How was opening day at OIR? worth the wait?

mike just needs a solid ride and hell be good to go. dudes always had talent, had some ups and downs but i think hes getting to where he needs to be!!! i think some of the ppl sayin hes washed up are just people from back down south that are a little jealous lol..

Mikes a squirrel haha JK! I watched him at Beans and I wondered how I ever went that fast.

As far as OIR I think he is lacking a fellow racer to help him out that is willing to go the extra mile. It like BJ and I at Beans, it's not fun or easy to get that place prepped, faced, ripped, tilled, ect with just the two of us. But BJ has done it so many years he has it down for the most part. I myself have raced all over the world and I know what it should look like if you want a good day. The downside is if not enough guys show it's to muddy at the beginning and opposite if a lot show up. I feel like its a never ending battle getting it ready. That being said I think Chris will step up next time cause he has no choice. I prefer it muddy cause I know later it will be good. So put 30k gallons down the night before because it can't soak in in a few hours. The ground heats and the water is gone. I love OIR and have some great memories there.

Hey Brock, we missed you out there Sunday. I thought for sure you would "borrow" a bike and head out there!

Dave

It takes a huge effort to do what the Hands & George did in the past or what the Cliff is doing now as they put a tremendous amount of work into the track.

In years past I would call Carl Hand to see if he wanted to go racing somewhere & his standard answer 1, 2 or even 3 weeks before is we have track work to do. They
would water the day before from sunrise to sunset taking a huge amount of time & fuel. That family did what about only 1% of the tracks do & it showed.

Sounding like the new people running it will need to cut their teeth as it takes a while to figure out what to do as it can be a no win situation if the weather turns.

As dry as it has been (desert like) it would take days of watering to soak the ground to what you were normally seeing in the past. Like someone above was saying if the
riders can barely make the first lap of practice due to being extremely muddy that will be a sweet, rough track with many lines in the corners!

OIR was always a fun track to ride & hope the new crew gets the hang of it as running a track it is one thankless job for little or no return.

Miss those days.. I remember I had a pair of Cody Calkins' bark busters on my bike still from a harescramble I rode at WR the weekend before.. I really miss SV..

Mcdade--from the little I saw--you looked awful good. (this is Chris Carr's grandmother) Wish you could rub some of that off on Chris. I Love him to death but I'm one of the first to say what a waste of talent! Can't get him to take things serious enough to really work at it. He started out looking good - bad start - dead last - went up to fourth fairly quick - got arm pump - then got nailed in a corner - must have caught his arm - came in with a noogy on his right wrist. That ended our night. That is why we didn't see you in the other 3 motos. Heard you took them all. Good job.
Surprised to hear you have never raced OIR. If you had you would understand the upset. We have been going there for years even before the Hands took it over. They took an old worn out, beat up track from the past and turned it into one of the best tracks in Ohio. It was (as someone else mentioned in a previous post) our understanding that they were forced out by the property owner. It's a shame because they really put blood sweat and tears into the place. Now we all are paying the price because we lost one of the best tracks around. We can only hope that they will see the writing on the wall and get it togeather. Unfortunately, it will take a lot to convince us old timers and loyal OIR people back. We tried it once last year and ended up leaving even before practice began. There was absolutley no way I could talk Chris into going there even before he got hurt at Malvern. He just flat out refused. Anyway, happy to see you doing well.

Mikes a squirrel haha JK! I watched him at Beans and I wondered how I ever went that fast.

As far as OIR I think he is lacking a fellow racer to help him out that is willing to go the extra mile. It like BJ and I at Beans, it's not fun or easy to get that place prepped, faced, ripped, tilled, ect with just the two of us. But BJ has done it so many years he has it down for the most part. I myself have raced all over the world and I know what it should look like if you want a good day. The downside is if not enough guys show it's to muddy at the beginning and opposite if a lot show up. I feel like its a never ending battle getting it ready. That being said I think Chris will step up next time cause he has no choice. I prefer it muddy cause I know later it will be good. So put 30k gallons down the night before because it can't soak in in a few hours. The ground heats and the water is gone. I love OIR and have some great memories there.

