How was opening day at OIR? worth the wait?

Its always hard to accept criticism but I do agree that not all of this was criticism but attacks and that is a shame. I do believe there was a heartfelt apology from Chris (who i do not know) and I appreciate that because i believe it was sincere and an acknowledgement of the day...enough said! I wont restate anything else from other posts. I think Chris should not give up but should put this in the past and move forward. I think some practice days would be great & help you get the track where it needs to be. I feel like I screw up all the time whether its saying something dumb, not saying something I should, coming up short as a parent or wife and i would fall to pieces if I was attacked like this for it.
I say be encouraged because you have a great place and good people around you and if you need people to come ride have a smile, give ideas and encourage you look us up :)

Hope everyone is having a good 4th!!!

The one man that crashed hard was older; he knocked his head pretty good and banged up, otherwise seemed ok. I haven’t heard about Austin Pateos (I think that’s his name), someone posted earlier that it may have been a broken arm. I sent a friend request to him on facebook, haven’t heard anything yet. When I was over there, he was moving everything and nothing visibly stood out, so I don’t know. He was in real pain when they strapped him down. I don’t know anything for sure to the extent of their actual injuries but hope to. If anyone knows anything, please share, we want to know. (Will get to the subject of EMT’s later)

Chris’s grandma, I can’t remember your name. Please tell me again! I really struggle with names; I meet a lot of people, which is great, but hard on the memory. I appreciate your encouragement. The point of the first post was basically about our attitude towards life and towards people. I am glad Chris Mosher’s sincerity is no longer in question. I agree with your post and am going into that further now. Your absolutely right...TRACK SAFETY!!!
Also what someone posted earlier… no one sets out to promote a race badly. Also, I am not on here to defend or put down anyone else’s posts. I am only speaking from what I can say from my own experience. I am trying to be very careful in not saying anything from speculation or partial knowledge of other issues, circumstances or happenings.

So, Part 2……

I am still sticking with Chris as promoter, he just needs to know what’s right concerning the track and he wants to. I think his attitude as a leader for OIR is great, but track design and safety is his weakness and understanding and executing the proper plan of operation from all aspects. I called him yesterday as a friend. I asked him what was the hardest thing about that day and he said letting everyone down. He also said he intends to open up for practice, he doesn’t know when, but when he does he wants the track to be right. The dirt needs serious moisture before anything can be built. This is our opportunity to help keep a good track with a strong heritage moving forward. If he hasn’t listened before, I am sure he is now, which he was before, just doesn’t know what’s right, which is from no experience, but as we reasoned he does care and he is willing to put forth the effort.

As far as how the track came into his hands…he is the son of the only owner, that’s a given. What went down between him and the hands, I don’t know for sure. It’s not our business either. I know something’s, but can’t say for sure. I do know that Chris is not greedy or after just the profit, after all, last year was a bust and he’s paying out of pocket right now. I don’t know what happened is what people perceive or have heard. I have heard and said things myself. If I did know for certain, I wouldn’t tell anyways for respect to the people involved. We should lay that issue to rest and what’s between the hands and moshers is between them. All I know is we have a promoter who knew nothing about racing and didn’t want to see what his dad created die.

So from here forth, I will be volunteering my time during practice days to help. I’m not good at building jumps, but can see things though, like the cupped out jump after the big sand turn, the wrong lipped finish line jump, and the downhill jump where people crashed. When we watered first thing, that jump was smooth and looked like a smooth launcher, but kind of small for the gap without a lip, and eroded quickly, which I didn’t take notice till after the second crash. I have seen people crash there before the moshers and didn’t think much of it until the second guy crashed, I also didn’t see the full sequences of each crash. None like to see a rider go down no matter the circumstance, it’s never good, but we make the sacrifice. When someone crashes there, it always hard, like the jump at Malvern that Josh changed after you round the big light tower in the center jumping down towards the pond. I didn’t make it into the back section all day. There was a kicker in the pro step up too, and I wasn’t sure about the rollers. I do like the direction and layout of the course overall all though, only seeing about 70% of the track. If anyone is willing to step-up and help for the sake of keeping a once good racetrack alive, please step up. PM me to get Chris’s phone number to help get this track physically in shape or would like to help at all. I wouldn’t promise anything for you to gain from it financially, maybe some free practices and some food, I dunno, but the real reward is in helping because you care. I am not helping because I am partial to Chris, but that I stand for motocross. Maybe Granny Carr, your family could come out and Chris could help fix some jumps, I dunno, just an example. Or Jeremy from Malvern may be willing to come out, again, just an example. Someone suggested putting in some practices before you attempt another race, which at this point I wouldn’t think about a race, you don’t need to, get practices and track prep dialed in, that is your only hope.

