Thoughts and prayers for Joe Rice #23

Well put Joe. You love the sport, you've met great people/friends and it's just time for a departure from the riding....for right now or permanently. Moto will always be in your blood and whos to say that as you get older and wiser you may not putt around somewhere someday....I know many a times I said I was done....as long as you keep your current perspective and always weigh the risk/reward to what your wanting you will make the right choice...good luck in whatever you do and keep the focus on walking! Coming home from the hospital and eventually no more doctor follow ups will be like winning the lottery!

Get a rzr for sure! With age comes a cage they say. Goin ridin in my rzr with my group of friends is downright terrifing! Everyone I wheel with is an ex moto guy, and we all drive like were still on bikes. If your lookin for an adrenalin fix, a side by side is up your ally. I will warn you though, if you think moto is expensive, start savin now. Its easily a 30000-40000 investment. And thats if you trail ride. Also the quailty of parts on side x sides is terrible, not even close to a bikes quality. Id say in the last year I have more in parts than the cost of the machine. Its worth it to me though, its way too much fun!

You could always turn a wrench. Factory mechanic would be a nice title. Not sure about wanting all the headaches that come with it tho!

You could always turn a wrench. Factory mechanic would be a nice title. Not sure about wanting all the headaches that come with it tho!

A lot of politics with that. And a lot of debt to go with it.

But yea, I mean I can see Joe in a rzr and I can also see him mangling that thing to the point of no recognition. Joe's insane.

Factory guys might make some decent money, but how many of those jobs are there? I think you could make more working out of your garage on local people's bikes and ATVs, even at $40 an hour shop rate. IIRC Dan Hissam made $500 a week to wrench for Casey Johnson in the Outdoor Nationals in 03 or 04. That was all the race day work plus race and practice bike mods and maintenance. He could change out a crank for us in a couple hours and I would pay him $100. And Dan had a Mechanical Engineering Degree and had worked for GM as an engineer. Most of these guys wrenching do it for the love of the sport too.

But yea, I mean I can see Joe in a rzr and I can also see him mangling that thing to the point of no recognition. Joe's insane.
Thanks George! Lol. But what can I say, when you're right you're right! Lol. And as far as putting that much into a rzr, I think I'll pass on that too. Lol.

I got a call from the dr's office this morning. Not what I wanted to hear. I can get my final surgery as soon as this coming Tuesday, but they can't get me in until August 14th. Pretty bummed about this especially since until this surgery is done, I'm at a stand still for the final healing process to begin. They've got me down that if anyone cancels I'll be.the first to move up, but I'm sure everyone else is as anxious as me to get their work done. :-( Everyone please keep your fingers crossed for an opening for me so this 6-8 week period will be here sooner than later.

Joe, that's why it will be so damn good for you to to see everyone tomorrow out at WRMC. Hope to see everyone come out and give Joe's spirits a big boost!
As far as leaving MX and bikes behind...don't even try Joe! It's in your blood for good and always will be! Especially at the level you've done it at and for the length of time. Agree with hanging up the riding boots, but we'll figure the rest of it out. Ok, gotta go turn that track into Moto Paradise!!!
C-ya tomorrow!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Joe. Hope for an AWESOME turnout to help you out. Wish I could make it but the ribs still sore and my bikes apart waiting for Mr Gorr to return my 144 !! It's great to see people of the moto community rally together to help another rider! Big props to Western Reserve and all the people making donations, raffle prizes, etc... in order to make this happen. Also a huge thanks to the fact we have a Pitracer website and the people running it because without them the word to special events like this would never get the amount of exposure it has. Ride on !

I couldn't agree more Loneranger171. We are very lucky to have all the people helping out with their time, donations and kind words. And stoked doesn't even begin to explain how I feel about tomorrow. Like you said, I'm definitely in need of a little pick me up. And I cant wait to see everyone tomorrow.

Back