Brocks right it takes more than one guy to make any track work. We need three to get our act together just for prep. If he was ironmanning it that was even more insane. I wouldn't try that if I had a week. That would take big balls.

And lol on the tired from prepping Brock. If i didn't have Gonz staring me down I probably would ride our practices. Thanks Gonz!!

1.) DO NOT DO A TOTAL OVERHAUL ON THE TRACK. Fix the bad spots, rework some faces.

Why are you so against a complete overhaul of the track? Changes in layout, jumps, and even as simple as direction breathe new life into tracks. With all due respect, I'm not so sure we can use the phrase, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Well it sounds like OIR was even worse then I expected. Which sucks.

The good news is I think this is fixable for these guys. I don't personally know the owners but it seems as if maybe they have never managed a large project like this? When there is that much at stake you should welcome some custructive criticism from multiple parties half way thru, that way if you didn't get it quite right you still have some time to salvage your efforts.

There are plenty of excellent track designers in this area with a proven record. Sellards and Hitchcock's have done great work at Beans as well as JO at the Cliff. Reach out to these guys or talk to someone that has some experience with track design. I'm sure OIR still has some great features. I think had you held a few open practices in there as well that would have solved a lot of headaches.

It's not easy running a track and I would certainly give OIR another shot if they held some open practices in the future.

Why are you so against a complete overhaul of the track? Changes in layout, jumps, and even as simple as direction breathe new life into tracks. With all due respect, I'm not so sure we can use the phrase, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
Hands perfected the layout for 10 years. The track is a true mx track. That's what I loved about it. Not everybody appreciated change.

Who wants an overhual at redbud?! NOT MANY.

You can look at it this way.. red bud in its current state needs changed back to a lay out it had 10 years ago because it used to be perfect..

Change oir's layout and you may be saying the same as I do about red bud.. I think the lay out only needs minor tweaks..

Red Bud did make changes. Some may say it's good others not so good. They added a ton of sand. Now the trick is to remember it not a true sand track. Once that sand blows out which it does quickly you are down to hard sharp edged ruts. They can go out and prep and a few laps, wham it's right back to those hard sharp edged ruts. It can be quite deceiving and makes bike setup a nightmare especially if you don't understand what is happening. All tracks have their problems. With OIR it's not to whether to change or not it's learning track setup and preperation. Last year they had a lot of rain. We left before practice even began. They were only discing a few inches down. We heard others left that time after the first motos. This year they had the opposite scenerio and missed the boat again.

I am posting in hopes of bringing some understanding. If you read this, than you care.

Definition of FREEDOM
The power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrances or restraint; Absence of subjection to foreign domination.
Synonyms: liberty, independence

My first ever post on Pit Racer was in defense of OIR 3 years ago when the Hands operated OIR. The thread was titled “OIR Brutal”. Well here I am again, this time in defense and judgment of the owner, the crew, the facility, the track, the operation, the riders, the emts, the fans, the sponsors, and most importantly judging myself first before I judge anything else. The intent is to be honest.

I was there helping. I worked all day at Malvern, went home, got 2 hours of sleep and was at OIR at 6am immediately going to work. I accept responsibility also for the day at OIR. We screwed up. We were wrong. We are sorry. We want to do better. We are not giving up. We are moving forward. We hear you. We will grow and mature. Will you please forgive us for our faults and mistakes? WE DO CARE ABOUT MOTOCROSS AND MOST IMPORTANTLY THE PEOPLE!!!
On July 4th, 1776 we declared our independence from England to form our own nation under FREEDOM. Freedom - to be, act, say, do, or worship in any way we deem fit. Then what followed was a war for our freedom that many gave their lives both trying to make FREEDOM a reality and others to keep the captive in bondage. WE WON!!! We are here today because of war, struggle, courage, and death. First off, please take a look at your life, remember your heritage with thankfulness and be thankful for all that has been given you, and all that you are able to do. Without thankfulness in your heart, you lose the very foundation of your own character, attitude, and discernment.