As for the facility…no toilet paper, yikes, that should never happen. I liked the way the place looked for sure. The grass was cut, banners were up, buildings were painted and it looked sweet. Could use a wireless microphone that doesn’t have interference which is minor right now compared to anything else. No national anthem…bummer! Liked the pavilion which was added last year and cemented. There is also a beam in the sign-up building that I keep hitting my head on, maybe knock some sense into me hopefully. That can’t be changed, just need to watch out if you’re tall. OOUUCCHHH!!!

The crew…no or little experience operating a race (except Rae Lynn and her people at sign-up and myself, that’s all.) The desire, the work ethic and the willingness is all their though which is the first step. The crew isn’t changing so they just have to learn what needs done and when it needs done. I love the crew, they are easy to work with and get along with. No one complains about what they have to do, they just do it and work together.

The operation…YIKES!!! They still pulled off a race though in its entirety. I learn new things every race.
Good things…EFFORT, PASSION, WILLINGNESS, SACRIFICE
Bad Things…
1. Lack of experience, but gaining, comes with time
2. Lack of knowledge, but gaining, comes with time
3. Tractors move to slow by operators, and the red one is just slow. Got to work with the equipment you have for now though. Get those tractors moving faster but safely.
4. Because of the lack of experience, leader and operators don’t have a planned routine of breaking down track prep, and at times don’t recognize or utilize windows and the right timing, again which all comes from experience.
5. No national anthem.
6. Water tank fills up to slow. IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!
7. Flaggers…some were good, some need to learn to wave the flag.
8. Need more radios, COMMUNICATION!!!
9. More people on foot trackside or the ones that were there need coordinated better.
10. As is clear…track prep!!!

More on the track…over all it was unsafe. A few key things made the whole track unsafe, you have to ride the whole track, so a portion of unsafe track makes the course unsafe in my eyes. The new changes were made with no weather getting to them, so they all crumbled. You know, prepping a track is like trying to paint something beautiful. I think most riders have sense of what good dirt is, but getting it that way is another story. It really is an art to prep a track right after the course is properly built. It’s also something that just takes time. Some of the jumps and obstacles were unsafe. Some of that might have been resolved if weather got to them. The dual lane section doesn’t make sense to me. Track points have been better pointed out by others, I didn’t ride the track nor seen the whole track.
The EMTS…I don’t hold OIR accountable for this, they were under the assumption they hired trained and equipped professionals…I hold the state or national testing accountable, YIKES!!! I’m sure these guys were not experienced and there were people around, so that always adds pressure. First off, they didn’t talk to the rider to find out there state of consciousness and didn’t do a good job examining injuries. It is always smoother to carry the backboard than be on that UTV. Both riders that went down hard hit their head. No c-spine or any stabilizing. They pretty much man handled these men. Austin wasn’t screaming until they strapped him down. These guys just weren’t good…plain and simple.

The Riders and Fans… I felt bad for everyone that day. I get people being upset to over people getting hurt and because of just delays. The fire didn’t help. That was just out there. But it was a rough day. I can definitely appreciate someone telling me the truth. I want someone to tell me the truth, good or bad. People that are closest to me, tell me the truth. I am always concerned with my attitude and want others to be also. That’s why I talk about that a lot pertaining to the rider/track relationship. I am guilty of having a crappy attitude also. I am truly thankful for all of you; you have impacted my life and heart in ways you don’t even know. I will listen a lot, but usually hear someone when they have a good attitude. I try to keep in mind no matter the attitude what is true. THANK YOU!!!

The Sponsors…Thank You!!!

RESOLVE???

