motosport Trails) had everybody lining the track to watch . Joel Andrews ( Fred's older brother ) winning all his motos in all his classes time after time on 125 to big bore Kaws was classic . My favorite was Frank Gallo who was mostly an ISDT and enduro rider , but when he showed up at a MX event even the local fast guys were nervous . He would throw a 495 KTM around like a mini and wasn't smooth ; just fast as hell .

When i was 8 i think.....Charlie Dunaway? Was that his name. I always thought him sellards and Sam yanetelli were the fastest men on the planet.

Kind of forgot about Charlie.. Katin used to bring him over to my house to ride all the time. He was a cool dude for sure. Too bad he got hurt. Used to ride with Yanetelli at Millers alot too, and he would always be with Boyas..

Damn, those were the days..

Yanetelli....bought boyas house off of 71 he has a track there and has been riding big bikes...that's a sweet compound over there...jay hersey should be able to,confirm. So if your driving down 71 in medina and see big whips.....

Definatly Micky Marshall blew my wig back when I watched him ride. Steve Andrich is still super bad on a scooter too.

Back