In high school from 8th to 11th grade, I was made fun of every single day. They even put a picture of me in the yearbook with the caption “Why does everyone make fun of me!” I am not entirely sure what really happened for all this to happen. I know that my personal life was in shambles from watching my mom get beat, to living in a battered women’s shelter, to parental drug and alcohol abuse, to living without running water, being neglected and emotionally confused about life. This caused me to be a quiet kid in school. I was socially awkward, shy and scared. This lead to one kid starting a rumor about me being gay all because I was quiet in school and then it just went out of control. Every day, in and out I took the abuse and never really defended myself. Why! I had something no one could take away…I love dirt bikes. I would go to Malvern as a boy all the time, all my school projects were about dirt bikes, most of my thoughts were about dirt bikes and hatred towards my family and my peers. In many ways motocross saved my life and has in many ways helped shaped the man I am becoming. A few months ago, 8 years after graduation, I went back to the school and spoke with the seniors about these very things…that you never know what someone is really going through and what gives us the right to put someone down. Some amazing things happened as one kid broke down crying about how he lives with his grandma, his mom is dead and his dad wants nothing to do with him. He is misunderstood at school and an often time takes his frustration out on his Grandma, the one person who loves him most. So there are far worse things taking place in the world we live in the some brutal track conditions and a poor operation of a race track.

Chris Mosher, Owner and operator of OIR. By a chance happening a couple years back, I answered the phone at Kames and it was Chris. After talking with him for about an hour, I was in favor of the man. His attitude is what impressed me most. He had a vision and a passion with zero experience and a lack of knowledge what our local MX community is all about. I once heard someone say that I would rather hire someone who knew nothing and had a good attitude than someone who knew a lot with a bad attitude. This was the case. I have supported the efforts of Chris since then and am more passionate in standing with him now then I was then, the same way I stand with us, the riders.

He announced sometime, I am not sure, that he was delaying the start of the 2012 race season to make improvements. He did not have an entire year, only months, prolly 6-8. Within the beginning of this year he lost some friends that were helping him out. I don’t know why, and it’s not our business. I only know that friends going in together to undertake something they have never done will test the friendships, sadly often times ending up in disaster. Then he lost his main partner just the day before the race. I know all these people individually and would enjoy being parked next to any of them on any race day if I were racing. Hopefully in time, those friendships will be repaired. I know that everything rises of falls on leadership and that when the buck stops with you, it is never easy, NEVER!!! In fact, it will try the very man that you are no matter what you’re leading. I know if Chris wasn’t a promoter and he was parked next to you on race day and you needed a tool, he would give it or that if you had someone go to the hospital, he would help you load up. Please don’t let the performance of OIR let you make Chris out to be a bad man, because he is not. Or thankfully in all cases I know of, other promoters. He does care and he does work and so do others.

Also, his dad, the founder of OIR was recently diagnosed with dementia, causing Chris and his family to move in with his father to take care of him, to take over his dad’s upholstery business, to maintain his own full-time job and operate a racetrack. I really understand this. Last fall I announced on hear that I was quitting the race track and going to school to become a fire fighter. Well, I am back at the track, I dropped out of school and have always been for the last couple years to become a preacher. What happened??? My father all last summer was drinking heavily (the one who told my handicap brother and I that he and his girlfriend couldn’t afford to take care of us anymore due to health issues, and that they were taking all the items in the house including the dogs, bought a trailer, were moving out and that we had to find our own place to live. All before before I started my senior year of high school and before my brother was able to take care of himself.) and he was constantly calling me talking about killing himself. He was drinking 2 bottles of vodka and a case of beer a day. He was crawling from bead to couch, not showering, not eating and pretty much giving up. The dogs were being neglected. It was downright disgusting situation. I finally told my dad, no if, ands, or buts you’re going the hospital. He was nearly dead when the EMTS arrived, they couldn’t get a pulse in his arms and he started to go to into diabetic shock as soon as they arrived. I believe he would have died that day if I hadn’t gone down. He hated me for days, saying nasty things to me, I was just helping him. He was in the hospital for two weeks and then went to the nursing home 7 months. In March he was released, he was sober. He and I moved in together. I had to quit school, It was literally physically impossible for me to work full time, go to school full time, find a place to live, move him in, and take care of him. I had to quit school. Once again, my parents hindered my life. Today we live together in peace.
Just last Friday, I went to the funeral of a man who shot himself because life got to him. These things in life are sad and happen to many. So please, give Chris a break. I know the man cares and wants to do a good job. I know he will hear people. He just doesn’t know what right is for this race track. Will you help him instead of hurt him? You will be better for it!!! I say this for all race tracks. Even with Jason at Malvern, I didn’t tell him, but I was upset when some people would be his friend to his face and then bash him behind his back. I asked them if they voiced their concerns to him, and they said no. REDICULOUS!!! You cannot fault OIR or Malvern for lack of effort, YOU CAN”T!!!