I am going to help OIR for the sake of Motocross. What makes up motocross? We do!!! I am not promising OIR will ever get right, and I won’t post on here that it is until I know it is. Chris said he will not reopen the gates till it is right. He doesn’t know when it is right so, so how will he know? If we help him, then He can learn. I am asking anyone really willing to do something for the sake of motocross…DO SOMETHING PLEASE!!! I want OIR to become OIR again. Lay all personal issues aside, forgive, and forget. Let’s move forward as a Motocross Family. I have seen some very wonderful things done by the motocross family for riders. This is another opportunity. So anyone willing to help please take a stand. OIR will not be OIR again if we turn our backs. OIR has to much potential to go off the map. This would be a last ditch effort and Chris knows it. I refuse to turn back now. We can pull this off.

To Chris...Please look and listen to what is going on. Let us help you. I want to help!!! I hope your friendships will be restored. You’re my friend no matter failure or victory, the same goes for the MX FAMILY!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR READING! I LOVE THE MX FAMILY AND AM THANKFUL TO BE HERE WITH YOU!!!

LET’S HELP FIX OIR!!!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR READING! I LOVE THE MX FAMILY AND AM THANKFUL TO BE HERE WITH YOU!!!

You are hands down the coolest guy I have ever met at the track well besides Dan Frye lol. I love the way you high five the riders on the line my son even told me thats the coolest thing heck you even high fived me lol. You keep up the good work everything else will fall in place.

Jarret, I can't speak for my grandson Chris but I think if he was asked he would help. Chris has always been good at dialing in a track quickly. Even as a child he could recite each and every turn of every track we had ever been to, even years later. I wish he could apply that talent in other aspects of his life.
Jarret, my name is Kathy Kinsey. I listened to your very first service at OIR. I am not a rider, never have been however I have supported my husband, my son and now my grandson in their mc passion. We have been to tracks all over the country both motocross and flattrack which was my sons original passion. He was a pro flat tracker in the early 90's switched to MX after being diagnosed with a brain tumor. He just couldn't stay away from the motorcylces. He rode even while ill on chemo. I'm sure Meister can remember all this. I believe he was 14 at the time and he and Erik were extremely competative over who would get the holeshot. Erik was small enough that he was one of few who pull off a third gear start on a 250. Also his years of experience flat tracking and pulling hole shots didn't hurt. Meister would ussually pass him in the first lap or two. Erik wasn't a great motocrosser just great at hole shots! Plus being weak from chemo he couldn't keep the pace for long. Anyway, my point is..well I'm not sure except to say I am just as passionate about the sport as any of the riders out there. It breaks my heart to see what has happened to OIR. I always looked forward to going there. I am certain that there would be many out there who would be more than happy to check out the track. Dave Smith has been at it a long time and has his own track. I am sure he would also be a good critic to have on hand. I'm sure he will send his love to me for volenteering his services!

Erik's 3rd gear starts created some massive holeshots (maybe a few at OIR too if I remember correctly)! He would really have to botch a start for me to pull one on him! I remember gettin tore up on starts by him regularly at Malvern and Spring Valley. Dude was like a fly ridin an elephant and that big number 38 Kawasaki just took off and on flat first turns like SV, his flat trackin skills showed up too! He was one of the dudes I loved racin with cuz no matter the outcome, the dude was smilin.. I was 14 the year the Erik and I raced alot together. To put it lightly, I can verify the passion that the entire family has for the sport in general.

I would also venture to say I could call Chris and get his ass out there to help at OIR too..

Hey this is Bee, just wanted to put this out there, I would be willing to come out there and help fix some jumps and redesign some sections if need be. I have 16 years of experience at building tracks and a whole lot of tracks at that lol. I don't think any promoter needs 11 different pages of this. I think he got the point, now lets fix it so we can get back to racing!!!

It is settled. Thank you all for stepping up. Chris and I are going to meet in the coming weeks and come up with a course of action. Those of you who offered to help, we will be talking before long. Thank you everyone!

I really dont think the layout is your problem. Leave it alone, you cant move dirt when its this dry unless you water it as you go.

Use the track the way it is, hold your scheduled practices and just water the hell out of the track. Maybe Im wrong but I think you will quiet up 98% of the complaining by simply watering the track properly.

I really dont think the layout is your problem. Leave it alone, you cant move dirt when its this dry unless you water it as you go.

Use the track the way it is, hold your scheduled practices and just water the hell out of the track. Maybe Im wrong but I think you will quiet up 98% of the complaining by simply watering the track properly.

My home track was perfect this week with the rain.
If they are going to fix some jump faces and do some touch ups.....It should be ok this weekend.
But I am with you track lay out looks fine.

