Concrete or no concrete????????

Dirt start with Concrete whoops.

Concrete starts are to try to make all gates the same and fair.

i like dirt.

I can undertsand and would prefer dirt starts on a bike, but as one of the biggest quad draw tracks, I hope your polling would go beyond a bike racing forum for taking any action. For me, I'd prefer a concrete start by a longshot, and not having to wait on track operators to rebuild the start area after every gate drop.

Concrete!!!! It's good to have some variation at the tracks. They run or have ran concrete starts on some of the outdoor nationals!!!!

I do have to admit, I always forgot my broom, or just didnt care. Raise the gate and just push dirt over the concrete.

I think a while back the AMA made all the national tracks have a concrete start. Then a few years ago, they went the other direction, and make them have dirt starts now at the nationals.

Yep. The push for AMA Nationals to go concrete was around 1996. The gate setup, when done right (as Georgie mentioned "broom finished") will be very durable. The only maintenance the gate needs is shoveling out some dirt from the gate mechanism's trench. FWIW, to my knowledge the concrete pad is still there at Kenworthy's. I'll verify this coming summer when I go fishing!

I always gated better from dirt. The first time I saw concrete I was confused. Some people have good technique for getting off the line on concrete, some do not. The same applies to off-cambers and whoops too. Startup costs for concrete will be higher, but long term costs will be lower if it is done right.

Malvern needs a significant change and as it is only the start it would b a drastic change. I been racin there for like 20yrs and hasnt it been the same since? (20 yrs is a long time lol) Just b nice for a change, yall should really bring back the old school tunnel just like back in the day haha. Good ole days

I remember the old tunnel. Right behind where signup used to be! I remember barely making it up that tunnel every lap on a pw50. Lol

Ahhh the old tunnel with the speedway after it..

May have said it already, but when I was about 12 or so I remember Jason and Tom Kelley battling and there was a section that dropped down to the pond and then went right back up. TK hit Jason pretty hard and Jason ended up with a twisted up leg. I remember it like it was yesterday.

Even though the track is pretty fun right now, sometimes I miss the old track.. I also miss the WHOLE gravity cavity! We need to be droppin in from the top and leave that new step up so it can be hit straight on instead of out of the downhill off camber..

I think any changes made , people will like or will adapt to liking. Like everyone else said malvern has been the same for how many years , i also heard people saying or talking about changing the holeshot corner to a left hander :)

Kenworthy was concrete. The weekend of the pros I think Chuck reed got the hole shot on the concrete start and led a lap.

Back