This is the first time I have been truly ashamed of the motocross community as a whole. I understand your frustration about OIR, I DO!!! But for someone to call Chris just to tell him he sucks!!! For people to be downright vicious towards the people working. All the while, you don’t hear Chris making excuses or defending himself by in large, he just stated he is sorry and wants to do better. Who are we??? We can be better people than this. WE CAN AND SHOULD BE!!! I am so thankful for the promoters that really care and put effort in. I will always back you up. I am sorry for the beating and lashings you take from us that hurt and degrade you. I am sorry we lose our tempers. I am sorry we don’t take an honest look at what it takes to operate a race track. I am sorry we disrespect you when we feel we were wronged. I am sorry that we often times default to anger instead of understanding. Will you please forgive us our faults? Will you please keep working hard for us to have places to ride? THANK YOU TO ALL TRACK OWNERS!!! THANK YOU CRA FOR HOSTING A SERIES!!! THANK YOU PHOTOGRAPHERS!!! THANK YOU TRACK WORKERS!!! THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR CARING ABOUT US ENOUGH TO PROVIDE US WITH RIDING!!!

When I first showed up that day, I ran into Bob Reddick, father of Ryan Reddick. He was frantic and sweating trying to get water in the ground. I could see the sincerity and determination in his eyes. I could see it in all the workers and volunteers at OIR. Even Ryan himself was running the gate. To say nobody at OIR cares is downright foolish. Thank you everyone who busted their behinds that day in 90+ weather.

OIR even gave all money from their last practice last year to the Reddick family. I know these people care.

None of us are perfect, and we shouldn't expect perfection from others.

This is taking longer than I was thinking; I have to go to grannies for lunch. She is 86 and still swings a hammer!!! I will finish this post tonight. THANK YOU FOR READING!!!

I will be at the upcoming practices to help OIR. This track needs our understanding and help. It will take patience.

You're right that was deep. Unfortunately no one likes to be judged or critisized. As a business owner of a medical facility it is up to me make certain that we are providing the best possible care and when that goes wrong I have to take responsibilty. The point missing in this senerio is the welfare of the riders. It is a dangerous sport even under the best of conditions. It's all well and good to apologize for the condtions of the track and to strive to do better next time but it better be a quick study because the welfare of the riders is at stake. When someone gets seriously injured or worse because of his lack of knowledge the apology will too late. I hate to be harsh but that is just the way it is. If a diabetic loses his or her foot because we failed or did something wrong in fabricating the appropriate foot orthosis how far will my apology go. We chose to quit going to OIR because we saw and heard how bad the track maintenance was. We have always supported the track even before the Hands took it over and we would continue to do so but not at the expence of seeing Chris get hurt because track conditions aren't what they should. We generally stay away from steel city for the same reasons. This year someone got smart for the regional held there and they did an excellent job of maintaining the track and I gave props for doing so. Malvern has been doing much better also and props should be given to Jason. Even running both quads and bikes (which we all know is difficult to pull off) he has been doing pretty good. So it is OK to give props where props are due but also OK to state greivences when they are warranted.Being made fun of because of the way you look or present yourself is just not the same thing. Few of us have probably had the severity of your problems in life and give props to anyone who can overcome that and become the person you are today. I won't quote scripture but we have all heard let those without sin cast the first stone. I myself try not to judge lest I be judged but In this case I am not judging Chris' sincerity I am however judging his ability to provide a safe track for the riders. If for whatever the reason he can not provide this then bow out and let someone at the wheel there is to much at stake here.
I love it when you post because what you say is so heartfelt. I love you for putting your spin on things. Your sister in Christ.

Back