THIS IS GREAT!!! Thank you! Chris and I will meet to figure out a course of action and then will be calling on the people that offered. We got to get it right. Chris is out of town this weekend for the upholstry business. I figure the track will pretty much stay the same, just fix whats there for now and do a good track prep for practice. Have to get some rain though to be able to fix anything or else it will be tough. The August practice date has been changed to TBA, so we will see. This is so awesome everyone, thank you! Once we know more, we will keep you all updated. BBBBBBBRRRRRAAAPPPP!!!!!!!!

THIS IS GREAT!!! Thank you! Chris and I will meet to figure out a course of action and then will be calling on the people that offered. We got to get it right. Chris is out of town this weekend for the upholstry business. I figure the track will pretty much stay the same, just fix whats there for now and do a good track prep for practice. Have to get some rain though to be able to fix anything or else it will be tough. The August practice date has been changed to TBA, so we will see. This is so awesome everyone, thank you! Once we know more, we will keep you all updated. BBBBBBBRRRRRAAAPPPP!!!!!!!!

awesome! looking forward to that first pactice, hoefully they run a few extra more then planned :cool:

Sounds like Chris has his hands full with family and business. When was the last time their family actually operated the track? It's got to be like 20-30 years no? Hands operated the track for the last 10 years and before that I remember Dave Safaro (sp?) running it all the way back into the 80's.

This is a really tough time to try and step back into the track running business when you have a other things on your plate consuming your time and energy. With the ease of information sharing now, if you don't do everything perfect people Tweet, tag, & post all their complaints within a matter of minutes.

I'm not trying to say that Chris can't do it, but what about stepping back and letting someone else run the track again? I can think of names like Jason Rogers, Brock/BJ, etc. that really know how to run equipment. Even if it was just partnering up with guys like that for the big events to help out.

This past race sort of reminded me a little, on a smaller level, of the Youth Regional that took place at Scenic Highlands. Tim & crew were completely overwhelmed by that race and even though the actual race days (Sat/Sun) turned out great, the only thing people remember is the blinding dust on Friday for practice (which was due to equipment issues Tim didn't properly plan for).

I think one of the interesting comments I keep seeing is "they kicked the Hands out because they saw easy money in running the track..." I can't help but laugh at that. It's their property! If they wanted EASY MONEY wouldn't they just sell the property to a developer or something? Heck that's probably what I would do! Then I would roll into all the other tracks in my $500k hauler and get on here and bitch about the dust at their track! haha

In the end, I'm glad they aren't giving up and pulling the plug on the track. It's easy for all of us to get on here and tell them how they should do things, but in the end they have to make the decisions that they think best. It is their property and we are all fortunate to have been allowed to use it for our hobby for so many decades. We are also fortunate to have had the people step up and run the track in the times that this family was not running it themselves. Good luck with it all!

We were there for that regional. It wasn't just practice. During the race (can't remember which day) it got so bad there was a crash during one of the races and they just kept piling up on each other because you just couldn't see. Papa stewart was there with Malcom and he was on the phone to someone supposedly from AMA with some major complaints. They were having trouble with one of their watering trucks--in fact Larry was working on one of them. It was my understanding that Broken Spokes had offered the use of their equipment prior to and Scenic had not taken them up on it.
I don't think they kicked the Hands out they just kept raising the lease. That was a rough year for OIR too if you remember they had several rain outs. We could sure use some of that rain now.
I would think that all those people you mentioned are pretty busy trying to keep up with their own tracks but perhaps would be free to help now again with specific races if it didn't conflict with their own race schedule.

Sorry I have'nt been back to reply, I was out of town. I have been reading all of this however. First could we please leave the Hands out of this. What I mean by that is out of respect to the Hand family im sure they would rather not be involved, nor have the past brought up again.I agree they did awsome and I am not even close,and thats an understatement. Second yes this has been rough, Im giong to take a break till we get some real rain. Maybe until September Im not sure. Thank you for all the help jarrod, Im very glad to have you as a friend! George I met you that morning and was blown away how hard you worked for me. You and Rae Lynn saved me that day. And to all that have offered help THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully soon we can all meet ! Thanks again everyone I will make you all proud, or die trying !!!!!!!!!!!! Chris Mosher

Back